What kinds of AKs are available? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of AKs are available?

Achped
03-08-2010, 00:22
Heres my dilemma, I love AKs. My wife doesn't.

I already have two AR15s, which was hard enough to justify. One has an eotech, one has an ACOG with other goodies. Two completely different systems on the same platform.

I have one WASR-10 bone stock (thats how I like it. Keep that crap off my AK!) Its gonna be hard to justify buying a Yugo that looks exactly the same. I mean at least the ARs have different optics on them, different stocks, different flash hiders, etc.

But for all intents and purposes a Yugo AK looks exactly like a Romanian which looks exactly like a Russian.

Maybe a Yugo underfolder? What different kinds of varients are out there? The AK must be wood/bakelite-ish and not tacticool.

shotgunjim12
03-08-2010, 06:12
This is what I did, I bought a safe and I didn't give her the combination. Just about all of my guns look the same I just tell her no honey thats not a new AK it's just a new stock or a new sight or I took the flashlight off of the AR15 the other day. Now if she finds out years later you can just say oh that old thing I 've had that for years now, you shot it last time we went to the range. Now if she says she doesn't remember shooting it lastime then ask why she doesn't remember spending quality time with her husband outdoors?:tongueout:

CarlosC
03-08-2010, 09:17
I wouldn't try to purposely hide it from the wife. That's just a bad precedent, but also my personal opinion. Address her fears...does she simply dislike AKs because they're AKs, or is it a financial issue?

No two AKs are exactly the same. Take a look at two examples you gave, a Yugo and a Romy underfolder. The differences include:
1. Receiver thickness (1.5 vs 1mm)
2. Front trunnion
3. Barrel thickness
4. Gas block
5. Front sight
6. Front sight insert (only on Yugo)
7. Rear sight insert (only on Yugo)
8. Handguards and stock (no pieces interchange between the Yugo and any other AK)
9. Receiver cover release (only on Yugo)

Achped
03-08-2010, 10:22
Its a financial issue. She would let me have a million AKs and a million ARs and the sweetest gun room on the planet if we had enough money.

I am active duty military and my wife is a school teacher, I can afford a $500 AK every once in a while. But to her, I guess she looks at it like if you get a WASR and a Yugo, its not like you have one $500 AK and another $500 AK. You have $1000 worth of AKs now. Even though those two AKs were bought 6 months apart, its still $1200 to her. And that is very hard to justify when they look the same. I can't pull the "collectability" factor like I can with Mosin Nagants either.

To my wife, this
http://www.precisionweapons.com/cartgenie/Images/Large/Item_CenturyArms_YugoM70B1.jpg

Looks like this
http://www.walkerfirearms.com/images/originals/72l_RI1166--WASR10-MilStock.jpg

PlasticGuy
03-08-2010, 11:51
So buy something genuinely different, like an Arsenal 107fr. That would have a black folding stock, and while it would cost more it might be easier to justify with her logic. "I wanted one with a folding stock, and it also has a heavier barrel and reciever for better accuracy."

Or, you could trade your Romy toward a nice Bulgarian or Yugo, and tell her you really like your AK but want to upgrade. I did a lot of that when we were just out of college and had no money. It was a lot easier to justify trading in, adding a little cash, and getting a genuine upgrade in quality and performance than it was to justify buying more guns when we really didn't have much income.

I agree with Carlos that the only wrong answer is to lie about it. I won't say that I tell my wife about every gun I buy, but only because we have enough money now that it doesn't matter. She doesn't tell me every time she buys a case of wine either, but I don't care as long as the bills are getting paid and we are still contributing our agreed upon amount into retirement investments. It was a different situation when we were just out of college. We needed to stick to a very strict budget back then, and communication was key.

Reswob
03-08-2010, 12:19
I don't see it either. Sure, you should get a new (better quality) Yugo or Bulgy or Russian AK, but then why keep the Romy too? You going to shoot them both at the same time? Sell it and your extra AR and get more different guns (or ammo!!).

alexanderg23
03-08-2010, 12:29
Amd-65

CarlosC
03-08-2010, 13:22
Its a financial issue. She would let me have a million AKs and a million ARs and the sweetest gun room on the planet if we had enough money.

I am active duty military and my wife is a school teacher, I can afford a $500 AK every once in a while. But to her, I guess she looks at it like if you get a WASR and a Yugo, its not like you have one $500 AK and another $500 AK. You have $1000 worth of AKs now. Even though those two AKs were bought 6 months apart, its still $1200 to her. And that is very hard to justify when they look the same. I can't pull the "collectability" factor like I can with Mosin Nagants either.

To my wife, this
http://www.precisionweapons.com/cartgenie/Images/Large/Item_CenturyArms_YugoM70B1.jpg

Looks like this
http://www.walkerfirearms.com/images/originals/72l_RI1166--WASR10-MilStock.jpg

Well, it's not like I don't know where you are coming from. I was in the military for 21 years and I was enlisted = DIRT POOR. There were times when I didn't buy guns for years simply because I couldn't afford it. That's the way it had to be. It seemed the only way I was able to afford them back then was to use my TDY money. That meant not going out and blowing it on booze and boobie clubs with the rest of the guys, but staying on base and saving the money. Whatever I made off the TDY I'd buy my wife something and save the rest for guns.
You can also save a little from each check, which is something I still do. It doesn't have to be a lot. Put away like $25 from each check. You'll be able to afford one gun per year at that rate.

shotgunjim12
03-08-2010, 14:02
I wouldn't try to purposely hide it from the wife. That's just a bad precedent, but also my personal opinion. Address her fears...does she simply dislike AKs because they're AKs, or is it a financial issue?

I guess I was wrong in thinking some people could still take a joke my mistake. I would never hide anything from my wife, she has a bigger safe than I do and she would be willing to use it too...

CarlosC
03-08-2010, 15:18
I guess I was wrong in thinking some people could still take a joke my mistake. I would never hide anything from my wife, she has a bigger safe than I do and she would be willing to use it too...

Jim, it's just us guys talking and in person I would have laughed had you made that comment. You just couldn't see me smiling over the Internet.

Truth be known, I actually did try to hide gun purchases from my wife at one time...until I got caught. Stupid me. I felt very bad. To make things worse, my wife then bought me a small box to keep my gun money in so I wouldn't have to hide it from her. Insult to injury.

As for the number of guns obscuring reality...it is so in my case. I mean at one time my wife was able to spot new guns. Then I hit 20 guns and it was more difficlut. Then it was 30. Then I made the 40 mark. Now, at almost 50 guns, she can't tell and doesn't try.

Jerrylundergard
03-08-2010, 15:38
Your wife makes a good point, why spend another 500$ on another variant of the 7.62x39 AK?

The easy answer would be to go with the Romak - 3 (PSL) 7.62x54R. You get a different caliber with more punch while still staying in the AK family.

fnfalman
03-08-2010, 15:58
Get an AK-74 in 5.45mm. It's different.

rich52us
03-08-2010, 17:39
what about getting a variant with a side-mount optic. She understands the need for different optics on the ARs?

98_1LE
03-08-2010, 18:43
Man up, take out a 401k loan, and buy the full auto AK the rest of us are too chicken to.

That way, when she asks why, you have two good reasons. First, it IS different from the other one. Second, you will look way cool on the Internet.

And no you cannot come live with me. :D

Achped
03-09-2010, 21:57
Man up, take out a 401k loan, and buy the full auto AK the rest of us are too chicken to.

That way, when she asks why, you have two good reasons. First, it IS different from the other one. Second, you will look way cool on the Internet.

And no you cannot come live with me. :D

You know, thats the only reason I buy guns! To look cool on the internet haha. Maybe I'll go ahead and do the full auto AK thing. Once I post the pic of that 3rd selector switch position I'll be the envy of everyone in the Kalashnikov Klub.

Get an AK-74 in 5.45mm. It's different.

Your wife makes a good point, why spend another 500$ on another variant of the 7.62x39 AK?

The easy answer would be to go with the Romak - 3 (PSL) 7.62x54R. You get a different caliber with more punch while still staying in the AK family.

I like both of these ideas. I've never looked into AK74s because of the weird ammo (or so I thought)

I have a ton of surplus 54R for my Mosins, would these fire correctly in a Romak? I understand the cleaning requirements for corrosive ammo I just want to know if it will cycle it with the cheap stuff.

what about getting a variant with a side-mount optic. She understands the need for different optics on the ARs?

Yeah, but I don't like optics on AKs. I am a huge fan of wood furniture and iron sights on them.

1985 4Runner
03-09-2010, 22:17
I love my Mak90, but I'm not a traditionalist either.

Nicoroshi
03-09-2010, 22:32
If you really want it then I agree with Carlos. Stack up some pennies every paycheck until you can buy what you desire. Let the wife know exactly what you are doing, and who knows. She may even surprise you with a gift of an item you've been dreaming of for a holiday or birthday.
My wife knows I am good with money (she should after being with me for 22 years, and married for 15) so lets me feed my hobbies when I know I can afford it.

As for her not being able to tell the difference that is really irrelevant. (Funds providing or saved up for): It is something you want. You don't question her shoe purchases do you?

Achped
03-11-2010, 22:06
I saw a post-ban Mak90 in great shape for 595 today with the thumbhole stock. I could make it pre-ban if I installed enough US made parts, but is that a good deal? I definitely liked it.

CarlosC
03-12-2010, 09:30
All MAK-90s are post ban but anyway...$595 is an ok price for a MAK-90. Seems a little on the high end unless there are accessories involved. It would seem to me that that it wouldn't achieve your goal of getting something different because it will look like a plain AKM to your wife once your done with a de-banning. It will also be $130 more expensive that an underfolding Yugo.

Achped
03-12-2010, 10:18
The same gun shop wanted $799 for an underfolding Yugo.

CarlosC
03-12-2010, 11:04
Ridiculous. Classic Arms has them for $469. You figure add another $40 for shipping and transfer fee and you have the same gun for $290 less. That gun shop is a ripoff.

Achped
03-12-2010, 23:06
They're my favorite so far, www.magnum50.com wants $1095 for a WASR.

plugger
03-12-2010, 23:20
The wife issue. 47 years later she can smell a gun that I just bought and tried to get into my den without notice. What do you do? Lie and be it a good one. Take it to your grave, God while understand what no wife will as he is a Man. No hell for gun liars. Just me thinking. Let's get back to the AK good stuff.

Achped
03-17-2010, 22:10
Just to let everyone know, I got a Bulgy AK74. It sucks I can't use my WASR ammo, but I like the way it looks. Pics when it shows up to my FFL.

Hopefully its put together alright.