Resident AK Experts Needed: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Resident AK Experts Needed:

Chevytruckin98
03-16-2010, 16:32
Ok I have a SGL-21 here with about 300 trouble-free rounds through her. The bolt carrier rail on the right side is a bit thin, and it really bothers me. I sent it back to Arsenal and they sent it back and said the rifle is functioning fine. They did offer to replace the rifle though. I have another SGL-21 that has beefy rails on both sides, so my question is: Should I sent it back or is this perfectly normal?
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z61/Chevytruckin98/AK.jpg?t=1268778743

Tailhunter
03-16-2010, 17:01
I would take them up on their offer ...

Chevytruckin98
03-16-2010, 17:52
Thats what im thinking, but im looking for a second opinion

skanless
03-16-2010, 17:53
Looking at mine right now. The rail does seem to be thin on your for some reason. I dont know if that would be a problem tho. :dunno:

Chevytruckin98
03-16-2010, 18:11
Looking at mine right now. The rail does seem to be thin on your for some reason. I dont know if that would be a problem tho. :dunno:

Thats what im thinking, Im waiting on Carlos or 7.62buzz or some of the others guys to chime in...

Im thinking eventually it will crack from stress

PlasticGuy
03-16-2010, 19:32
It does look a thin to me also, and I've got a lot of time on AK's. Generally, if a company offers to replace a product for free it's because they know it's outside normal production standards. I doubt it would ever give you a problem, but I'd take them up on it if it was me. You've got nothing to lose by swapping them out, and it would give me peace of mind.

my762buzz
03-16-2010, 20:58
I have another SGL-21 that has beefy rails on both sides, so my question is: Should I sent it back or is this perfectly normal?

I compared it to 3 other Izmash carriers and the back corner even looks different in shape. It probably would not ever cause a functional problem.
However, I would want more steel there if possible. Yes, take them up on their offer and get another.

Oddly, my Molot Vepr looks uniformly 3 times thicker in that same spot but its an RPK style carrier and that would not surprise me.

Glocker08
03-17-2010, 15:13
Ok I have a SGL-21 here with about 300 trouble-free rounds through her. The bolt carrier rail on the right side is a bit thin, and it really bothers me. I sent it back to Arsenal and they sent it back and said the rifle is functioning fine. They did offer to replace the rifle though. I have another SGL-21 that has beefy rails on both sides, so my question is: Should I sent it back or is this perfectly normal?
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z61/Chevytruckin98/AK.jpg?t=1268778743

Wow,that is thin ! I just looked at the carrier on my SGL-20 and its about twice as thick in that same area. Also,the rail on mine is even across its entire length. Yours in the pic appears to slant toward the back and then taper off. I say send it back and get another rifle.

andyffer
03-17-2010, 17:05
get the new rifle.

Chevytruckin98
03-17-2010, 18:40
Ok I think im gonna get the rifle...

CarlosC
03-18-2010, 06:59
Just so you know, I've been following this thread, but I have not had a chance to look at my own rifle for comparison. Regardless, I would follow 762buzz's advice and send it back.

Chevytruckin98
03-18-2010, 10:53
Just so you know, I've been following this thread, but I have not had a chance to look at my own rifle for comparison. Regardless, I would follow 762bzz's advice and send it back.

Thanks Carlos, I think I am gonna send her in today. FYI Arsenal has been pretty good through all this, a bit hard to communicate with, but okay. I am a little bothered that they made me pay shipping twice for this rifle.

andyffer
03-18-2010, 16:30
any time someone will offer me the same rifle but brand new out of the box, I'll take it

jamesavery22
03-23-2010, 13:15
Looks like Arsenal modifies the carrier. Heres a Saiga carrier for comparison:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6th1c7.jpg

Notice the notch where Chevy's carrier is thin. Thats where the Saiga manual bolt hold open catches the carrier. No clue why'd they would do that...

Stole the pic from Cobra 76 two on the Saiga forum.

Chevytruckin98
03-23-2010, 15:35
Interesting you say that because there are some grind mark at the thin part of the rail....makes sense now. THANKS!

jamesavery22
03-23-2010, 17:20
np
better pic of the rear right side of a Saiga iz-132 carrier:
http://i39.tinypic.com/xkq8mg.jpg

Chevytruckin98
03-24-2010, 15:35
Well, I asked Arsenal if I could change the stock color to plum if I paid the $6 difference. They responded that they want $50 for "labor" to change the furniture off the rifles to plum. I declined to pay the difference, so why do I have to pay for labor if I am getting a new rifle?

Chevytruckin98
03-31-2010, 19:15
Update: I got a new rifle from Arsenal. The customer service was mediocre, and the communication was poor. I did not get a tracking number for the warranty rifle btw.

my762buzz
03-31-2010, 20:03
Update: I got a new rifle from Arsenal. The customer service was mediocre, and the communication was poor. I did not get a tracking number for the warranty rifle btw.

Arsenal from what I hear does not have a great customer service division.

Chevytruckin98
03-31-2010, 21:46
Yeah, I also asked about paying the $6 difference and getting the plum stock. They wanted to charge me $50 bucks for labor......I think it is BS.

Also, the rifles' Arsenal markings look like they were done at Century Arms. It looks like the rifle was the runt of the litter. This kind of left a bad taste in my mouth on Arsenal.

my762buzz
03-31-2010, 23:04
Yeah, I also asked about paying the $6 difference and getting the plum stock. They wanted to charge me $50 bucks for labor......I think it is BS.

Also, the rifles' Arsenal markings look like they were done at Century Arms. It looks like the rifle was the runt of the litter. This kind of left a bad taste in my mouth on Arsenal.

The best customer service I have had with any AK related importer is RAA.
clyde Woods one of the owners is awesome.

The best customer service from a builder of parts I have had has been with
Vector Arms. Great people.

Century ,on the other hand, wouldn't even warranttee a new FAL rifle sitting as new stock on a dealer's shelf for a few years never sold once.

Arsenal makes great products but does not do so well in customer relations.

Robinson Armament has been really crappy with customer service on their no longer imported Veprs. Great product but lousy customer service.

Krebbs is great and so far I have heard great reports of customer service on his part.

The trend seems to be with higher volume the customer service gets worse
and the quality on labor related work performed on US soil gets bad.

Ted Marshall of Marshall Arms builds does very low volume from what I have gathered but makes some of the finest builds that are historically accurate
and he's a heck of nice guy to deal with as far as customer service.
http://marshall-arms.com/
If you want something made to the finest detail he is the man to see.
Its also not going to be cheap.
http://marshall-arms.com/pic/MarshallArms2.jpg