Girlfriend is officially a Glock owner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend is officially a Glock owner

fsqridah
03-16-2010, 20:33
Well not quite, but she will be in the next week. Anyway, my g/f is waiting on her CCW paperwork to come in so she can get her license from the courthouse. I had all of yesterday off, so we went to get food, then to the movies to buy tickets for Avatar, then had a few hours to kill, so we went to a local gun store. These guys know their stuff and although their prices are a bit higher than most of the other stores, they're much more helpful and it's the perfect place for a first timer. So we went in and there were the three guys I know that work there. I told one of them that she was the one there to look around and I let him do his thing. She held a G17, G19, 3" XD-9, S&W M&P, S&W M&P compact, Sig P229, Kahr PM9, etc. Steve gave her the whole rundown on every gun and I went over to browse the knives and shoot the **** with one of the other guys that works there. I could hear slides being racked and dropped, dryfiring, magazines being inserted, and so on. About 20 minutes later I went over and my g/f was really keen on the G19 RTF2 with the arced slide serratons. She thought it was a little big, so I had Steve pull out a G21 and she was like, "Whoa, now that's a big gun." It was the first time I'd held an RTF2 and although the grip is a little tacky looking, it's the best traction you'll ever find on a grip. I mean you grab it and it's not going anywhere. I'm not big on the arced slide serrations, but she really liked them as they gave her a better gripping surface. Her only qualm was, "But it's a Glock 19...everybody has a Glock 19." One of the other guys that works there had just come in and said, "Well yeah, it's the number one selling gun in America. I don't have one...I have several." She loved the feel of the grip and slide serrations, the finger grooves matched her hand size perfectly, and she was like, "So...how do I go about getting this?" She gave me a look because I'm the one buying it for her and she thought I should wait until I get my refund on a returned $595 watch I foolishly ordered last week. Steve said, "If you can put a third down, we'll hold it for up to 60 days with no interest. And this will be your gun. You won't get another just like it, you'll get this exact one." So I paid a third down and on Monday I'll be going in to pay the rest and take it home to her. She'll be in class all day so she won't be able to go, but I may wait an extra day or two so we can go together if possible. There's nothing like the feeling of leaving a gun store with your very first gun. :supergrin:

She wasn't really into getting a gun for herself until she found out a lot of the girls in her life group at church have guns. She just moved out of my apt to live with one of the girls from her life group and in the process of moving her stuff to her friend's car, we started talking about guns and shooting. Some of her range targets were in the backseat and my g/f said, "You shoot? You have a gun?" Her friend said, "Oh yeah, I have a little .380. I shoot it all the time. It's so much fun." As much as I've tried to explain to my g/f how things are and how you need to be able to protect yourself, she hasn't really taken me that seriously since we lived together and I was always with her, especially at night. Well since she moved out, she's by herself more often, and I think that's more or less what got her thinking about taking responsibility for her own safety. Finding out that a lot of her friends have handguns and do a lot of shooting made her realize that's it's not at all taboo for a woman to own a gun, and she doesn't have to be "one of the guys" to go shooting. She said, "Babe, I hate to see you spend that much money on something. Use it to pay your bills." I said, "Look. I'm buying you a gun either way, so you might as well be there to pick it out." That did it, and she fell in love with the RTF2. So we'll hopefully get out to do some shooting next week, I'll get her loaded up with some 124gr Gold Dots, and we'll be in business.

Back at Thanksgiving, one of her sisters was visiting and had her b/f with her. He and I bagged a 150-pound doe that weekend, but we did a little shooting as well. He has a 5" Kimber 1911, I had the G29, and her sister had a .22LR revolver. She felt a little left out because she didn't have a gun of her own. Now that won't happen, and I promised her next time her sister and sister's b/f are in, we'll take them on in some target shooting. She's pretty excited about it. Anyway, just thought I'd share. It really makes me feel better that she'll be able to protect herself. I cannot imagine the devastating feeling of getting a call from her saying she'd been assaulted and robbed by some punk, or getting a call from the police saying she was in the hospital and in bad shape. Now that she's taking responsibility for herself, the chances of that have slimmed considerably. My only worry is that she'll get better than me. A G19 RTF2 is easier to control than a G33, and I have a feeling I'd better get some shooting in before she shows me up!

PTRJason
03-17-2010, 14:30
The only thing that caught my eye was she moved out of your place to go move in with her friend, shouldnt it be the other way around lol. j/k
:whistling::whistling:

fsqridah
03-17-2010, 21:18
The only thing that caught my eye was she moved out of your place to go move in with her friend, shouldnt it be the other way around lol. j/k
:whistling::whistling:

Lol, you would think so, but it wasn't about that. It was more that we're still in college, still have a lot of growing up to do, and we were living like a married couple. We never made time for actual dates (part of the dating aspect) because we were always at home together, and we were both losing a certain degree of independence. It's not something we're ready for, and there was a lot of mutual resentment over it. She's moved out and things are so much better now. We're actually going tomorrow morning to pick up her G19. We're both excited about it. Probably go with 147gr standard pressure Gold Dots if possible. Better penetration and less recoil. If it were me I'd be carrying 115gr +P+ Ranger T's, but I'm a velocity nut. :upeyes:

FrogWithAGlock
03-19-2010, 19:53
YAY! I love mine!

My little sister recently found the need to purchase a home defense weapon. She asked if I thought she should buy a Glock. I told her to shoot a few (several) different guns before deciding.... so we'll see.

But MAN, do I love mine. Basic black, goes with everything, always goes "bang".

Teddybear
03-21-2010, 14:07
still have a lot of growing up to do

Growing old is manditory, growing up is an option.

fsqridah
03-26-2010, 14:20
YAY! I love mine!

My little sister recently found the need to purchase a home defense weapon. She asked if I thought she should buy a Glock. I told her to shoot a few (several) different guns before deciding.... so we'll see.

But MAN, do I love mine. Basic black, goes with everything, always goes "bang".

That's what I always tell people, or at least to hold them and see how they feel in the hand. When it comes to a life-saving tool, I always choose reliability over anything. And Glock excels in that category.

Growing old is manditory, growing up is an option.

So true. It's sad that a lot of people get so obsessed with growing old that they forget to grow up, or simply choose not to.