Wood question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wood question

.45 guy
03-14-2010, 10:05
Ok, this may be a dumb question. I have a bunch of treated fence post's. I have heard you shouldn't burn these. Are they safe to burn outside, in a campfire?

FullClip
03-14-2010, 11:22
Lots of places have local or state laws that say you shouldn't, but I've never heard of anybody getting busted for it. As long as it's legal to have an outside fireplace and any neighbors aren't moon-bat tree huggers who would call the local fire department or something, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wouldn't spend too much time huffing the smoke, grilling hamburgers or try to toast marshmallows over the fire :ack: I've burned a lot of the stuff in my back yard fire pit over the years. When I had to re-do the decks on my house, I just cut the old stuff up into fireplace sized chunks and got rid of it the old fashioned way. Nuthin' cleans like fire!:supergrin:

paynter2
03-14-2010, 12:02
Lots of places have local or state laws that say you shouldn't, but I've never heard of anybody getting busted for it. As long as it's legal to have an outside fireplace and any neighbors aren't moon-bat tree huggers who would call the local fire department or something, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wouldn't spend too much time huffing the smoke, grilling hamburgers or try to toast marshmallows over the fire :ack: I've burned a lot of the stuff in my back yard fire pit over the years. When I had to re-do the decks on my house, I just cut the old stuff up into fireplace sized chunks and got rid of it the old fashioned way. Nuthin' cleans like fire!:supergrin:

Just curious - whey would you 'have to' replace the deck if it was made from treated lumber? Isn't that stuff guaranteed for 30 years? :shocked:

Tikiwolf
03-14-2010, 12:09
If it's CCA treated lumber the arsenic isn't destroyed by the fire but leaches into the soil, and released into the air. And it is illegal to burn in all 50 states.

.45 guy
03-14-2010, 14:41
Interesting. I was going to use it while camping. How do I know if it's "CCA treared" and what is that? Nevermind I googled it. Seems to be used for playground equipment.

Tikiwolf
03-14-2010, 15:02
CCA is what was used for pretty much everything residential.

FullClip
03-14-2010, 15:33
Just curious - whey would you 'have to' replace the deck if it was made from treated lumber? Isn't that stuff guaranteed for 30 years? :shocked:

It comes in different grades, some last longer than others, but yeah..that's about how long it lasted. More like 25 or 26 years. Wasn't so much a fault of the decking start to rot out, but the way the deck was built into the house. The stringers started to get real punky and were sistered to the floor joists in the house, letting water from rain and melting snow get into the house and although I tried to save the decking boards it wasn't worth it. Easier and a whole lot faster to just cut the stuff up with a sawzall rather that pulling the nails and re-cutting the stuff that was still good. Now have cedar decking with PT stringers and beams and a different set-up to hold the stringers to the house.

If it holds together another 25 years (with some annual upkeep) it will outlast me I think.:supergrin:

.45 guy
03-14-2010, 15:42
I should be more desciptive. These are round 4' post. They still have knots in some. Not the 4x4 type.

paynter2
03-14-2010, 16:00
It comes in different grades, some last longer than others, but yeah..that's about how long it lasted. More like 25 or 26 years. Wasn't so much a fault of the decking start to rot out, but the way the deck was built into the house. The stringers started to get real punky and were sistered to the floor joists in the house, letting water from rain and melting snow get into the house and although I tried to save the decking boards it wasn't worth it. Easier and a whole lot faster to just cut the stuff up with a sawzall rather that pulling the nails and re-cutting the stuff that was still good. Now have cedar decking with PT stringers and beams and a different set-up to hold the stringers to the house.

If it holds together another 25 years (with some annual upkeep) it will outlast me I think.:supergrin:

Ah. :wavey:

Decks... My brother build a really expensive home with a three level deck. The builders put something on it that lasted about 2 years and then started to look like hell. I think it was probably Thompson's Water Seal. He has the money to just rip it up and use 'manufactured' wood for the replacement deck. Nice stuff - very expensive.

Mosquitoes are so bad where I live that I added a screen porch. My deck is on the east side of the house - under an over-hang. So, it stays good as new.

As expensive as the manufactured product is, I'd recommend it. I think it would pay off in the long run.