Educate me on charter schools in Alabama [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on charter schools in Alabama

Cobra6
03-09-2010, 14:01
Please educate me on charter schools in Alabama - there is so much crap on TV ads - and I have not researched the real issues/motives.

glockkramer
03-11-2010, 21:00
Here's a pretty good (but generic) article about charter schools.
http://www.publicschoolreview.com/articles/3
The biggest problem with charter schools is that they are competing for the same money that would normally go to public schools in that district. They operate outside the "rules" of standard public schools. By that I mean they don't have to follow the standards that public schools have to follow - example- No Child Left Behind. They try different learning techniques (some of which work well and some that don't) to help the student learn at a faster pace. "Innovation" is the buzz word in charter schools.
The reason the AEA is so opposed to charter schools is pretty simple. They say, "let public schools follow the same rules as a charter school and save all the extra expense of starting new schools". It's a valid point. It's kinda like all these companies copying Glock's success. Some companies have made some pretty good improvements, but why buy a copy when you can own a Glock.
Riley is wanting to pass charter school legislation just to snag extra federal money. I'm just thinking why try to reinvent the wheel when the wheel we have rolls pretty good. All it needs is a little more oil (money) to keep it rolling. I'll get off the soap box now!