Proper AR Lubrication [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Proper AR Lubrication

WayaX
03-14-2010, 13:15
I'm about to own my first AR-15, and I've searched the internet for lubrication tips. Everyone has something different in regards to what parts need what type of lubrication. So what would be the proper type (CLP, grease, oil) of lubricant? What parts should be lubricated? And lastly, how much lubrication?

Constructor
03-14-2010, 18:24
This is just my opinion, I'm sure you could get a thousand different. I like to use white lithium grease or Tetra grease on the tail of the bolt just behind the rings up on the slope, it makes it easier to clean when it comes time. When cleaning I'll squirt the parts that don't move around much like the mag release and bolt catch with WD40 or CLP, rem oil etc.
I use Mobil 1 on the trigger and hammer pins and sears and on the rails of the carrier.
Some of the thinner oils evaporate quickly and must be applied more often, grease on the carrier rails can collect sand or grit so I try to stick to the middle of the road for lubes.
It really depends on how much you shoot, someone firing 100 rounds at a range in one day doesn't need much lube while I have watched 3 gunners squirt WD40 into the port and onto the carrier until it ran out of the barrel. The main thing again IMO is just don't let the carbon gum up the bolt and carrier to the point it slows down the cycle.

WayaX
03-14-2010, 21:47
Thank you for the quick reply.

RainierArms
03-15-2010, 10:34
The main difference between grease and oil is viscosity. We have had a lot of success with Mill-Comm brand. The AR15's tend to run better wet than dry. Some like to put grease all over the AR15 which causes problems more often than not. Light grease in the fire control unit is fine, oil is preferred everywhere else from my experience. Key areas are the contact areas; Bolt, Bolt Carrier Group & Charging handle.