Is too much awareness of the consequences dangerous? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is too much awareness of the consequences dangerous?

tous
03-11-2010, 15:19
I have never been in a defend myself or die situation, so I can only speak from speculation and consideration.

Having been a CHL instructor and hanging around like-minded people, the great majority of the discussions center on what will happen if you need to defend yourself with lethal force and very little of the nuts and bolts of the actual act of defense comes up.

Could our seeming obsession with what police officers, lawyers and society will do to us after a successful defense be dangerous? When I need to stop, inhibit and control a lethal threat, am I going to be thinking about being sued by the attacker's family? About being tossed in the back of a police car? About spending the night in jail? About how expensive a defense will be? Will I hesitate and die?

I am pretty much of the 'win the fight, survive and all that follows pales in comparison' mind set, but in the back of my mind is all of the, 'geez, they're going to crucify me' thoughts.

Do we pay too much attention to it and might it get us killed?

Mas Ayoob
03-12-2010, 20:28
Tous, I absolutely agree that fear of the aftermath can cause fatal hesitation. I think the best way to deal with it is by training the practitioner in what to expect in that aftermath, and how to handle it. The person who is confident in their ability to cope with what follows, will be more confident in following their training and making the right decision, and acting immediately, when force does have to be used.

Best,
Mas

tous
03-13-2010, 11:32
Thank you.

It has always perplexed me that 75% of the licensing courses for most states that I have examined deal with the administrative minutiae. As I said, I never never been in a gunfight, but I doubt that the topic of how many days you have to revise your license after a change of address will come up between me and the attacker.

I understand it. Most politicians are lawyers and lawyers deal in law, but I surely don't want my epitaph to read, "Too slow on the draw, but by God, he knew the rules inside and out."