Slug info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slug info

new2town
03-16-2010, 14:06
I just purchaced a new 870 Express Tactical / XS Sights. I'm in the process of checking patterns with 00 Buck, & sighting in Slugs. I now see a lot of different offerings in the Slug Dept. Rifled, not rifled, all copper, hollow point, 1 oz. , lighter and reduced recoil loads.
Question: At what distance should I zero my sights for slugs and Which kind. Rifled,non, light , heavy ? Good brands?
Thanks,
New2town

mixflip
03-16-2010, 18:27
I have mine zero'd at 50 yards with 1 oz. rifled HP slugs. Thats also the distance I qualified on my duty 870 with slugs.

I can still hit a mansized target out to 100 yards fairly easily with my ghost ring sights on my benelli SuperNova if I do my part.

Sabots appearantly need to be shot out of a rifled barrel to really take advantage of the sabot setup. Some say the sabots will wobble if shot out of a smooth bore shotgun since they basically have no spin. They are not front heavy like a berneke slug.

Jon_R
03-16-2010, 19:19
50 yards sounds like a good range for defensive purposes. Maybe would be a couple inches high at 25 and a few low at 75.

A smootbore you want rifled slugs. Never seen a pure copper slug but sounds expensive to have 1oz solid copper.

I just ordered a case (250) Win Ranger Slugs from OMB. $166 shipped. 1200 FPS 1oz HP so it is a little tamer then some but not sure it qualifies for reduced recoil.

I have used the Winchester 15 pack from Wal-Mart. I think those are 1450Fps and are pretty brutual when you fire a bunch. I had a USPSA shotgun match I setup and did a 12 round slug stage. I setup the stage but I had my fill of those full power slugs by then end of that stage. :)

B Coyote
03-16-2010, 19:51
I checked zero at 25 and 50 yards.

I like 1oz, low recoil, rifled slugs.

bc