Firing pin safety check question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin safety check question

cubbyjg
03-07-2010, 23:45
I was reading the section in the manual about doing the firing pin safety check. It says, "Pull rearward on the lug of the firing pin, pulling the firing pin all the way to the rear of the slide and then ease the firing pin forward until it stops in contact with the firing pin safety".

When i tried to pull rearward on the lug, it wouldnt go all the way back. Instead it would only move a tiny bit and then firing pin safety would click. I didnt put too much more forece into trying to pull the lug any further because i was worried i would mess something up. Is this normal or am i not doing something right?:dunno:

PEC-Memphis
03-12-2010, 22:46
I was reading the section in the manual about doing the firing pin safety check. It says, "Pull rearward on the lug of the firing pin, pulling the firing pin all the way to the rear of the slide and then ease the firing pin forward until it stops in contact with the firing pin safety".

When i tried to pull rearward on the lug, it wouldnt go all the way back. Instead it would only move a tiny bit and then firing pin safety would click. I didnt put too much more forece into trying to pull the lug any further because i was worried i would mess something up. Is this normal or am i not doing something right?:dunno:

Firing Pin Safety Check:

1. Push the lug on the FP rearward (toward the plastic slide cover plate). You should feel the FP spring.

2. Now push forward on the lug, it should NOT move far enough so that the FP is exposed at the breach face.

3. Hold the FP safety down (you should feel the spring), shake the slide back-and-forth along the longitudinal axis, you should hear it move freely.

4. With the FP safety pressed down, you should be able to press forward on the FP and the tip of the FP should be exposed at the breach face.

5. With the FP forward, release the FP safety, now move the FP rearward, the FP safety should "click" up.

It sounds more complicated than it really is, it is about a 10 second (at most) check.