Help removing shotgun bead sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help removing shotgun bead sight

larryg2
03-07-2010, 14:26
Folks, I know this might sound simple to you, but I'm about to try to remove the front bead sight from my Mossie 590 to install a new Meprolight tritium sight. I just want to know if there's anything more I need to be aware of before I do this.

I think all I need to do is grap the tiny nut under the original bead sight with a small pair of vice grips and unscrew it.....is that correct? Is there anything more I need to know?

eisman
03-07-2010, 15:30
Well, you can do that. Odds are you'll leave a neat mark on the rib as the pliers scrape the finish.

And if they used a threadlocker (usually they do) your very likely to break off the post. That's fun to repair.

Tape off (masking tape) the surrounding area. Make a wrench out of flat steel stock the size of the "nut". Heat the sight with a soldering iron, and then turn off the sight.

badr1
03-07-2010, 15:34
grinder=bad i know from experience dude....you know what i mean :tongueout: no really do what other guy said its the best way a really small box end wrench works well also

larryg2
03-07-2010, 15:38
Well, you can do that. Odds are you'll leave a neat mark on the rib as the pliers scrape the finish.

And if they used a threadlocker (usually they do) your very likely to break off the post. That's fun to repair.

Tape off (masking tape) the surrounding area. Make a wrench out of flat steel stock the size of the "nut". Heat the sight with a soldering iron, and then turn off the sight.

Ahhh, heating it up is a great idea! The bead is not on a vent rib, it's on the barrel itself.

Do you think I should give this a shot or just bring it in to my gunsmith?

badr1
03-07-2010, 15:43
Truthfully if your having doubts about your abilities I would take it to a smith. I doubt it would cost much @ all probably a whole lot cheaper than trying to fix a "dummy mark" BTW not calling you a dummy just the best term I could grab from my 1911 experiences :wavey:

eisman
03-07-2010, 18:58
if your having doubts about your abilities I would take it to a smith.

True wisdom, always.

larryg2
03-08-2010, 14:08
Well, I decided to give it a go today and the old bead came right out with a tiny pair of needle nose pliers....no problem.

The problem came up when I screwed in the new Meprolight replacement bead. It threaded nicely and neatly but when it was screwed all the way in, the new bead was cocked to one side and I could feel it from the inside of the barrel. This is the replacement bead indicated for the Mossie 590, but it doesn't seem to fit properly.

Guess I'm going to stop by my gunsmith to see if he can shave some of it off properly and use some locktite to get it right.

This is the one I"m trying to put on:

Meprolight ML34044 Tritium Front bead replacement
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-meprolight-shotgun-beads.png

eisman
03-08-2010, 17:56
By cocked to one side do you mean it's not aligned with the length of the barrel? Or when looking down the barrel it's off to one side or the other?

If the first, that's normal. You just didn't install it correctly.

All those sights need to be fitted to align corectly. This is because the sight manufacturer cannot control the exact start and finish of the thread pitch in the hole. The way the sight is finished is the base (the part that will sit flush on the barrel when installed properly) is carefully removed (needle files) until the sight is lining up correctly when installed. Next you take and remove the excess so nothing hangs into the barrel. You do this carefully, because if you don't you can destroy the threads and the sight won't thread back into the barrel, or it won't stay in place when you fire. (It's very hard to find those little sights when they go downrange.) Then you install the sight with some thread locker. Let it cure, and then clean up the inside of the barrel.

larryg2
03-08-2010, 20:33
By cocked to one side do you mean it's not aligned with the length of the barrel? Or when looking down the barrel it's off to one side or the other?

If the first, that's normal. You just didn't install it correctly.

All those sights need to be fitted to align corectly. This is because the sight manufacturer cannot control the exact start and finish of the thread pitch in the hole. The way the sight is finished is the base (the part that will sit flush on the barrel when installed properly) is carefully removed (needle files) until the sight is lining up correctly when installed. Next you take and remove the excess so nothing hangs into the barrel. You do this carefully, because if you don't you can destroy the threads and the sight won't thread back into the barrel, or it won't stay in place when you fire. (It's very hard to find those little sights when they go downrange.) Then you install the sight with some thread locker. Let it cure, and then clean up the inside of the barrel.

Eisman, yes it is not aligned with the length of the barrel. I got this far with no damage done...but tomorrow I'm bringing it to my gunsmith who is also a very talented machinist. I'm sure it'll be worth the cost to have him do it correctly rather than my ruining the sight or worse.

Thanks for all your help and advise.

larryg2
03-09-2010, 14:32
Yep, God save all gunsmiths!!!!

10 minutes and $15 later, my gunsmith had it on perfectly and locktighted forever!!!!