Cutting Recoil Springs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Recoil Springs?

Sparky5019
03-07-2010, 14:14
I am going to replace the factory spring and rod in my wife's G23 with an ISMI 13# on a Glockmeister captive GR. The free length of the spring is too long and the slide bottoms on it instead of the frame. I know it is common to trim these but how much to start and what does it do the "applied" (the rate when it is in the gun) rating of the spring. Currently it feels way too heavy (more than factory). Should I trim it just enough to get full slide travel then check for good lock up? What is your advice on this?

Thanks,

Sparky

JR
03-08-2010, 21:17
I have previously discussed this very issue with Mark Cosat, the owner of ISMI. Should you decide to do this, do not remove more than 3 coils from the 13lb spring. You could run into issues with the slide (reliably) returning to battery. BTW: A 13lb recoil spring is pretty light for a 40 S&W. I have not heard of anybody using anything lighter.

Are you sure you do not have a 13lb "full size" recoil spring?

Sparky5019
03-09-2010, 04:40
I have taken that up with the retailer. Full size is 36.5 and compact is 31.5, what I had was supposed to be ISMI and was in between. They have been sent back for confirmation. Not settled on spring rate just...still testing several. The full slide travel problem was paramount...I would not use something that would not go positively into battery. Thanks, any further info much appreciated.

Sparky