Dublin AK Ratches System [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dublin AK Ratches System

ainokea
03-11-2010, 06:16
Got this modification for my Mak90. Made a video of it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFqJq5ZGdg

CarlosC
03-11-2010, 07:55
Interesting. Sort of a version of HK's charging system. Not for me though.

War Hammer
03-12-2010, 07:14
That looks like a great way to burn your hand, tear up a thumb, and get dirt and crud directly into the gas tube... And all for only $117!

Paddy
03-12-2010, 08:13
If I had $117 to burn on top of ammo I'd try it. The fact you can lock it open is appealing.

RWBlue
03-12-2010, 13:31
Interesting. Sort of a version of HK's charging system. Not for me though.

+1

I like the idea, but the implementation....
I don't like that the handle moves.
I don't like that it eliminates the ability to have rails.

Novocaine
03-12-2010, 15:44
If the purpose is to scientifically enhance the ability of a rifle to snag on things I'd say this design at very least shows promise.

Can't use barricade, can't take the rifle apart without the tool, have to use Loctite when putting the rifle back together (don't forget to let it cure!), weaker gas tube, no upper handguard. What's not to like?

As a sidenote, while there is a certain cost saving benefit to a charging handle in a shape of a round straight narrow pin thereís a reason you donít see them around. As a minimum, you make them thick or you make them curved. Preferably both.

CarlosC
03-12-2010, 15:53
I didn't want to be negative but he did ask for opinions.

I agree, the concept is good, but the execution lends itself to problems. I think the AKLightning bolt is a better idea anyway if you must have a left-side handle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShqxfgsCxE&feature=related

1. I don't think screwing a bolt into thin tubing will last very long. I actually think it's flimsy. One of the good things about an AK charging handle is that you can operate it with a boot heel. I would be afraid to manhandle that other system.

2. I think it would allow dirt into the gas tube. Also, the gas I think it reduces the strength of the gas tube to have such a long slot cut out of it.

3. There are easier ways to speed an AK reload. Id this abi can do it, you can too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZwkv_NUmU&feature=related
and check out this dude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exM7mVHpog&feature=related

If you need a bolt hold-open to inspect the chamber, mod your selector or buy one with a notch.

4. It's expensive for what you get: a gas tube, a steel tube, a handle, and a bolt.

5. As you say RW, it has eliminated the possibility of putting any sort of rail on the gas tube.

6. I would imagine the sleeve will eventually start to mushroom against the gas tube on the carrier end from slamming back and forth.

ainokea
03-13-2010, 01:40
I take no offense to anything. I posted it to start a discussion on what people thought about it. Of course it's not for everyone, I just wanted to try it and make a video about it. Thanks for posting, feel free to post and comment.

RWBlue
03-13-2010, 13:04
ainokea, somebody has to be the first to try it. Thanks for posting the video.

I really like the AKLightning bolt. There is only one problem. That is not how the gun comes.

nursetim
03-13-2010, 14:06
nevermind

Aceman
03-13-2010, 20:30
that looks like a great way to burn your hand, tear up a thumb, and get dirt and crud directly into the gas tube... And all for only $117!

lmao!

War Hammer
03-14-2010, 16:20
If someone REALLY wants a left hand charging handle, I'd go with the DTS "LINCH" top cover (http://www.lastroundholdopenak47.com/home).

The good:

It's simple swap of the top cover. No tools, no Lock-Tite, and can be changed back as quick as you can remove and replace the top cover.
Looks a helluva a lot better than the Dublin.
It modifies none of the internals of the rifle.
It leaves the entire gas system alone.
It DOESN'T RECIPROCATE.
It folds almost flat to avoid snags.
Won't even effect left-side mounted optics.
Is expected to cost $60.
The bad:

Like any other left-hand bolt handle, it does open another hole for crud to get inside, albeit much smaller than the Dublin.
Was projected for Jan 2010 realease, but still isn't available yet.

TED
03-16-2010, 01:37
That thing is horrible. Seriously.

The HK style chargin handle that is. The Davis Tactical stuff appears intersting.

TED

kendric98
03-16-2010, 02:03
117 dollar thumb amputator.

CarlosC
03-16-2010, 10:41
There is only one problem. That is not how the gun comes.

And that's probably the biggest detractor for me with any of these left-side handles. I've been known to change a few things on my AKs (I use E-clips instead of the shepherd's crook), but I won't go so far as to install stuff that is obvious externally and isn't part of the original design style.

Having said that, the DTS and the Lightning Bolt mods seem more solid and do look pretty cool, especially on the SBRs.