First time IDPA tomorrow......don't know what to expect.....any advice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time IDPA tomorrow......don't know what to expect.....any advice?

finz50
03-12-2010, 17:48
Going to give the IDPA a go tomorrow at the pistol club on base. Have no clue what to really expect. Probably shooting my wife's M&P9 w/MTAC holster. They said to bring about 75 rounds and it should last 3 hours or so. How does this thing work? Anyone got any first timers advice for me? Thx

DragonLibra
03-12-2010, 18:44
I'd take a bit more ammo if you have it. Some clubs have reshoots & in IDPA except in Limited Vickers you can make up shots.

As to advice. Relax. Tell the Safety Officer at each stage this is your first time. The SO's and the other more experienced IDPA shooters will be glad to help you out on how to shoot each stage. Everywhere I've shot IDPA everyone is very friendly.

Ask about a Safe area where you can check and holster your pistol.

When moving make sure your finger is off the trigger.

Be glad to answer any other questions.

BTW, I've been shooting an M&P for the past 2 years in matches. Great gun in SSP. I've just gotten a G17 4th gen and am looking forward to shooting it as well.
Best advice is Have Fun and don't worry about your score till you get used to the game.

I can't wait to get back out on the range and shoot some IDPA matches. Dang winter has been too long.

DustyDawg48
03-12-2010, 18:51
IDPA is a great action pistol sport. It took 2 weeks for the smile to wear off my face after I shot my first match. It was humbling, intimidating and the most fun I've had doing something like that ever! I joined IDPA as soon as I got home from my first match.

Being safe is the most important thing to work on and they should hold a new shooter's meeting to explain all the range commands. Muzzle and trigger discipline are first and foremost the most important thing for you. The courses of fire are all different but are taken from real-world self defense situations so you could expect strong hand only and even some weak hand shooting, plus movement, different styles of reloading along with close retention firing and lots of fun!

Be sure to post a report on how it when and how you did.

finz50
03-12-2010, 18:55
Thanks for the advice so far. BTW I am now taking 250 rounds now. Do you have to do that classifications shoot first?

DustyDawg48
03-12-2010, 19:01
No, thankfully. Every club should hold a classifier 2 or 3 times a year; in fact my club's classifier is next moth.

Hope you have a good time and like has been said before, don't worry about score first time out. Get used to the rules and see how you and your gear work together. Try and have 3 mags if you can. I always bring more in case something happens to one of my mags, and you can only have 3 mags with you at a time, but 2 on your belt and one in your gun if you can. You can still shoot it with 2 mags but it could be a pain!

Any range worth their salt will cut a new shooter all the breaks they can while trying to teach them the rules of the IDPA sport. They'll let you know about what equipment you may or may not need. Some sort of cover garment and a good holster are all you need aside from the mags and ammo. Good ear and eye protection goes without saying.

Again, have fun and be safe; IDPA is a great sport!

9mmXRAY
03-12-2010, 19:15
Aw man your gonna have so much fun... just remember its a very humbling sport like Dusty said... You will probably get asked to just take it slow and safe by the RO's SO's no biggie. You get a stage walkthrough and you get asked before you start every stage "Do you understand the course of fire" if you don't... say... "Not really or No" and they will kindly explain it further until you do... very nice actually but this has been my experience.

Oh yeah... make sure you ask tons of questions...

If your shooting SSP make sure the magazine you start with has 11 rounds in it (10+1) and ALL other mags need to have 10 rounds... Only 11(10+1) rounds if the magazine is inside the pistol at the start. If you start with 10 rounds you'll get a 3sec Procedural error.

If the stage is empty gun on table... mags beside it... all mags must be loaded to division capacity of 10 rounds.

waktasz
03-12-2010, 20:56
Do yourself a favor and go through the rulebook at least once to get familiar with the rules. It will save you from having to learn the rules by getting penalties :)

Pimp gun
03-12-2010, 21:37
you will ask yourself why did it take me so long to do the IDPA, fun and good experience and beats the devil out of just shooting paper. Have fun and give us a report.:wavey::wow:

M1A Shooter
03-12-2010, 21:45
just try to stay calm and work on your basics. dont try to rush through this for time the first try. but then remember that all of that will go out the window when the buzzer goes off and you will be very humble after that :D

i told myself for days before hand that i just needed to use this for training and try not to be too competitive until i get the hang of it. even walking up to my first stage. when the timer beeped at me, i ripped it from the holster and started popping rounds off. i did pretty good but a few stages later i got hung up pretty good.

overall, the group i was shooting with was great and its very addicting.

YamaLink
03-15-2010, 10:18
This is after your first idpa, but I wanted to post anyway. My first idpa was this weekend, too.

Everything everyone wrote is/was true. At the range on my own I can hit anything anywhere. When that buzzer went off I forgot everything: no sight picture, no smooth draw, no taking my time. I even forgot which targets I missed.

Two days later I am still laughing and smiling about how humbling and fun and safe it was.

DustyDawg48
03-15-2010, 10:46
Welcome aboard Yama! Glad to hear you had such a good time! I say it in every post, but IDPA was the sport I was looking to shoot even before I knew it existed! I just wish I could shoot it more than once a month!

9mmXRAY
03-15-2010, 11:09
This is after your first idpa, but I wanted to post anyway. My first idpa was this weekend, too.

Everything everyone wrote is/was true. At the range on my own I can hit anything anywhere. When that buzzer went off I forgot everything: no sight picture, no smooth draw, no taking my time. I even forgot which targets I missed.

Two days later I am still laughing and smiling about how humbling and fun and safe it was.

Yes it is humbling... The video below is literally my 3rd match ever. I was so stinking proud of myself for finally forgetting people are watching me. I'm still not really concerned about drawing fast just want to hear the "Zeros" being called out... I can draw super fast... I can also do superfast mag changes but... I'm progressing forward with safety first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr_GYho7aRM

Seawolf
03-19-2010, 20:48
I started shooting ISPC and IDPA about a year ago and I think the first couple times I went I just watched what everyone else was doing. I would recommend asking the RO if you could go toward the end of the lineup or somewhere in the middle so you can have a chance to watch the other experienced shooters first.

The competition part is fun, but I use IDPA and ISPC as training. It's really the only place you can go move and shoot under stress. Standing behind a table shooting paper plates isn't going to help in a real world self defense scenario. Unlike the military and Law Enforcement civilians really don't have the opportunity to train with our sidearms. I'm just glad this competition stuff is gaining popularity and more civilians are taking part in it.

The more armed and trained citizens we have on the street the better.

WellArmedSheep
03-19-2010, 20:53
Show up early and help with setup. Let them know that you're a new shooter and they'll give you a "new-shooter briefing".

Go slow, make your shots, and have fun. IDPA is more addictive than crack, but fortunately it's easier on your teeth. :)

9x45
03-21-2010, 19:04
Don't do anything that scares the RO.

Wild Gene
03-28-2010, 10:02
Finz, how did it go? I know I had a blast at my first match. Had no Idea what to expect. I brought lots of ammo and mags, but other than that, it was WAY differenet than anything I had shot before. I did a lot of cowboy action, and always finished in the top 10 at pretty much any match I went to, but my first USPSA match I got my @$$ kicked! Had a blast, but just got creamed. I shot production, and was only beat by one unclassified shooter in that division, but finished about 25th overall out of 50, and the funny part was that I really didn't care, I had a blaast!

The toughest thing for me to get used to was the doubletap on all paper, and the ability to shoot on the move.

Hope you had fun. I know I went and bought a life membership in USPSA the monday following my first match.

Good shooting!

finz50
04-03-2010, 13:58
Just got back from the match (is that what they're called?). Had a blast, no pun intended. Thanks for the advice from everyone. Ended up shooting the M&P9 and actually shot better than I thought I would. Too bad we won't get the scores until later this week.

First stage I was nervous as heck and didn't do as good as I would have like, but after I knew what too expect, I was able to relax and shoot a little better. Wasn't the fastest shooter out there, but was surprised that I was as accurate as I was (third stage I missed one head shot out of 9 and was super stoked). That stuff Mas talks about regarding tunnel vision and everything is totally true. All I saw was a rough silhouette and my front sight-LOL. If it was real life and there was more than one shooter I'd be a dead dog!

One of the guys gave me some advice on movement to/from different lines...said I was just walking backwards, like a normal person would, and showed me a "better way" (heel to toe) that I'll have to try next time.

Overall it was awesome. Got to learn about how I actually shoot/react under pressure versus how I think I'm going to shoot/react (i.e. on tactical reload with retention, I just dropped the mag to the ground, since that's all I ever do-there's 3 seconds I'll never get back!!!). Got a lot of work to do between now and next months meet up.....