breacher choke really needed ???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : breacher choke really needed ????

dennis3dflyer
03-13-2010, 23:39
Is a Breacher Choke really needed ? Increase Saftey or effect >???

I see how it helps hold position on the area you wish to destroy but if you just hold off yourself a few inches from the area to be destroyed and have a steady hold will you have the same effect ???

Thanks Dennis

grumpycoconut
03-14-2010, 00:45
Breaching stand offs are usefull tools but not absolutely essential. A good serrated stand off makes precision placement easier, keeps your muzzle on target and vents gas preventing a barrel blowout even if you had teh muzzle square on the target. If you are under stress and working fast and in the dark nothing is easier than jamming the muzzle stand off into the door / frame intersection and letting fly.

aippi
03-14-2010, 01:50
No it is not.

remat
03-14-2010, 01:52
Breaching stand offs are usefull tools but not absolutely essential. A good serrated stand off makes precision placement easier, keeps your muzzle on target and vents gas preventing a barrel blowout even if you had teh muzzle square on the target. If you are under stress and working fast and in the dark nothing is easier than jamming the muzzle stand off into the door / frame intersection and letting fly.

Good answer!
Just make sure leaving an offset space between the muzzle and the door...

southernshooter
03-14-2010, 04:26

One of those would be handy. I can't remember all the times I have needed to breach a door with a shotgun. Seems like alot of junk would ricochet into your face when you do that. I just keep a spare key hidden since I not on the swat team.

USMC03Grunt
03-14-2010, 06:30
They may be useful if you are doing a lot of breaching but myself, I just use the doorknob on my house. Can't really see myself breaching my way out of my house so for me, no, a breaching choke, barrel, pointy thingy on the end of my shotgun is about as useful as teats on a boar.

Devils Haircut
03-14-2010, 07:01
"Yeah but what if...":upeyes:

This thread makes me smile.

bikerdog
03-14-2010, 13:26

Good answer. I would just like to ad, if your talking about the breaching choke tubes that are now being sold on the Remington 870. Their not real breaching tools. normal breaching tools are welded to the front of the barrel, what remington is selling would never hold up during real use.

Syclone538
03-14-2010, 14:53
Good answer. I would just like to ad, if your talking about the breaching choke tubes that are now being sold on the Remington 870. Their not real breaching tools. normal breaching tools are welded to the front of the barrel, what remington is selling would never hold up during real use.

I would think that would be a liability issue unless they have a bunch of warnings all over the package/box the gun/choke comes in and on the choke itself. But I don't know, maybe they do.

bikerdog
03-14-2010, 15:47
I don't think there is to much liability, because when one of these fails it would probably just go down range. I,E no critical failure.

DPris
03-14-2010, 18:38
Remington told me they don't consider those as actual breachers, they're there for looks.

And- emphatically no, you do not need a breacher. :)
Denis

Syclone538
03-14-2010, 20:39
I don't think there is to much liability, because when one of these fails it would probably just go down range. I,E no critical failure.

It's not going to go very far down range when it's up against a door, or are you thinking it will break apart at random while shooting at something farther away? I would think we would have heard about that by now.

aippi
03-14-2010, 21:59
The Remington Tactical Choke or as we call the Rem Joke is of no value and only adds length to your weapon.

DPris
03-14-2010, 22:07
The one I tried did seem to offer some recoil reduction, I'm not entirely sure I'd say they're completely worthless. :)
But, their inclusion on the package came from their marketing department, not from anything else.
Denis

Syclone538
03-14-2010, 22:29
Yeah I definitely agree that 99.9% of people have no use for a breacher, and those that do shouldn't use the rem tactical choke, but I just don't think Remington would have made it if it was much more dangerous then a real breacher when people try it.

DPris
03-14-2010, 23:14
The "breacher" choke was added at the marketing department's suggestion, the threads are not intended to stand the pressures if used as a breacher.
That's direct from Remington.
Denis

Syclone538
03-14-2010, 23:28
The "breacher" choke was added at the marketing department's suggestion, the threads are not intended to stand the pressures if used as a breacher.
That's direct from Remington.
Denis

I understand that, but you know people are going to try it, and I'm sure Remington knows that too.

DPris
03-15-2010, 00:23
Quite possibly people may try it, and I doubt it'll be a catastrophic failure if & when they do. It'll most likely be a one-try situation, after which those involved will know better.

I don't imagine that choke'll be in the lineup for very much longer.
You'll note you don't see it on any of the police-designated models.

Denis

B Coyote
03-15-2010, 02:17
The Remington Tactical Choke or as we call the Rem Joke is of no value and only adds lenght to your weapon.

But, but, but, but...

It looks SO tacticool and will help me pick up the new girl at the pretzel store across from the piercing kiosk.

:whistling:

bc

dualG22s
03-16-2010, 22:17
i personally only purchase weapons based on whatever football-bat idea they stick on it.breacher chokes....railsin every direction...pistol bayonets. all useful for "real" operators.

see ya....i gotta go breech the fridge for a beer

Uncle T-bone
03-18-2010, 15:28
i personally only purchase weapons based on whatever football-bat idea they stick on it.breacher chokes....railsin every direction...pistol bayonets. all useful for "real" operators.

see ya....i gotta go breech the fridge for a beer

+1. I use the breacher choke and shotgun bayonet a lot in the fall...when I'm planting tulip bulbs. Meet you at the fridge for another brew. :cool:

fowler
03-19-2010, 16:41
Not needed. The 97 Winchesters used during the depression blew off all hinges and locks. My plain 1950,s 870 blows doors open as well as any.

Spen84107
03-20-2010, 00:40
Definitely not needed, but there is no harm in having one either--if you like the looks, or it's thrown in with the purchase. (like mine) Ignore all the posts about NOT having them for legal reasons. Remington includes them on many shotguns stock, which will negate any negative legal argument against you and not remington.

KalashniKEV
03-20-2010, 08:39
I don't see what purpose they serve... anyone who has had a problem with "slipping off" just isn't doing it right. You just need to give a bit of standoff and you're good.

Pressing the muzzle into the door only invites:

1) The dreaded "slip-off"
2) Someone to learn this technique w/ a breacher equipped gun, then try it with a standard muzzle producing a barrel failure.

"Oh, but you don't get precision placement..."

It's like duck hunt when you used to stand right up to the TV. It's not hard to achieve "precision placement" without riding your muzzle across the screen...

akgunnut
03-21-2010, 14:22
People have defended their homesteads for many years using shotguns without them fancy breach chokes... they look cool but more than likely you'll pay a bit more for an 870 equipped with one.

Ialefty2
03-21-2010, 20:16
Can you replace the breacher with the "Rem choke", are the threads the same?

DPris
03-21-2010, 20:21
Threads are the same, Remington says you can replace the breacher with any RemChoke.
Denis

Ialefty2
03-21-2010, 20:32
Thanks.

jp 19
03-23-2010, 20:38
dam i was going to post a semi sarcastic reply...
but it has already been done quite well.....:whistling:

glock1926
03-24-2010, 09:43
Which choke would you recommend in place of the rem tactical choke that came with my 870 tactical? Used for 3gun and HD. :dunno:

B Coyote
03-24-2010, 09:46
Improved Cylinder.

bc

DPris
03-24-2010, 09:53
I'd agree, I/C for all-round use.
Modified if you want to go a bit tighter on shot without seriously swaging slugs.
Denis

glock1926
03-24-2010, 11:05
Thanks!