Windows2000 admin question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows2000 admin question

RDW
03-17-2010, 15:27
How can I change/remove the admin account.

I do have acess to the admin account (I have the password).

It's just a "pain on the ass" to have to log on as the admin to add/remove programs etc.

Google was not my friend this time! :help::help:

Thanx in advance.

StuntPilot
03-17-2010, 18:20
You could edit your personal account to be an administrator, and then always have appropriate rights and access.

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/win2000/win2000.creating.user.accounts.html

Toyman
03-17-2010, 19:12
Doesn't it have right click Run as Administrator?

RDW
03-18-2010, 13:48
Doesn't it have right click Run as Administrator?

No - It's Windows 2000; I've not seen that option.

TuxthePenguin
03-18-2010, 14:12
Sounds like you need to add the your userid to the administrators group.

JimmyN
03-18-2010, 14:53
Win 2K doesn't have the 'run as..' option in the right click menu, that showed up with XP.
With Win2K you have to log off and then log on as administrator.

So your choices are to make yourself a member of the administrators group, or log on and log off each time you need admin authority.

Or you could use the geeky "look at what I can do" method to change users in Win2K.

Pull up Task Manager and kill the explorer.exe process. This will blank your desktop and all you'll have is the Task Manager window. Then click on the "New Task" button and type in "runas /user:localmachinename\administrator explorer.exe" Enter the password when prompted and your desktop will return and you'll be an administrator to do whatever you like.

fgutie35
03-18-2010, 15:12

It's just a "pain on the ass" to have to log on as the admin to add/remove programs etc.

Thanx in advance.
On win2K you cannot remove the Administrator account. Instead, what you can do, is to create a local account and give it administrator rights. That way you can add or remove applications using that account and not the admin account. There are some networking functions in which you will have to login with the administrator account regardless, but I don't think you will ever need to.

Sgt. Schultz
03-18-2010, 16:58

Thanx in advance.Had the same problem many moons ago, for W2K you need to use the secondary Logon service ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742511.aspx