How do you mount extra ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you mount extra ammo?

CTfam
03-09-2010, 11:51
Really I'm just thinking side saddle vs rounds on the stock.

I have no experience with side saddles at all. I'd imagine they are much faster due to the location. The only thing that scares me is binding up the action by screwing some junk to the receiver.

I have the power pack on my Spec Ops (5 rounds on the stock) and this seems to be a much safer option since it doesn't interfere with the action. However, it is probably slower and it is somewhat bulky.

What do you folks prefer and why? If you run a side saddle has it given you any problems?

If my power pack fell apart while firing no big deal, but if those side saddle screws loosened up in the receiver that could be the end of your gun functioning.

Puppy
03-09-2010, 12:08
I prefer speed feed stocks over all of the other options, I really like the way the shells are tucked out of the way & don't catch on stuff.

Glock212327
03-09-2010, 12:08
I have a 6 shell saddle on my 1100 and it works fine. I have a 5 shell holder on my winchester 1300 butt stock. Tac Star is brand of side saddle that i have and since 1100's have no action (pump) there will be no problem. In your case i know people that have a pump has to cut a little bit off to make it work without problems. I personally like the saddle holds the shells in tighter and quicker reloads. Hope this helps!!!!

B Coyote
03-09-2010, 12:15
Carrying ammo on the gun ruins the balance, handling, and makes the gun snag everything.

I prefer a bag kept with the gun. It holds far more ammo, and a few other important items, too.

bc

hogarth
03-09-2010, 16:42
I have a 590A1 w/18.5in barrel. I've got a sidesaddle with 6 extra 00 buck and then a butt sleeve with 5 slugs. No issues with either to this point.

Z71bill
03-10-2010, 15:35
This is what I use -

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/z71bill/gun%20pics/P1000179.jpg

I have left it on (with shells in it) while shooting clay targets - after 25 rounds or so it did shift a little bit -

I figure the 6 rounds I have in the tube should handle any problems inside my home - and if I need more than that it is time to break out the AK.

Boeydafunk
03-10-2010, 16:11
I am looking to do the same thing for some rough use and was thinking about useing a beartooth neoprene butt cuff. See the thread four or five down.
same end game, buck on sidesaddle and in gun, slugs on the cuff
DaFUnk

CTfam
03-10-2010, 19:24
Ohhh some of you folks do both side saddle AND butt cuff??? Damn am I being out pimped here? :cool:

I may try a side saddle for the heck of it. Anyone have any problems with them falling apart and dropping screws into the receiver?

David Armstrong
03-10-2010, 19:47
Carrying ammo on the gun ruins the balance, handling, and makes the gun snag everything.
I prefer a bag kept with the gun. It holds far more ammo, and a few other important items, too.
bc
QFT! Plus 1! Right on! And whatever other accolades of agreement you wish to throw in there. Why so many folks want to make the shotgun harder to handle is something I have never figured out.
FWIW, when I was doing lots of instructing with the shotgun, I saw about a 50% failure rate for sidesaddles. Admittedly we were subjecting the guns to a lot more shooting and abuse than they would normally see, but still would avoid them.

Z71bill
03-10-2010, 20:18
QFT! Plus 1! Right on! And whatever other accolades of agreement you wish to throw in there. Why so many folks want to make the shotgun harder to handle is something I have never figured out.
FWIW, when I was doing lots of instruction with the shotgun, I saw about a 50% failure rate for sidesaddles. Admittedly we were subjecting the guns to a lot more shooting and abuse than they would normally see, but still would avoid them.

I don't even notice the 5 extra shells on the side of the stock - :dunno: Is a few extra ounces on a 9+ pound gun a big deal?

Figured if I ever get a visit in the middle of the night having a few extra shots would be a good thing - I use to stick a few slugs or 000 buck in the cuff (use 0 Buck in the gun) - but now I just keep more 0 buck.

Where do you keep your extra shells?

hogarth
03-10-2010, 20:32
I don't really notice the difference in weight for handling/shooting purposes when I have the sidesaddle loaded or unloaded.

I was always taught that the weight of a shotgun should be "between your hands" for best handling, and the sidesaddle accomplishes this better than a super-long extended mag tube, which can make the gun more muzzle-heavy.

SAR
03-10-2010, 20:52
This is the way our agency guns are set up. I often have a butt cuff on the other side also. There is no issue with screws falling in the receiver, etc. I do not notice any issue with balance or weight.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/bobmwr/FIREARMS/bm4.jpg

David Armstrong
03-11-2010, 11:26
I don't even notice the 5 extra shells on the side of the stock - :dunno: Is a few extra ounces on a 9+ pound gun a big deal?

Figured if I ever get a visit in the middle of the night having a few extra shots would be a good thing - I use to stick a few slugs or 000 buck in the cuff (use 0 Buck in the gun) - but now I just keep more 0 buck.

I can't address whether it is a big deal for you or not, as everyone is different. I certainly noticed the balance and handling being more problematic, as do many others. Some folks say they don't notice any difference.

I keep spare shells as follows, depending on the situation:
1. A two-round shellholder that goes on the belt. A velcro attachment mates it to the butt so I grab it as I grab the gun.
2. A DeSantis shell holder that has a velcro loop for the belt. For storage the belt loop goes over the sling where it comes with the gun when you grab it.
3. A split interior grab bag.

B Coyote
03-12-2010, 02:22

It may or may not be about weight with buttstock carriers. For me, it's having the shells on the stock when I put my face there to fire weak-handed.

I keep extra shells in a bag kept with the gun. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14420111&postcount=2

bc

B Coyote
03-12-2010, 02:24
SAR, what type of sling is that?

Thanks,
bc

MrMurphy
03-12-2010, 09:23
When I still had shotguns, I used a Tacstar sidesaddle.

Far better exist now (Mesa Tactical, 3gungear.com and others).

I've never liked the stock models, they're hard to load from if you keep the firing hand on the grip.

My solution (homebuilt) was a USGI pistol belt with 2 Rothco canvas pouches on them. Main pouch would hold 40+ 12ga and the small pocket would hold five slugs. Looped over the barrel of the gun, you could belt it on or throw it over the shoulder for backup ammo. With four rounds on the Sidesaddle and four in the tube.....If I needed a reload, I was probably screwed, but the ammo was there if i needed it.

Nowadays, Olangapo Outfitters makes a better version, basically a bandoleer/chest rig setup for shotguns, that holds a box of rounds accessibly.

Z71bill
03-12-2010, 20:37
I can't address whether it is a big deal for you or not, as everyone is different. I certainly noticed the balance and handling being more problematic, as do many others. Some folks say they don't notice any difference.

I keep spare shells as follows, depending on the situation:
1. A two-round shellholder that goes on the belt. A velcro attachment mates it to the butt so I grab it as I grab the gun.
2. A DeSantis shell holder that has a velcro loop for the belt. For storage the belt loop goes over the sling where it comes with the gun when you grab it.
3. A split interior grab bag.

Really? You have all this crap on your HD shot gun?:wow:

I figure if my home alarm goes off at 3:30 AM - I get up from a deep sleep - stumble over the 3 steps to my unlocked gun safe - grab the 870 - which has 6 in the mag / empty chamber/ trigger has already been pulled - safety is already OFF - so no need to fumble with any buttons - ready to rack a round into the chamber -

I will be in my underwear :embarassed:- and do not want to be messing with Velcro straps /attachments -
YMMV

AKJD
03-12-2010, 20:45
I hear people talk about side saddles messing with the balance of the gun then they stick an extended mag tube full of shells out there on the barrel. I find that for many the extended mag tube causes more problems with weight and balance then a side saddle. A lot of what should be on the gun is based on the individual shooters ability to shoot/operate the gun with the equipment installed. We used to have extended magazines but many shooters had problems with all the forward weight. We now run many guns with standard magazines with sidesaddles, some with ext mags and sidesaddles, some with neither. As with a lot of things one set up may not be suitable for everyone, varity is good because people come in a varity of sizes, shapes, abilities, and strengths.

Sidesaddles won't bind the gun if installed properly and not over tightened. A mag tube extension can also cause problems if improperly installed, a problem we had with operators that would remove it for cleaning and not know the proper sequence for reassembly.

David Armstrong
03-13-2010, 13:50
Really? You have all this crap on your HD shot gun?
No, I don't. Sorry if that wasn't clear. On my HD shotgun I have a little Safariland 2-shell holder attached with a piece of velcro. It comes off and clips onto the belt or waistband. It is kept on the HD shotgun so I will have 2 slugs if I need a slug. Pick up the gun, pull the shellholder off and clip to waist area. It can stay on the gun, but as I said I prefer to keep my guns pretty clear of accessories for fighting purposes.
I have a DeSantis shotgun ammo pouch. It is where I can grab it if I want to for the HD gun. When in storage it gets attached to the sling so if I need to grab out of storage and go it is right there. Take it off the sling, wrap it around the belt.
I have a shoulder bag with a split interior. That is where I store ammo (and a few other goodies) that I feel I might need for extended encounters. If I choose to grab it, I pick it up and toss it over the neck and shoulder. It is not attached to the gun at any time.

and do not want to be messing with Velcro straps /attachments
A piece of velcro the size of a dime doesn't seem to mess me up. It is not messed with at all.

B Coyote
03-13-2010, 13:54
That is where I store ammo (and a few other goodies) that I feel I might need for extended encounters.
There's nothing quite like access to a few other goodies in a time of crisis.

bc

demented
03-13-2010, 20:31
I once used sidesaddles, they messed up the fast handling and balance of my shotgun, went to strap on elastic buttstock carriers from Eagle industries-they stretched and lost shells, tried a Speedfeed stock, mine lost shells when the gun was recoiling. I now use plastic stock mounted carriers that bolt/screw directly to the buttstock.....these work.

Shima
03-14-2010, 12:49
I once used sidesaddles, they messed up the fast handling and balance of my shotgun, went to strap on elastic buttstock carriers from Eagle industries-they stretched and lost shells, tried a Speedfeed stock, mine lost shells when the gun was recoiling. I now use plastic stock mounted carriers that bolt/screw directly to the buttstock.....these work.

Something like this one?
http://www.combatstocks.com/instructions/shotshell_instructions.cfm
It looks like something I'd like, but I don't know if it would work with the Benelli Comfort Tech Stock on the Supernova. Anybody got an idea?

22highcaps
03-14-2010, 19:03
The Mesa and Vang Comp side saddles are designed to eliminate the binding issue so do not let that hold you back. Also, remember that the trigger plate of a shotgun is held in by pins with no real form of retention. With a side saddle you have pins that are retained by screws.

I had considered a butt cuff, however it interferes with shooting weak side and is slower compared to a side saddle.

LemonAJAX
03-14-2010, 21:03
Ohhh some of you folks do both side saddle AND butt cuff??? Damn am I being out pimped here? :cool:

I may try a side saddle for the heck of it. Anyone have any problems with them falling apart and dropping screws into the receiver?

well i think you're worring over nothing.. most of the side saddle shell holders simply replace a few pins in order to hold it on. there are no 'screws' in the receiver..

CTfam
03-14-2010, 22:55
^ Thanks. I'm reading great reviews of the Mesa Tactical side saddles. I think I'll give it a shot. I just ordered some goodies for my pump. Going with a more simple design. I'll post pics when I can.

slewfoot
03-15-2010, 02:07
I rely on a plain jane 5+1 mossy 590. If that ain't enough, I will drop back to the bedroom and touch off the claymores.:upeyes:

CTfam
03-15-2010, 14:49
I don't have claymores... But if I empty seven rounds of 00 buck and there is still a threat then it's AK time! :2gun:

That is if I can still fight blind and deaf in soiled boxers. :faint:

B Coyote
03-15-2010, 15:46
That is if I can still fight blind and deaf in soiled boxers.
I think this is a much more valid question than most would care to admit.

bc

CTfam
03-15-2010, 19:53
Yeah and once you're released from prison a home depot trip will certainly be in order. You'll be patching up your house and probably your neighbors.

Better than being dead.