Shotgun Accessories Recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Accessories Recommendations

Jon_R
03-10-2010, 08:13
I have a CQB shotgun class coming up in June and based on the instructor feedback I need the following. Looking for any feedabck from the group on recommendations on items they like or don't like. My primary shotgun will be my 590 20" with a 500 and maybe a 930SPX as a backup. I am left handed but my shotgun is a standard right handed shotgun if that weighs in at all.

Bandoleer or shell bag / pouch to be worn. He believes in the shoot one load one philosophy.

But Cuff

Side Saddle. I am not sure I want to do this being left handed. It seems the shells would interfere with my trigger finger or grip. Anyone lefty added a side saddle?

I have a two point patrol sling I am happy with since we will have to do transitions.

I have a case of Win Ranger Buck and plan to order a case of Win Ranger Slugs. If anyone has a different recommendation on the slugs let me know.

Any feedback is welcome.

jhooten
03-10-2010, 08:51
Actually having the ejection port on the same side as the weak hand makes it easier to perform the "AW ****" reload where you drop a new shell in the port.

Most of my shotguns have side saddles. I do not have problems with the side saddle getting in the way when I do left hand drills.

If you go the butt cuff route pay the extra and get a lace on type. The elastic moves around too much and stretches out with use making it move around even more.

Good luck in the class.

David Armstrong
03-10-2010, 12:31
From the instructor standpoint, I suggest keeping the gun as minimalist as possible, particularly for training purposes. No butt cuffs, no side saddles, no bandoleer. Maybe a shellpouch on the waist, although a handful of rounds in the pocket works fine.

Regarding ammo, I recommend low recoil whenever possible for training.

Jon_R
04-05-2010, 09:36
I got some more information on the class which is in June.

He recommends either bandoleer for extra shells or a pouch. I don't think I would like a bandoleer so looking at pouches. I think a simple belt mounted dump pouch or one where you put it over you head like a bandoleer but shells would be loose in the dump pouch. Ideally I would want draw strings on the pouch so the shells don't fall out when we go prone but an otherwise open top to reach in and get shells.

He does require a side saddle so I will be looking at those. I don't want anything that is stuck to the receiver with Velcro or adhesive. Any recommendations? I also want to take it off with out any permanent mods to the gun.

He recommends ghost sights but my shotgun does not have them and I don't think I want them so will do the class with a simple bead sight and possible take my lumps on the slug shots. The training bay is only 50 yards deep so hopefully I can hold my own. Most of the students will have maybe shot 5 slugs total. I use them every other month or so in 3-Gun and have been able to get COM hits off hand at ~45 yards so I think I will be ok.

Anyone modify a 590 to a metal or over sized safety? Was it worth it? We will putting the safety on and off probably over 100 times in the day.

GAFinch
04-05-2010, 18:26
As for the safety, I'd just buy another plastic one as a backup.

vafish
04-06-2010, 06:43
The elastic moves around too much and stretches out with use making it move around even more.

I've had real good luck using elastic but cuffs and making a slight modification to them.

Simply make a small cut in the seam about 1/2" from the back edge and put it over the sling swivel, then attach your sling. The but cuff will not move anymore. They do eventually wear out, but they are cheap and easy to replace.

mixflip
04-06-2010, 12:53
What ever happened to "train like you fight"?

Are you going to put on an ammo pouch or bandoleer on when you grab your shotgun in a home defense situation? Are you going to have time to gear up with a pouch or bandoleer in a fast and violent home invasion? If you do plan on having those on you at o-dark 30 just make sure you stay consistent.

You will default to the lowest level skill you have mastered under a stressful encounter. Think about that before you start your muscle memory training.

Jon_R
04-06-2010, 13:22
What ever happened to "train lile you fight"?

Are you going to put on an ammo pouch or bandoleer on when you grab your shotgun in a home defense situation? Are you going to have time to gear up with a pouch or bandoleer in a fast and violent home invasion? If you do plan on having those on you at o-dark 30 just make sure you stay consistent.

You will default to the lowest level skill you have mastered under a stressful encounter. Think about that before you start your muscle memory training.

I follow what you are saying but for a class I have to sacrifice some realism for practicality. For one I will have pants and shoes on in the class unlike middle of the night. :)

The class is scheduled for 380 rounds. For home defense I will have whatever is in the shotgun more then likely. In a situation where we had a big hurricane and the world has gone nuts I will likely have a pouch or cargo pocket with extra shells and a sidearm but probably not more then 10-15 shells total. For the class I will likely need to get through 40-50 rounds between breaks so they will need to be on my in some way that is practical to wear for 9 hours.

mixflip
04-06-2010, 14:27
Ah I see. There is a difference between home invasion home defense and SHTF/marshal law home defense.

In a SHTF home defense scenario I'd also have a back up handgun on my hip and access to a long range rifle of some type to defend the ranch.

Mr. Blandings
04-06-2010, 14:28
It ain't "high speed" but I knew a crusty old fella over near Kathleen, FL who used a one gallon milk jug with the top cut out of it and his belt run through the handle.

I think he may have even had a 24"-28" bbl on his pump gun at the time.

Here's to the memory of Smokin' Joe.

Jon_R
04-06-2010, 16:30
I need a side saddle setup for my primary (590) and secondary (930 SPX).

In a quick look Mesa Tactical seems to be pretty popular. Anyone have any feedback on those for the two shotguns mentioned. Anyone have a difference recommendation? I will probably just go with a 6 shell holder on both. Cost does not matter much just want something good I won't have to fight with at all.

Jon_R
04-06-2010, 16:33
It ain't "high speed" but I knew a crusty old fella over near Kathleen, FL who used a one gallon milk jug with the top cut out of it and his belt run through the handle.

I think he may have even had a 24"-28" bbl on his pump gun at the time.

Here's to the memory of Smokin' Joe.

That is pretty neat but might give me problems when I need to go prone. :)

conpro
04-09-2010, 22:03
For a side saddle i would recomend the tacstar they are made well and work well.