Conversion Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Question

Stepaway
03-12-2010, 14:01
Just bought a 23 and understand that I can convert it to 357 Sig by just changing the barrel. I've seen conflicting info on converting it to a 9mm - Lonewolf says yes, just drop in a 9mm barrel. Ultimately I want to stay with the .40 caliber but since I'm new to handguns I thought it might be easier to train in the beginning with 9mm - cheaper and less felt recoil.

The armorer I bought it from says no way. What is the "real" answer from The .40 S&W Club ?

telecster
03-12-2010, 14:34
I have seen that you can, but you would need to use G19 mags. I watched a Youtube video on conversions that was very good.

Angry Fist
03-12-2010, 14:39
For .357 SIG, I don't think you need to change mags... For 9mm you do.

mteagle1
03-13-2010, 09:21
Just bought a 23 and understand that I can convert it to 357 Sig by just changing the barrel. I've seen conflicting info on converting it to a 9mm - Lonewolf says yes, just drop in a 9mm barrel. Ultimately I want to stay with the .40 caliber but since I'm new to handguns I thought it might be easier to train in the beginning with 9mm - cheaper and less felt recoil.

The armorer I bought it from says no way. What is the "real" answer from The .40 S&W Club ?

The 357 SIG is only 9mm as far as the bullet is concerned, the back of the case is similar to a 40 S&W and are about twice as expensive as 9mm. If you buy a 9mm barrel designed to be used in a G23, then you will need 9mm magazines either G17 or G19. As part of the conversion you should replace the trigger housing and extractor.

Stepaway
03-13-2010, 16:04
Mteagle1, I assume the extractor needs to be replaced 'cause the casing must be slightly different. Keeping in mind that I don't know anything about handguns, help me understand why the trigger housing should be replaced. Is that an expensive task - in other words am I just better off buying a 9mm to train with?

SDGlock23
03-15-2010, 07:04
Here's the deal.

As you mentioned, there is nothing required to change into a 357 SIG except the 357 SIG barrel itself.

As for converting a .40/357 SIG to 9mm, it's super easy. First, you buy a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for your G23. It can be regular, ported, whatever, but must be a CONVERSION barrel, not a G19 barrel. Secondly, you will want a 9mm magazine With the G23, you can use a G19 or G17 magazine.

That's all you should need, that's all I did. I did not replace the .40 extractor because I've never had a failure using my LW 9mm conversion barrel in my G23. Now some people have reported problems and if this is the case with you, you will most likely have to buy a 9mm extractor and install it on the G23, simple process that only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

Stepaway
03-15-2010, 08:19
Thx SDGlock23, exactly the advice I needed. Happy shooting.

shotgunred
03-15-2010, 09:23
Here's the deal.

As you mentioned, there is nothing required to change into a 357 SIG except the 357 SIG barrel itself.

As for converting a .40/357 SIG to 9mm, it's super easy. First, you buy a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for your G23. It can be regular, ported, whatever, but must be a CONVERSION barrel, not a G19 barrel. Secondly, you will want a 9mm magazine With the G23, you can use a G19 or G17 magazine.

That's all you should need, that's all I did. I did not replace the .40 extractor because I've never had a failure using my LW 9mm conversion barrel in my G23. Now some people have reported problems and if this is the case with you, you will most likely have to buy a 9mm extractor and install it on the G23, simple process that only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

I just bought the mags and conversion barrel. I also have never had any extraction problems.

logator
03-15-2010, 09:29
I just bought the mags and conversion barrel. I also have never had any extraction problems.

Same here....