Should I back down my loads in an aftermarket barrel??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I back down my loads in an aftermarket barrel???

G20gunner
03-08-2010, 00:49
I have some loaded 10mm in Starline brass, 180gr. MG JHP bullets using 9.5grs of 800-X powder. This load runs fine in my stock G20 barrel. I've ordered a KKM 10mm barrel and was wondering, because of the tighter chamber tolerances, will this load be safe? It's an established load in the manuals (Lee has 8.9grs. to 9.7grs), but I was just wondering.
Thanks.

G20gunner:wavey:

10mm29
03-08-2010, 11:15
I am in the same boat. I have some already loaded ammo for the glock barrel and a LW barrel on the way. I am going to load some lighter loads and work my way up just because it will be easy enough to do.

Considering that the load is less than max there should be no issue, it shouldn't be any different than shooting factory ammo but I like that saying "better safe than sorry"

If the load were max or more there would be no question to start with a reduced load for me.

I just noticed on Hodgdons' website they list a max of 8.7 grains of 800x for a 180 grain SIE JHC. I would for sure try some reduced loads fist if it were me.

G20gunner
03-08-2010, 11:29
I wonder why such a difference between Lee and Hodgdon data:dunno:. A full grain difference in max loads. Usually Lee is the conservative one.
I have some new brass comming in, so maybe I should work up again to be safe.
Thanks 10mm29, I appreciate the input:supergrin:.

G20gunner

hill billy
03-08-2010, 12:00
I have always shot heavier loads in an aftermarket barrel since, in theory, it is better all around.

AJE
03-09-2010, 22:59
I have always shot heavier loads in an aftermarket barrel since, in theory, it is better all around.

+1, I'm more comfortable with the brass out of an aftermarket barrel with hotter loads.