Fast Handling Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fast Handling Shotgun

JBJ16
03-12-2010, 04:35
For me a conventional fixed stock shotgun feels and handles faster than one with the pistol grip and stock. At least with the Mossberg 590A1 and 88 Maverick I borrowed and tested.

I was shooting multiple poppers at 10-15yds, and also IPSC boards.

YMMV, can you share your experience? :cool:

ETA: Lets limit this to pump action shotguns

bikerdog
03-12-2010, 13:21
I think it might depend on the type of pistol grip stock your using. I have 2 remington 870's, one with a standard stock with a shortened LOP and one with a speedfeed solid stock again with a shortened LOP. I found that the speedfeed for me at least handles a little faster. but it might be to because I train a lot with an M4 and the pistol grip just feels more like the M4.

Murgatroy
03-13-2010, 07:38
I think it would have more to do with what you are used to and train with.

I know you asked to go with pumps only, but...

I grew up with a double barrel shotgun, 18" BBL. I carried this gun a million times and using it became as natural to me as breathing. It was an old 'coach' gun that my father had bought for CAS when I was young and it got handed down to me. Low comb, straight grip with just a slight curve of a pistol grip. It was light, easy to maneuver and handle and became what I knew.

When the time came for a HD shotgun, I bought a pump. Conventional stock, 18.5" BBL. Overall weight and length are the same as the SxS I grew up using (and still have in the closet) and as such, it was more of a matter of retraining the controls. Now, instead of 'swing, squeeze, follow through, squeeze, break, pull, load, close, swing, pull...' is is 'swing, squeeze, follow through, pump, squeeze...'

I have not thought of putting a pistol grip on the pump. It is not what I am familiar with, and I have never tried firing one. I will admit that the thought of one crossed my mind when I first got the pump, but it would lead to unfamiliarity IMO and might cause me issues going from one shotgun to the other. I still regularly use both for different loads.

The SxS is an old `60s model Rossi Coach Gun, and the pump is an NEF Pardner Protector.

Brucev
03-13-2010, 08:20
A couple of Saturday's ago I went quail hunting with some friends. One bird is not so hard to hit, but two or three as they rise is tough. I use a Rem. 870. It shucks shells like water going over a water fall. Of course it has the plain field stock. But it seems that if such a configuration works so well on moving targets like multiple birds, it would be effective for any other use. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

JBJ16
03-13-2010, 14:06
^ ^ ^ that makes a lot of sense. FWIW in videos I have seen, the IPSC champs I saw were using conventional stock shotguns.

I know in IPSC, speed/the least time to finish a run is a premium. :cool: