How many mags? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many mags?

sjones
03-07-2010, 14:12
I assume most of you are like me, in that you have way more loaded mags than you can carry,if you had to bug out how many mags would you carry with you?Not how many you'd like to have but how many to carry.I am a small guy and 66 years old.I think I can carry 4 tapco 30 rounders in a bag and 1 metal one in my ak but thats it.how say you? sj

Jmzzl
03-07-2010, 15:25
I believe I have 8 mags total, incuding a drum. I have a mag pouch that holds two mags, and a drum pouch coming in the mail this week, and both are gonna be mounted onto my backpack. I'd keep those, plus one on the gun. 3 mags, 1 drum.

sjones
03-07-2010, 15:33
I've got 15 fully loaded but there's no way I can carry all of them if I have to leave.Depending on the situation I may just stay home as I live about 5 miles from a small town and about 25 miles south of dallas.My house is already stocked with plenty of food,water,candles,lanterns,first aid kits,firewood,ammo,and other guns from .22's to 12ga.sj

javelinadave
03-07-2010, 15:49
10 for every gun is my goal. To the OP, if you are using Tapco mags for bug out purposes you may want to rethink that. O.K. range mags but for survival I vote no.

Jmzzl
03-07-2010, 15:58
10 for every gun is my goal. To the OP, if you are using Tapco mags for bug out purposes you may want to rethink that. O.K. range mags but for survival I vote no.

I second that. My WASR came with 1 Tapco mag, and it's just setting unloaded on my dresser. Plastic doesn't belong on an AK!

Adionik
03-07-2010, 16:05
My girlfriend bought me a Tapco mag for my birthday. It looks like a great piece as far as quality goes, but I would much rather have some steel ones.

I want atleast 10 magazines and a drum...so far I have 3 lol.

sjones
03-07-2010, 16:07
Dave,I've thought about that but I've never had a single malfunction from any of them but you may be right.I can easily switch back to my metal ones,in fact it may be a good idea. sj

War Hammer
03-07-2010, 20:13
Dave,I've thought about that but I've never had a single malfunction from any of them but you may be right.I can easily switch back to my metal ones,in fact it may be a good idea. sj

Even if they function well at the range, the Tapco mags just can't handle ANY abuse. The all plastic locking tab breaks off with alarming ease. No locking tab = no magazine. A dropped rifle or catching the mag on a doorframe will pretty much destroy a Tapco mag. Dropping a metal mag may bend the feed lips, but they can be bent back. Dropping a loaded Tapco mag will likely break the feed lips. Again, no feed lips = no mag. Quality metal mags are just too inexpensive for anyone to bother having Tapco plastics for "bug out" use.

As to your original question, it depends on your "bug out" situation. If you're worried about TEOTWAWKI, zombies or other fairy tail "what ifs", then you need all the ammo you can physically carry. Realistically, for urban unrest (LA riots) or natural disaster (Katrina), 4+1 mags are plenty, especially if supplimented by a bag of, say, 500 loose rounds (or a sardine can of 700). If you get into a situation where you need to use your rifle, you just aren't going to burn through five 30-round mags all at once. Mags can be reloaded or topped off as needed from your supply of loose rounds. Carrying 12 or more loaded mags is just a waste of effort, in my opinion.

RWBlue
03-07-2010, 21:38
if you had to bug out how many mags would you carry with you?

Guns and ammo are heavy.
Most reasons I can see the need to Bug out are not shooting things.
If in a shooting event, I really don't want to engage in a 2 way range because surviving getting shot would not be fun.
I also know that if you drop a good AK mag, just right you can screw it up.

So for the vehicle, multiple mags.
I think I had 10 in the container.
If on foot 5.
There are more where I get to where I am going.

shotgunjim12
03-08-2010, 05:32
I've got 15 fully loaded but there's no way I can carry all of them if I have to leave.Depending on the situation I may just stay home as I live about 5 miles from a small town and about 25 miles south of dallas.My house is already stocked with plenty of food,water,candles,lanterns,first aid kits,firewood,ammo,and other guns from .22's to 12ga.sj

I will second that SJONES.

I will be staying put, I am not saying that I don't have a BUG OUT BAG but I will be staying at home where I have all my supplies and weapons. I understand that looting will be an issue and I have already accounted for that. The only people who could most likely survive breaching into my house would be the government "WACO style". Anyway hopefully none of this will ever be needed and my nieghbors will be correct in calling me crazy.

sjones
03-08-2010, 07:34
North Texas had a very heavy and unusual snow storm a few weeks ago,several thousand people lost power.But it was no problem for me as I had everything I needed already.I just threw another log in the fireplace and enjoyed looking out the window at all the snow.I am retired so I didn't have to be anyplace.Yeah,I'm crazy,like a fox.

Bilbo Bagins
03-08-2010, 08:55
I'm not even an AK owner (yet) but I try to shoot for 10 mags for a rifle and 6 for a pistol minimum. This is based on my experience in the Army and in LE.

Army standard loadout is 210 rounds, one loaded mag in the rifle and 6 on your body. That leaves you with 3 extras that can be used as spares or if things get real dicey. Remember AK mags are heavier and bigger than AR mags.

Standard loadout for a Police officer is a loaded Handgun and extra two mags. Again that leaves you with 3 extra mags.

I'm not saying you need to be loaded out like a soldier or a police officer for every little SHTF event, but if things go real bad you might have to be.

RWBlue
03-08-2010, 18:47
I will be staying put, I am not saying that I don't have a BUG OUT BAG but I will be staying at home where I have all my supplies and weapons.

There is a time to stay at home and there is a time to leave.
It is important to know both.

There are SHTF for guns and there are SHTF for no guns.

BTW, I am not saying that you don't know all the above. Just stating something for those that don't.

9mm +p+
03-08-2010, 22:55
It depends on exactly what kind of SHTF we're talking about, if it's the slow kind where most folks will sit home and wait for someone to save them then the most that I can cram onto my person. If it's fast and we have to go NOW, my AK vest has 9 loaded mags in it plus I have some of the Ace 6 mag pouches ready to go as well but any kind of BO for us would involve at least 1 vehicle so weight isn't as big an issue for us. We live in the country so roads won't be clogged right away for us.

Puppy
03-08-2010, 23:11
I'd say 4 or 5 reliable magazines (ie not Tapco) should probably be more than enough to get you to where your going.

Granted more is always better but there is a point where mobility (or lack thereof) plays a more important role in bugging out, especially if you are on foot.

G31Steve
03-09-2010, 13:44
Bug out load for me are 5 Bulgarian circle 10 waffle mags and my 107CR.

moncoacp
03-09-2010, 18:59
6 g30 mags
5 g17, 5 g19, 5 g26 (3 with +2 extensions) for my g26
10 30 round and 10 20 round AR mags

BigNic
03-10-2010, 11:33
I agree with 5, 30 round AK magazines. 150 rounds in 5 magazines is just about right for getting out quickly in a SHTF scenario... a goodly amount of firepower, but not too heavy.

triggerjerk
03-10-2010, 11:46
I have 20 AK mags. Most are packed in grease still (bulgies).
Six loaded in an eagle chest rig.

I'd like to pick up some AK Palm mags and test them.

fnfalman
03-10-2010, 13:37
For the AK, I think that I got either 25 or 30 mags.

I know for sure that I have ten Bulgarian waffle mags. And I know that I have at least 10-ea of the 30-rounds Romanian/Yugo/Hungarian/Bulgie steel mags and a minimum of 5 Rommie 20-rounders. I can't remember if I have 10 or 5 of the 20-rounders. I could have up to 20-ea of the steel 30-rounders. I don't know, too many mags for too many guns. I can't keep track any more. All I know is that my minimum requirements are 10-mags per pistol (minimum) and 20-mags per rifle (minimum).

Z71bill
03-10-2010, 20:12
There is a time to stay at home and there is a time to leave.

There are SHTF for guns and there are SHTF for no guns.

BTW, I am not saying that you don't know all the above. Just stating something for those that don't.

I am tired - maybe not thinking - but unless my home is under water or on fire I am staying home -

and

I can't come up with a single situation -where if I had to leave home during a SHTF situation I will NOT have at least 2 guns. More likely more. :whistling:

Help me out - what SHTF situation will I leave home without my guns?

BTW - 40 AK mags - 10 loaded. Eight are my range mags - figure I might as well have them loaded - 2 are stored in the safe with my AKs.

RWBlue
03-10-2010, 21:29
I am tired - maybe not thinking - but unless my home is under water or on fire I am staying home -

and

I can't come up with a single situation -where if I had to leave home during a SHTF situation I will NOT have at least 2 guns. More likely more. :whistling:

Help me out - what SHTF situation will I leave home without my guns?

Off the top of my head, not knowing anything about your current situation.....

Well, if your home burns down, I assume you will want to leave. If it happens in the middle of the night while you are a sleep, I am betting that you will feel lucky if you make it out alive.

Train crashes and there is a unknown chemical cloud heading your way. If it is not on you, or sitting next to the door..

Snow/ice storms are the perfect example up north of a non-shooting SHTF. The power can go out. It could get very cold. Not much shooting going on.

On the flip side, SHTF like Katrina could be a shooting event. And TEOTWAWKI, would be a shooting event.

Porkchop
03-11-2010, 01:19
8 mags+1 in the AK