Glock Hunting / Hiking [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Hunting / Hiking

StewRacing
03-07-2010, 20:33
I was just curious to see who, if anyone has shot a Coyote or a hog with their Glocks? I figured a Glock 29 / 20 would be best. I know one day i'll spot a PA coyote while out for hike as opposed to trying to purposely call when in, which is proving to be a challenge.

What have you all shot?

bustedknee
03-07-2010, 22:19
A coyote in Alaska.

A boar in Oklahoma.

Both with G33 (357Sig). It is what I carry and what I happened to have on me.

The coyote was headshot and went down like a bag of bricks.

The boar also dropped like a big bag of bricks but he was only stunned and jumped up seconds later. He must have jumped 6 feet. It looked like he had intentions of climbing the tree. The dogs backed off and I hit him again just behind the shoulder.
That time he stayed down.

I hit him too low and forward on the head shot. The bullet shattered the cheekbone below the eye but did no damage to the brain vault.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Boarskull.jpg

I had earlier tested the 357Sig Gold Dots on a fresh moose skull. I shot it once from the side and once from the front. Both bullets were found in the brain.
I have no doubts the boar would have been an instant kill if I had hit the right spot.

I am convinced the Gold Dots are the best bullet for hunting with the 357Sig. I tested all the different bullets I could lay my hands on.
Gold Dots were very consistent as to penetration and expansion.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/GoldDotExpandedverbiage.jpg

I agree with you that the 10mm's should be the best hunting load. However, the factory loads aren't what they were when they first came on the market. Reloading would allow it to reach its full potential.

I saw more and more G20's in Alaska over the last few years. A good handload is similar to 41 magnum.

Mad Man 666
03-07-2010, 23:10
I have been lucky and have not seen any Coyote or Mountain Lions on my day hikes but its just a mater of time as their population has been on the rise in my area.

Big Bird
03-08-2010, 11:08
A coyote in Alaska.

A boar in Oklahoma.

Both with G33 (357Sig). It is what I carry and what I happened to have on me.

The coyote was headshot and went down like a bag of bricks.

The boar also dropped like a big bag of bricks but he was only stunned and jumped up seconds later. He must have jumped 6 feet. It looked like he had intentions of climbing the tree. The dogs backed off and I hit him again just behind the shoulder.
That time he stayed down.

I hit him too low and forward on the head shot. The bullet shattered the cheekbone below the eye but did no damage to the brain vault.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Boarskull.jpg

I had earlier tested the 357Sig Gold Dots on a fresh moose skull. I shot it once from the side and once from the front. Both bullets were found in the brain.
I have no doubts the boar would have been an instant kill if I had hit the right spot.

I am convinced the Gold Dots are the best bullet for hunting with the 357Sig. I tested all the different bullets I could lay my hands on.
Gold Dots were very consistent as to penetration and expansion.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/GoldDotExpandedverbiage.jpg

I agree with you that the 10mm's should be the best hunting load. However, the factory loads aren't what they were when they first came on the market. Reloading would allow it to reach its full potential.

I saw more and more G20's in Alaska over the last few years. A good handload is similar to 41 magnum.

I wouldn't agree with this. I shot a fair amount of Norma 10mm back in the day and it was hot stuff for sure. If you stay away from the Federal Remington, Winchester brands you can buy some exceptional 10mm ammo from Double Tap, Corbon etc.

NickF87
04-02-2010, 15:20
I can't wait to use my NEW G32 on a coyote. :supergrin:
And hopefully I won't have to use it on a Mountain Lion, but i'll bring it along just in case :50cal: