Where To Shoot In Utah -- Near SLC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where To Shoot In Utah -- Near SLC

MASIG
03-15-2010, 10:40
Just bought a tactical shotgun while in Sandy, Utah. Would like to try out gun. Told I can go into desert to use gun.

Anyone know where I can go not too far from Salt Lake City area (I'm in Sandy) to use gun legally?

Jdog
03-15-2010, 10:50
I used to go west past camp williams west of Lehi
should be some sage brush type place in the middle of nowhere
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.389639,-112.032824&spn=0.024352,0.038581&t=h&z=15

or there's a nice spendy indoor range at getsome guns off state street
http://www.getsomeguns.com/

Batesmotel
03-17-2010, 17:03
Head west on I-80 and take exit 77, go south to the big rock in the middle of the valley. This area is known as Lone Rock, you can shoot there. It is BLM land. Watch for ATVs. There are a lot of places in the desert to shoot but this is a good place to start.

MASIG
03-19-2010, 10:36
Thanks.

I drove by the area west of Utah lake -- that should work out just fine for my purposes.

One question though, I think there is a law which stipulates that you need to be 900 feet away from buildings. Is there a law regarding distance away from roads too? The area that found is close to Route 68 and there are tons of shotgun shell casings there -- still I want to make sure that I'm in line with the law. I have a car not a 4x4 so I'm not able to go very far up and into the hills.

Spen84107
03-20-2010, 00:27
Thanks.

I drove by the area west of Utah lake -- that should work out just fine for my purposes.

One question though, I think there is a law which stipulates that you need to be 900 feet away from buildings. Is there a law regarding distance away from roads too? The area that found is close to Route 68 and there are tons of shotgun shell casings there -- still I want to make sure that I'm in line with the law. I have a car not a 4x4 so I'm not able to go very far up and into the hills.

You'll be fine there. It's a known shooting area, and I see non-4x4 vehicles there all the time, going as far as possible for them and walking up a bit. There's a pretty large ravine/gap to the North side. Just use that as your backdrop. Have fun! I'll probably be out there tomorrow shooting my AR, 870, and G23! If you happen to see a green altima with someone shooting an AR, come say hello.

gsr
04-01-2010, 10:42
If you are willing to go south into Utah County, there is a range run by Provo City not too far up Provo Canyon. You can call the city's Parks and Recreation department to reserve yourself a lane if you can't make it when it is open for the public, which is Wedensday 4 to 8, and Saturdays 12 to 4, starting in a few weeks. There is a small fee of $2 per shooter, but you'll spend way more than that in gas getting out to the southwest side of Utah Lake.

gsr
04-20-2010, 15:48
Be aware that much of the Five Mile Pass area west of Cedar Fort is closed to shooting for the sake of OHV users. Signs are posted in the area.

GreyEclipse
04-21-2010, 23:26
As long as you don't go on the same day as my retarded brother in law then you should be safe...good luck!