Guns & Ammo Complete Book of the AK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guns & Ammo Complete Book of the AK

Aceman
03-14-2010, 14:01
On a newstand near you! Just got it yesterday evening. Review forthcoming, but overall, I'm liking it. great companion to the last Complete book of the AK.

*****NEW*****REVEIW*****

Overall - I like this better than the last All AK rag. Together - a great set with some pretty full coverage of great topics. OK - here is the review thus far:

Century Bulgarian AK74 - good review

AK/Krink as a PDW - ok. A lot of general PDW discussion. However - in combination with last year's 7.62 power curve from shorter barrel info - great combo!

Spettznaz - Who doesn't love a good Spetsnaz article? Nice special forces overview

Phasing out imports - Intriguing theory...

Soviet Starlight - Haven't read. Why not? Like I'll ever have a Soviet starlight scope...

Personal protection AK - Filler article. AK's are good in the trunk. Really? However - as mentioned, I'm looking for that rear sight!!!

Hornady Ammo for AK - VMAX baby! Nice review.

Trigger Article: MAG IS WORTH THE PRICE FOR THIS ALONE!!!

Desert DMR/Tabuk - alone, just a footnote. But combines well with the PSL for a long range AK overview.

Afghan AK's - Nice if you are headed there...or shopping for an AK there.

Suarez - good

AK handguards. "Handy" article, but not much

Feeding the AK - Heaven for the Mag geek. This plus Carlo's post is really all there could possibly be to know. Seriously. Great article - if you are into this. Obviously written for Carlos...10+ pages on mags + identification, etc...

VZ 58 vs AK - Awesome comparison. Except you'll have to get a Vz...

Accessorize your AK - filler

AK CLones - Interesting AK copy history. Zzzzzzzzz

PSL - Nice coverage - but not much new info.

Reality Training - haven't read yet

Buyers guide - weak - but hit's key areas

FMJ vs HP vs SP - Excellent to see a jello comparison. I KNEW SP was awesome - this proves it!

DLL9mm
03-14-2010, 15:42
I bought a copy today. :supergrin:

skanless
03-14-2010, 17:32
Thanks for the heads up. Gonna buy it later at barnes.

9mm +p+
03-14-2010, 21:45
Good mag! I got mine Fri. nite, lot's of good articles writtin by folks who don't seem to be biased against AK's unlike last years version. Well worth the $.

photoguy
03-14-2010, 21:47
Grabbed a copy today but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Looks good though.

Chevytruckin98
03-15-2010, 11:32
Great reading...interesting article on the Afgani Aks

Aceman
03-15-2010, 19:41
Like the softpoint ammo article.

Pierre!
03-15-2010, 20:26
I especially like the "Personal Protection AK"... the replacement rear sight looks like Da Bomb!

Hiding change from my wife so I can get one... if I can get some work, then I can get it sooner!!! :rofl:

Great Issue!

Aceman
03-19-2010, 16:30
See revised first post

PlasticGuy
03-20-2010, 14:14
I'm no magazine collector, but that article was fascinating. The PDW article was fantastic, and I've never wanted a class III firearms more in my life. The article on Russian special forces didn't have much focus on weapons, but it was very interesting from a historical perspective (and well written). Lots of filler articles in there, but most had an accessory or ammo option that caught my eye. Good stuff, and a worthy second edition in the series.

Aceman
03-20-2010, 16:05
The 7.62 ammo article in the first, and the Arsenal SLR107U article, plus the PDW are a great triple-shot of stuff. What's a PDW all about, why is 7.62 great out of shorter barrels, and a choice bit of Arsenal gear.

imsuchahotdog
03-20-2010, 22:28
coworker brought it to work this week, and have been reading it. pretty interesting, and the psl article is gonna help me out a bit, since i just purchased one.. just gotta wait to get the replacement scope back, since the one that came in was not working correctly