Brass punch residue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass punch residue

jadedragon
03-11-2010, 23:11
I bought a new brass punch set to help remove pins without damaging them but they do leave a brass smear on the pins. I tried several cleaning products to try to remove the brass smear with limited success. What should I try next?

JohnKSa
03-11-2010, 23:15
Regular bore solvent and a toothbrush will usually take it off in my experience.

eisman
03-11-2010, 23:55
I learned a long time ago to put a piece of masking tape on the end of a brass punch...

PEC-Memphis
03-12-2010, 21:55
You do realize that you should not "drive" Glock pins out (with a hammer) - they are pushed out and do not require significant force. The Glock tool is a steel pin. I use an allen wrench if I don't have a armorers tool handy.

jadedragon
03-13-2010, 00:57
Thanks Memphis. I do know that bit of Glock maintenance fact. I'm using the punches for other firearms with snug pins. I thought to ask Glock Talk members this question knowing how knowledgeable you all are. Thanks for all the replys so far.

BBJones
03-17-2010, 16:03
I learned a long time ago to put a piece of masking tape on the end of a brass punch...

+1. I keep a big roll of blue painter's tape on my work bench that I use.

Especially useful when trying to bang on or off some stubborn rear sights. I know, I know, I should buy one of those sight mounting devices.

gb6491
03-22-2010, 09:30
A little pencil lead on the pin before using the brass punch will prevent the brass marks; works when driving sights on/off as well.
Regards,
Greg

squirrelsniper
03-23-2010, 02:35
Any bore solvent that is good at removing copper will also remove the brass smears, but depending on the solvent and type of finish that may not be practical. Usually some CLP and a rag will do it, though it may require a little elbow grease.

ricklee4570
03-23-2010, 02:48
Some really good tips given here!

eisman
03-26-2010, 19:06
A little pencil lead on the pin before using the brass punch will prevent the brass marks; works when driving sights on/off as well.

I never liked that as it reduces friction and can make a punch slip.

gb6491
03-26-2010, 20:10
I never liked that as it reduces friction and can make a punch slip.
Hmmm,...interesting...never had it happen myself, but something to keep in mind: nothing wrong with a little extra caution. I always try to use a punch that gives the most contact area on the object being driven; larger/heavier punches seem to reduce bounce better as well.
I do find masking tape good for protecting the surrounding areas.
Regards,
Greg.

luscioman
03-29-2010, 09:04
buy nylon punches instead. They are really cheap and do not leave a mark. Downside is they are not as strong as brass.