Big problem with SPX 930, need help, and Mossberg Cust Serv. SUCKS! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Big problem with SPX 930, need help, and Mossberg Cust Serv. SUCKS!

ScrappyDoo
03-10-2010, 10:35
OK guys I seem to have a very big problem and I just tried to take immediate steps to correct it but Mossberg cust service was NOT Helpful at all, dude had a COMPLETE attitude, and now I don't know what to do, so please help, if possible.

Uh, my FRIEND, has recently bought a Mossberg 930 SPX (tactical model) cause he heard it was awesome, the shotgun of the year, best bang for buck, rivals a Benelli M2 for half the price, versatile etc. My friend could not find this particular 930 SPX in NJ, was told by local gunshop, "You'll never find it, so buy this M2 for double"....

Friend accidentially found it across the river at a Dick's in PA, bought it instantly.. Has recently been informed by several friends and basically confirmed through Google that it's 7+1 magazine capacity fits NJ's assault weapons def. Friend was mortified. Called Mossberg... Guy says I have to remove the magazine, buy a new part or two (basically REMOVING the Choate tube and using whatever it simply holds inside, what would that be?) AND buy a completely new barrel , because, "It wouldn't fit the lug." ... I'm sorry, "It wouldn't fit the lug?" Can you explain what that means? "I can't make it any simpler than that... it wouldn't fit the lug, if you don't know what that means.... " I hung up.

Now what am I to do? I cannot believe I have to buy a whole new barrel for this... no way. ( I want to buy a new barrel, but as an EXTRA / more versatile deal, like an ADDITIONAL longer barrel and or maybe a slug barrel, but NOT just to make my brand new baby freaking legal compliant) ... He said itwould be like $200 for the barrel plus the other parts.. Please tell me there's another way. Quick search of Google brought me to Midway USA

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabid=9&categoryid=20775&categorystring=10636***10560***10021***

There's a bunch of Choate magazine tube "extensions" for the 930 SPX... The one I think I would want though looks different than the rest, the 5 round looks different, but I would gladly buy it or the one that will work best for me.. .Please help if anyone can. I'm all upset now, and that jackass from Mossberg didn't help, I feel like I should let them know that he completely soured me to them and I was considering an extra 12 gauge and a 22 plinker for my BOL and I'm certainly not going Mossberg now.

Thanks in advance guys, Scrap.

mixflip
03-10-2010, 11:47
Whoa! That sucks Scrappy. To me it seems simple, just get the mag cap from a home defense or hunting model 930. You get to keep your sights and barrel and just loose 2 rounds to be compliant. Then when ever you drive across state lines to go shooting where the SPX model is legal...BAM, slap on the choate extension and youre GTG. (good to go)

The hunting version and HD version of the 930 is built exactly the same as far as the lug. He either means the chamber lug? or the piston lug on the barrel. They just slap on tacticool parts to make it into the SPX model. But it is all based on the 930 bird hunting gun. Look in the Mossberg catalog and you should be able to buy just a regular mag cap that goes on the end of a 4 shot 930.

I'd call them back and give Mossberg another chance since they are usually good guys. You got a bad apple maybe as far as that guy on the phone? Maybe he hates his life and you caught him on a bad day? I know I'd hate my life if I were a customer service rep lol.

ScrappyDoo
03-10-2010, 13:49
Mix I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you , would one of those choate exts from midway work ? If not could I please trouble you to link out exactly what I need? I really don't want to screw this up or take too much time. Much apprcieated you've got a case of beer or bottle next time you're in Jersey bro.

mixflip
03-10-2010, 14:28
I could be wrong on the whole 930 huners version being the same basic gun as the SPX but thats my observation after seeing their catalog?

I'll see what I can dig up.

Ok update,

It looks like you need to set your gun up like this.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316800

You might have to special order the mag cap from Mossberg?

Z71bill
03-10-2010, 15:18
I would call Mossberg back - and hopefully you will get someone else that has a little knowledge -

This may work

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=181797

or

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=133149

Good thing about Midway - if it does not work - you can send it back for full credit.

You may also need a new mag spring -

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=523854

MAX100
03-10-2010, 15:20
I could be wrong on the whole 930 huners version being the same basic gun as the SPX but thats my observation after seeing their catalog?

You aren't wrong a standard 930 mag cap will fit any 930 shotgun. They are all the same just different barrel lengths and accessories.

I could be wrong on the whole 930 hunters version being the same basic gun as the SPX but thats my observation after seeing their catalog?

A 930 tube extension will fit all 930 shotguns. Call Choate and order one straight from them. Tell them that you have an 18.5" barrel and you want an extension for that barrel length. I believe they call it a +2.

Mossberg believes that putting a tube extension on a 930 Tactical with the breacher break is unsafe. There are no safety concerns that I am aware of. It will get burnt powder residue on it but that's all.

The Mossberg reps are told not to recommend putting a tube extension on a 930 Tactical. That's why he told you that you would need to buy another barrel.

GC

ScrappyDoo
03-10-2010, 23:45
So does this : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=370878

or this : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=538632

solve my problem, do the trick? thanks again@!!!

Z71bill
03-11-2010, 11:27
So does this : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=370878

or this : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=538632

solve my problem, do the trick? thanks again@!!!

I may be missing something - but I don't see how a Magazine Tube Extension kit will solve your problem?

If the problem is your gun is not legal because it is 7+1 semi auto -

putting on a mag extension will not do anything.

What you need to do is REMOVE the mag tube extension that your gun has and replace it with a cap.

:dunno:

ScrappyDoo
03-11-2010, 11:38
Just talked to Choate. They are going to MAKE me a custom magazine kit for my 930 SPX... Basically a custom +1, so I believe the 930 holds 4+1, normally, and NJ allows 6 shots total, so they are making me a +1 so I can hold 6. The Choate people were awesome, the Mossberg people sucky.

mike55
03-16-2010, 22:07
In Kentucky a shotgun used for hunting can have a maximum capacity of 3 rounds. This is accomplished by putting a dowel, either wooden or plastic, in the tube as a means to reduce usable capacity. I don't know if this would satisfy the laws in your state, but it might be worth checking out.

PeteCamp
03-17-2010, 07:57
I'm sorry ... I don't understand. You live in NJ, which has a specific set of laws about which weapons you can own and which ones you cannot. You went to another state and bought a weapon that violates your Draconian state laws. You get it home and are terrified to learn that you have now violated the laws of NJ because you bought the weapon and you called Mossberg to complain about the situation? And in trying to define the problem over the phone, you didn't understand what the guy at Mossberg was talking about, so you hung up on him.

I may have missed something, but it sure sounds like you walked into the swamp and now must blame someone else for your bad decision. I don't understand how Mossberg is the problem here.

Devin459
03-17-2010, 09:17
I'm sorry ... I don't understand. You live in NJ, which has a specific set of laws about which weapons you can own and which ones you cannot. You went to another state and bought a weapon that violates your Draconian state laws. You get it home and are terrified to learn that you have now violated the laws of NJ because you bought the weapon and you called Mossberg to complain about the situation? And in trying to define the problem over the phone, you didn't understand what the guy at Mossberg was talking about, so you hung up on him.

I may have missed something, but it sure sounds like you walked into the swamp and now must blame someone else for your bad decision. I don't understand how Mossberg is the problem here.

Petecamp... I was thinking the same thing.. That is the type of person that makes customer service not want to help you. Back to topic, situations like this could have been totally avoided had the buyer done a tiny amount of research concerning his state and local laws, and also a little research on the weapon. This is not Mossbergs fault that you bought an illegal shotgun, need to buy a new barrel and also lose the ext.. Have you looked into the steps into getting an NJ assault weapon permit or getting the SG registered as an AW? Or are they completely illegal in NJ all together? Either way, I hope you understand that no one is to blame except for the buyer, and let this be a lesson to do some research before future buys(especially with weapons.) No offense intended.

mixflip
03-17-2010, 11:07
In Nevada, if you have a California DL you cant even buy a gun in our state. At least I dont think you can over the counter?

mike55
03-24-2010, 22:09
How could you possibly be upset with the CS rep because he couldn't solve your legal problem for you? The world doesn't revolve around your legal errors. If you are not satisfied with the options offered by Mossberg trade your shotgun for one that is legal in your state. But blame the CS rep?..................really!

KalashniKEV
03-25-2010, 02:42
I would just move. A shotty with 7+1 is an "Assault Weapon???"

Seriously, as stated by others, how exactly is this Mossberg's problem? Read your laws and stop unintentionally breaking them (you may choose to practice civil disobedience). Read your Owner's Manual before you get on the phone to discuss legal theory with a $7/hr CS rep.

Good thing about Midway - if it does not work - you can send it back for full credit.

Really???
Even if it's been opened?

They don't put it back in the box and resell it do they? I'm leery now...

This thread is full of terrible people. No love for this thread. :faint:

frankr
03-25-2010, 03:46
Call Mossberg back. They really do try and help. The few times I’ve called I was sent a new magazine spring and the last time a screw for my Picatinny Rail that I lost. The problems I thought I had were of my doing. Never needed the new spring and I lost the screw, still no questions asked they just sent me what I needed.

Z71bill
03-25-2010, 21:28
Really???
Even if it's been opened?

They don't put it back in the box and resell it do they? I'm leery now...

This thread is full of terrible people. No love for this thread. :faint:

I am pretty sure they don't take returns on ammo - but if you order a magazine cap and it does not fit they take it back. :cool:

I ordered a conversion barrel from them - it looked like someone had used a dremel on it - I called them - they sent me a new barrel and took the old one back - they even gave me credit for shipping it back to them.

I then got a call from Storm Lake (manufacturer of the barrel) the marks were normal.

Midway has the best customer service of any gun parts company.

Would you rather buy from someone with a no return policy? :upeyes:

cdog533
03-26-2010, 00:03

Agreed. Title of the thread is VERY misleading.

Thread should be titled "BIG PROBLEM WITH MY STATE!! GUN LAWS SUCK IN NJ!!!! PS. My Mossberg 930 functions as intended"

Easiest solution: Move.

KalashniKEV
03-26-2010, 04:19
Would you rather buy from someone with a no return policy? :upeyes:

No, but you have to charge some restocking fee to prevent emptyheadedness and abuse.

What are they supposed to do with it after you unpackaged it, monkeyed around with it, tried to make it work, and it didn't?

If I don't see a clearance section for opened goods on their site, or pics of a large bonfire of monkeyed parts, I have to assume they're reselling it, no?

How would they recoup the cost?

Unless you were expecting some kind of immaculately conceived Glock barrel with no milling marks, it seems pretty hard to mistake for WECSOG work. Maybe someone did take a dremel to it? I know the Lone Wolf packaging is easy enough to repack and pass off as new...

faawrenchbndr
03-26-2010, 05:56

Petecamp... I was thinking the same thing.. That is the type of person that makes customer service not want to help you. Back to topic, situations like this could have been totally avoided had the buyer done a tiny amount of research concerning his state and local laws, and also a little research on the weapon. This is not Mossbergs fault that you bought an illegal shotgun, need to buy a new barrel and also lose the ext.. Have you looked into the steps into getting an NJ assault weapon permit or getting the SG registered as an AW? Or are they completely illegal in NJ all together? Either way, I hope you understand that no one is to blame except for the buyer, and let this be a lesson to do some research before future buys(especially with weapons.) No offense intended.

How could you possibly be upset with the CS rep because he couldn't solve your legal problem for you? The world doesn't revolve around your legal errors. If you are not satisfied with the options offered by Mossberg trade your shotgun for one that is legal in your state. But blame the CS rep?..................really!

Agreed. Title of the thread is VERY misleading.

Thread should be titled "BIG PROBLEM WITH MY STATE!! GUN LAWS SUCK IN NJ!!!! PS. My Mossberg 930 functions as intended"

Easiest solution: Move.

All of the above,....... OP don't blame YOUR decision on Mossberg.
Sound like your lack of knowlege created the "attitude" from the Customer Service rep.
YOU need to be able to explain your issue for them to help,
seems you did this as poorly as you researched the XPS prior to purchase.

KalashniKEV
03-26-2010, 07:11
All of the above,....... OP don't blame YOUR decision on Mossberg.
Sound like your lack of knowlege created the "attitude" from the Customer Service rep.
YOU need to be able to explain your issue for them to help,
seems you did this as poorly as you researched the XPS prior to purchase.

Maybe he can run a few more loads through it this weekend and then call CS for a full refund?

He can ref this thread and tell them he'll keep posting about their terrible CS and non-Commie compliant gun if they don't.

faawrenchbndr
03-26-2010, 07:44
Either way I look at it it just sux for the OP, MAN, Don't buy a Honda Civic & then complain that it will not tow a 7k boat!

This is just not fair to Mossberg,.......treat customer service with respect, and you get it back.

Blitzer
03-26-2010, 09:28
Here is something for that whine.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/Blitzer0101/Foods/600px-Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg

Z71bill
03-26-2010, 11:30
No, but you have to charge some restocking fee to prevent emptyheadedness and abuse.

What are they supposed to do with it after you unpackaged it, monkeyed around with it, tried to make it work, and it didn't?

If I don't see a clearance section for opened goods on their site, or pics of a large bonfire of monkeyed parts, I have to assume they're reselling it, no?

How would they recoup the cost?

Unless you were expecting some kind of immaculately conceived Glock barrel with no milling marks, it seems pretty hard to mistake for WECSOG work. Maybe someone did take a dremel to it? I know the Lone Wolf packaging is easy enough to repack and pass off as new...

Let's think about this - why would Midway have this policy? :upeyes:

Maybe having a generous return policy is good for business. :shocked:

My guess is the easy return policy pays for itself by a large margin.

"How would they recoup the cost?" you ask -- Maybe by generating more sales than they would have with a strict return policy.

If you are buying something online that is $20 or less you may be willing to take a chance - if the business sends you what you expected it was a good deal - if they don't and you are stuck then you are only out $20 - not going to kill you.

But do you feel the same way about placing an order for $200? $500? $1,000?

I know I have been reluctant to place a large dollar online order - and I bet most people feel the same way.

Knowing Midway will take stuff back for any reason gives me the confidence to place large orders with them without much worry.

I have spent thousands of dollars with them over the last 5 years - if they had a - You buy it you are stuck with it policy - I would not have spent anywhere near as much.

The barrel I was sent had ruff swirl marks on the barrel hood - I called Midway and ask them - is this normal?

The customer service person said he did not know but he would go check inventory - if they had one without swirl marks he would ship it to me - he called back 10 minutes later - had one without swirl marks - he had already shipped it to me - and ask me to return the one I had.

I do understand what you mean though - I was in line at customer service at Target - the windshield wipers I purchased did not have the little bracket -

There was a lady in line ahead of me - she was returning all sorts of stuff -

Cans of food - bags of candy - shampoo - I do not understand how anyone can buy a can of beans and then change their mind - but this lady did - Target took it back with out complaint. :dunno:

frank_drebin
07-13-2010, 18:41
Did you check with CDNN? They may be able to help.

djegators
07-13-2010, 20:50
I know this is an old thread, but since it is bumped I will give a +1 to Mossberg service. You can read about my issue on this same page if you are interested, but bottom line is they fixed an issue without question on a 15+ year old shotgun, and shipped it back within two days of receipt. I do not own the original box, but they still returned it in a Mossberg box with a new manual and a new lock.

byf43
07-13-2010, 21:10

This is spot on.

To the OP:
The BUYER is responsible for following the laws in his/her state, not the manufacturer, AFTER THE SALE.

Do your homework BEFORE you buy!

While I'm not a Mossberg fan, their customer service is quite good.

Lastly. . . . two words. Caveat emptor.

VZ1600
07-18-2010, 10:16

I find it kinda funny that the OP has not made a single post in this thread since PeteCamp dropped the hammer on him with this statement.

BTW PeteCamp, I completely agree with your assessment 100%.

itstime
07-18-2010, 10:28
Wow. I'm relieved. I thought someone had a problem with my fave shotgun. Seems to be not true. It only is a state problem.

Kadetklapp
07-20-2010, 08:13
Wow. I'm relieved. I thought someone had a problem with my fave shotgun. Seems to be not true. It only is a state problem.

It could be a mental problem.....:upeyes:

huh?!?!?!
08-15-2011, 13:57
I know this thread is old but I would like to give my recent encounter with O.F.M. cust service.

1st let me state that after what I have read on the forums about trying to contact them to get issues resolved I was ,well I was a little scared to call them up.

My issue, I recently purchased a 930 spx and it looks like the choate extension was welded into the nut crooked and I have problems feeding more than the 5 shells the factory tube can hold before the follower gets snagged on something there and I would have to eject a few shells and retry a few more times until I was able to get the remaining 2 shells loaded.
I tried polishing out the inside of the Choate extension and still same thing. So ....I called them up.......

I got a real life person named roger who asked me what was wrong, I explained, told him my theory, he verified the serial number and asked that if they sent a new Choate extension if I thought that would solve my problem? I said I think that it would, he got my shipping address and sent has sent me a new extension no charge problem solved!!

I was very suprised how easy and painless it was, I am glad to see that they have taken care of the issues that I was reading about .

Also I would like to add that aside from the extension that this gun is solid no FTE/FTF sights were damn near dead on at 50 yards out of the box. Mossberg really stepped up and made the 3rd gen spx worth getting IMHO.

Thanks all and Happy shooting.

El_Ron1
08-15-2011, 16:18
Classic MajorBeef©. :rofl:

ScrappyDoo
08-15-2011, 17:33
why do you keep digging up my 1.5 year old threads and bumping them with "I know this thread is old but I want to add my unrelated comments..." huh? seriously man? Could you like, stop what your doing and make your own threads? Thanks/.

Eyescream
08-15-2011, 18:37
:animlol:

Bello
08-16-2011, 12:48
hey scrappy i live in jersey also u know what.. anyways i would just find a mossberg plug that fits it and call it a day bro. end of story its plugged now its legal...

frank_drebin
08-16-2011, 13:05
hey scrappy i live in jersey also u know what.. anyways i would just find a mossberg plug that fits it and call it a day bro. end of story its plugged now its legal...

He probably figured that out 5 months ago when he asked the question.

TedG
08-16-2011, 14:56
So, as I read through the various posts, the "problem" was easily solved, but more importantly, Mossberg CS handled the problem correctly. In fact, Mossberg CS works well with its customers. Is that the finding?

dragon281tx
08-16-2011, 15:14
He probably figured that out 1 year & 5 months ago when he asked the question.

:whistling:

Bowtie
08-20-2011, 22:42
You just need to get a cap and spring like this. I have them if interested..
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/85320.jpg