Ruger 10/22 how do you change the butt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 how do you change the butt?

flynlead
03-14-2010, 22:18
I bought a ruger 10/22 with the collapsable stock for my wife. It came with a straight piece for the butt to slide on but also came with an angled piece you can change out for the butt to slide on to lower it down on your shoulder and see the sights better.
Here is my question, how do you change them out? I took the two screws out but I am having hell getting it out. Any help would be appreciated.

gsr
03-15-2010, 06:48
I gather you have the Tapco stock. As far as I know, once you get the screws out, it's a tug-of-war to get the stock tube out. Good luck with that.

Rys2k8Altima
03-15-2010, 09:26
I used a rubber mallet. and you know how to remove the butt stock from the adaptor piece right?

flynlead
03-15-2010, 16:35
I gather you have the Tapco stock. As far as I know, once you get the screws out, it's a tug-of-war to get the stock tube out. Good luck with that.

I took the screws out but I jerked and pulled and it is stuck in there pretty tight.

I used a rubber mallet. and you know how to remove the butt stock from the adaptor piece right?

yes, I got that figured out--just cant get the damn thing to come out. Thought about heating it up with a blow dryer or something

flynlead
03-25-2010, 20:22
Ok, gonna try this again. I need to change the adjustable piece on the stock and I still cannot get it to come out. Do you think heating it up with a heat gun or blow dryer might help? I don't want to tear this thing up. I bought it for my wife and if I break it she might shoot me with it. :supergrin:

Atraeu
03-25-2010, 20:30
screws on the bottom

flynlead
03-25-2010, 20:51
took screws out on the side but none on the bottom

Avykit
03-31-2010, 19:52
Hey flynlead,
Sorry for the delay, but I have never posted before. I had a little trouble getting approved to post, but I am here now. Now down to business...I had the same trouble getting the butt out so that I could change it. Like you, I tried everything, and if you are half as frustrated as I was, I don't know how you are coping. Friction is holding it in there, so you need to add some oil. I used a machine oil, but I bet Gun Oil would work too. I think heating it up would just make it worse. HOPE THAT HELPS!!!