Going to start reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going to start reloading

peapadamoose
03-07-2010, 15:49
Ok guys I've decided to start getting into reloading, due to the price and availibility of ammo especially 10mm. I picked up the ABC'S of reloading and I will read it cover to cover. Maybe more then once. I want to learn the right way to reload because of the obvios dangers involved so I will read and take any advice you seasoned reloaders might have. I guess my first question is what is a good first setup for my first reloading kit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..:wavey:

Brian

alwaysshootin
03-07-2010, 16:39
If those that reload all chime in you will get a ton of different opinions, and here is mine. I have two reloading benches, with three different presses mounted. If I had to do it again, there would be one, and the only press mounted would be the "Lee Classic Turret", period! It will do it all, well except 50 BMG, but you get the idea.

Besides the press, you will need a scale, micrometer, and load recipe book. On the first two buy the best you can afford, and you will have forever, and if taken care of will outlast you.

You will need a set of dies, and once again I'd recommend the Lee carbide 4 die set with the factory crimp die. For about $20 you can also get the Lee disk powder dispenser that attaches to the top of the powder through expanding die in the Lee die set.

Once you have the recipe book decide on what bullet weight, and powder you will need to get to get rolling your own. Hope this helps!

oldsoldier
03-07-2010, 17:02
Just my opinion but the best setup is one that is capable of turning out the number or rounds you want in the time you're willing to spend doing it and at a price you can afford. That could be anything from a single stage press to a Dillon 1050. I currently use a Dillon 550B for all pistol and a single stage press for all rifle loads. Take your time and do a lot of research before puttng any money down. Remember that you are unlikely to save a lot of money. You will probably spend just as much as you do now for ammo on components but you'll be able to shoot a lot more.

10mm29
03-07-2010, 17:14
Well I won't go into how to reload because there are others who can do a better job of that.

The only thing I can say is if I was starting over and knew I was going to be reloading a lot of pistol I would buy the hornady lock-n-load progressive. It can be had for just over $400 and includes the powder measure and does priming so you don't have to buy seperate equipment for those tasks. Throw in the 5 free boxes of bullets (you pay 14.95 shipping though) and it is really a good deal. I'm sure i will own one very soon.

You still need a scale and I find myself using a dial caliper not a micrometer. All the powder companies have load data online, so buying a book for that is not necessary in my opinion.

alwaysshootin
03-07-2010, 17:18
Well I won't go into how to reload because there are others who can do a better job of that.

The only thing I can say is if I was starting over and knew I was going to be reloading a lot of pistol I would buy the hornady lock-n-load progressive. It can be had for just over $400 and includes the powder measure and does priming so you don't have to buy seperate equipment for those tasks. Throw in the 5 free boxes of bullets (you pay 14.95 shipping though) and it is really a good deal. I'm sure i will own one very soon.

You still need a scale and I find myself using a dial caliper not a micrometer. All the powder companies have load data online, so buying a book for that is not necessary in my opinion.

I agree on dial caliper, I used the wrong tool, almost no use for a micrometer, sorry.

I will disagree on ever reccomending a progressive press, ever, for someone starting out. To much going on for a newbie IMHO!

peapadamoose
03-07-2010, 19:44
Thank you all for chimming in. I have read from some posts in some of the other reloading forums that The Lee Classic Turret is the way to go for someone starting out but again I posted because I wanted different opinions. To be honest I want the easiest method to reloading because I am just starting out. I have started to research the different components and tools and to be honest my head is spinning :faint:. I mostly will be reloading for my g29 because of the lack of available ammo and I might mess around with reloading some 9mm even know it's still cheap enough and I don't have much trouble finding it. I appreciate you guys helping me out and something tells me I will be asking for more help down the road.