Affordable quality knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Affordable quality knife

waynokarider01
03-17-2010, 19:40
That's right I am cheap. I have been carrying a SOG Flash 1 for 2-3 years everyday. Its been a good knife, but I am finding it to be a little light duty for the use I give it. I am thinking its time for an upgrade. Something tactical-ish. What I would like to see is a folder with a combo edge, preferably a tanto blade. The flash has been really good, but the pocket clip is too short. Several times each week, it comes unclipped and ends up either inside my pocket or falls to the floor. Also, I find too much flex between the blade and handle for heavy use. It measures about 5 3/4" long open, I wouldn't want to go any smaller, preferably bigger,definitely heavier, but not too big for my pocket or possibly on my belt. I was at a knife outlet over the weekend, and found a Buck that was pretty much what I wanted. It actually had the feel of a quality tool. That is what really got me wanting to upgrade. The problem was that that particular knife was made in China. I could buy one of them for less than $30, but I would rather find something US made. I was really fond of Columbia River years ago, but I bought one a while back at WM and was disappointed to see that it was made in China and the quality really wasn't like my older one. The trick is that I would like to only spend $50-60 real street price, not msrp. Some of the knives I have looked at can be readily purchased for 50-60% of MSRP almost anywhere on the net. I am not concerned with the brand name; I want quality and value (for cheap). So what knives do y'all feel are worth more than their price?

trickyvic
03-17-2010, 20:32
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian.

syntaxerrorsix
03-18-2010, 19:28
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Endura-Folding-Plain-Knife/dp/B001CZDNVU

ElectricZombie
03-18-2010, 19:39
Spyderco Endura or Delica.

w4004p
03-19-2010, 09:17
Kershaw Blur. i believe you can get a combo edge, but don't think it's available as a tanto.

waynokarider01
03-19-2010, 09:52
Thanks for the responses so far. I know that spyderco has quite a following, but I haven't found one that I really like yet. I saw some Gerbers that fit my specs, but they were all made in China, which I am trying to avoid. If I give that up, then I will just get the one that started me on this quest. I need to find someplace local, so I can check out the mini-griptillian in person. I'll have to give the Blur another look. You would be surprised at the knife companies that don't advertise where their products are made. Kershaw is one that does, and most of their knives are US made.

syntaxerrorsix
03-19-2010, 09:56
Thanks for the responses so far. I know that spyderco has quite a following, but I haven't found one that I really like yet. I saw some Gerbers that fit my specs, but they were all made in China, which I am trying to avoid. If I give that up, then I will just get the one that started me on this quest. I need to find someplace local, so I can check out the mini-griptillian in person. I'll have to give the Blur another look. You would be surprised at the knife companies that don't advertise where their products are made. Kershaw is one that does, and most of their knives are US made.

That use to be true. I understand your desire for American Made products but we aren't the only ones that work with superior steels and knife making techniques. Good luck on your search.

waynokarider01
03-19-2010, 11:59
That is for sure. Most any country can make a quality product, provided they use good materials. In fact, I was going through my knives, and the one that seems to be the best quality is a CRKT that I used and abused daily for several years. It was made in Taiwan. My other good knives include a Kershaw Blackout that is US made, a Kershaw Scallion also US made, and 2 SOGs that I am not really sure where they were made, but I like think the Columbia River is the best. I have another CRKT that I bought at Walmart for about $20 that was made in China and feels like a cheap toy. I wouldn't have bothered had it not been for the quality of my other knife. Don't get me wrong, its probably a good $20 knife, just not on par with the other. I got what I paid for. Its too bad that you cannot count on a $60 knife being 3X the quality of a $20 knive regardless of where is was made or by who.

Legion Etrangere
03-19-2010, 12:43
Walmart has the Kershaw Blur for less than $60.00. It has the tanto blade is a very fast opener,and is made in the USA.. A knife in the $20-$50 range, is what I call a "wonder knife". If you loose it, you don't wonder where you lost it. Spend a few more bucks for a quality knife.

up1911fan
03-19-2010, 15:54
I'll second the mini griptilian, lot's of option's, best knife in the price class imo.

A3middie
03-19-2010, 15:57
Spyderco Delica

wingspar
03-19-2010, 22:29
Spyderco Endura or Delica.

I own both of these knives, and second this suggestion. A Spyderco Stretch would be another great option. Here are my Spydercos from top to bottom. Stretch. Endura, Delica, all great choices, with the Delica being the easiest for EDC, and the Dragonfly, which would not fit your bill. All of these can be found in combo blades.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/122790250/original.jpg

dberry
03-20-2010, 00:35
Check out the Spyderco Tenacious,Endura,Delica and Centrofante and SOG Flash 2 are very durable blades. I have found some good prices at amazon.com on those models.

syntaxerrorsix
03-20-2010, 06:09
Walmart has the Kershaw Blur for less than $60.00. It has the tanto blade is a very fast opener,and is made in the USA.. A knife in the $20-$50 range, is what I call a "wonder knife". If you loose it, you don't wonder where you lost it. Spend a few more bucks for a quality knife.

Very true, most of the $50 range production knives you will never worry about. Use it, abuse it, break it, lose it go buy another. I EDC my Commander (once again) but around the water it's an Atlantic Salt or Endura. I have nice pretty Damascus steels and auto's for formal wear :supergrin:

Waffen Monk
03-20-2010, 09:38
I'll second the mini griptilian, lot's of option's, best knife in the price class imo.

Got mine shipped for $69 and change...get the mini grip, you won't regret it.

waynokarider01
03-20-2010, 10:46
Waffen Monk, do you have a link to where you bought yours. Also, anyone know how the quality of the discontinued imported Benchmade knives is?

MtBaldy
03-21-2010, 09:00
Waffen Monk, do you have a link to where you bought yours. Also, anyone know how the quality of the discontinued imported Benchmade knives is?

In a press release I can't find Benchmade at least implied quality was an issue in their discontinuing the Red Class knives. Just because they said it doesn't make it so, with the weakening dollar I would suspect financial considerations were as or more important. I've seen some Red Class knives reviewed very well, like the Pika.

Looking for something else I came across this:

http://policespecial.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=BM-556SBTOD&Category_Code=Benchmade

and thought you would like to take a look. I know nothing about the store beyond the price. I just ordered a mini-grip 556SBKOD from Amazon for $73.00. I know I could have found it cheaper but I have never had a problem with Amazon and wanted the knife here before I leave for FL on Friday.

waynokarider01
03-21-2010, 11:04
Thanks for the link. In my searching, the red class knives that I have found were insignificantly more affordable than the good prices I have found on the Mini-grip. I am right now trying to decide which Mini-grip to order. I have it down to 4. They are the tanto blades, OD handle with black smooth or combo edge, or Black handle with satin finish smooth or combo edge for about $10 less. When I set out, I was not even ready to consider a smooth edge. I really use my knife every single day, and find that some of the anti-serrated blade arguments are quite valid,valid enough to make me question my position, but some are pure posturing to validate an opinion. IE, this is what I like, so any other belief is wrong. Some people have no need for them, and thats great, but they do have uses. I do know that I have never seen any smooth edged saw blades, so, it would seem a legitimate case can be made for serrations for some kinds of usage. Yes, in the last week or so, I have actually used my knife to saw through a small tree branch, and a 1/4" thick sheet of some sort of composite plastic. Still, I agree that the part of the blade that is serrated would be the most usable part of the blade for a smooth cut. It doesn't take a genius to see how much better and easier a smooth edge will sharpen. That said, I would like to go smooth for those reasons, but I do currently use the serrations several times each week. I wish I knew for certain I could live without them. What about the black coating? It looks good. I would assume that the blade will clean up a little easier. Maybe a little extra corrosion resistance. Anything else I haven't thought of? Yeah, I realize I have done a lot of stressing over what a lot of people would consider a tiny purchase, but this should be quite a step up in quality for me, so I want to make the best choice I can.

MtBaldy
03-22-2010, 11:17
Thanks for the link. In my searching, the red class knives that I have found were insignificantly more affordable than the good prices I have found on the Mini-grip. I am right now trying to decide which Mini-grip to order. I have it down to 4. They are the tanto blades, OD handle with black smooth or combo edge, or Black handle with satin finish smooth or combo edge for about $10 less. When I set out, I was not even ready to consider a smooth edge. I really use my knife every single day, and find that some of the anti-serrated blade arguments are quite valid,.

I've never had an EDC knife with serrations so I'm a little apprehensive about it. I do know I've found myself cutting things with my little Buck Squire it probbably shouldn't have cut and would have cut better with serrations. And on the other hand, opening packages I usually choke up on it so only 1/4-1/2" of the blade is exposed anyway so the combo blade will still work fine for that. $70.00 is not an insignificant purchase for me either, I mean that's a bottle of 16 yo Lagavulin scotch I have to go without. I figure I got 20 years out of the Buck and at the time it was $30.00 I think so I got my money's worth. And it's still a good knife I'm just tired of looking at the bow in the blade where the belly is supposed to be. Like you said there are both pros and cons to the straight and combo blades. I may carry this for 6 mo.s or so and decide I want the straight blade too.

waynokarider01
03-25-2010, 23:55
Just to update this thread, one of the local gun stores that I shop is a Benchmade dealer. Their price (before tax) on a mini-grip was the same as the best price I could find online when shipping was factored in. So, for the additional cost of the sales tax, I was able to support a local business, get a knife in my hands today! I didn't get the mini-grip, though. I ended up buying the Mini-Presidio Ultra. I decided to try the smooth edge and the grips they had were all combos. Thanks to everyone here who participated!

Richard Simmons
03-26-2010, 07:03
Congrats on your new BM, I hope it serves you well!!

H&K 4 LIFE
03-26-2010, 08:17
I've been carrying CRKT folders for years. Currently a M21-12G. :)

Glock2008
03-26-2010, 08:18
Enjoy. I got the presidio 520 and its a great knife.

waynokarider01
03-26-2010, 08:44
That shop also sells Lone Wolf knives. They seemed to be of pretty high quality and were US made as well, and some were priced similarly to the BM, but I wasn't sure of their reputation. They also had a Boker that I really liked at a way affordable price, but it was made in China. I almost wavered, but then the news reminded me why I wanted to avoid their products much as possible. I found a Kershaw that I really liked locked in the case at the sporting goods store, and was just about to pay for it when I remembered to check it. Sure enough, it was the only Kershaw that was made in China of all the ones I looked at. Maybe it made an impression on someone when I said "Oh, I'm sorry I can't buy this, its made in China". Its all for the best, I love my new BM, and think that the size of it is really going to be a good fit for me. I just gotta find a tip to turn the pocket clip around, cause I am a lefty.

Glock2008
03-26-2010, 08:48
That shop also sells Lone Wolf knives. They seemed to be of pretty high quality and were US made as well, and some were priced similarly to the BM, but I wasn't sure of their reputation. They also had a Boker that I really liked at a way affordable price, but it was made in China. I almost wavered, but then the news reminded me why I wanted to avoid their products much as possible. I found a Kershaw that I really liked locked in the case at the sporting goods store, and was just about to pay for it when I remembered to check it. Sure enough, it was the only Kershaw that was made in China of all the ones I looked at. Maybe it made an impression on someone when I said "Oh, I'm sorry I can't buy this, its made in China". Its all for the best, I love my new BM, and think that the size of it is really going to be a good fit for me. I just gotta find a tip to turn the pocket clip around, cause I am a lefty.

Most hardware stores sell them, you'll need a TORX T-6 bit.

waynokarider01
03-26-2010, 23:56
Thanks, I couldn't find just a bit, but Sears had a t-6 screwdriver for $2.99. Now I'm good to go.

CLee0507
03-27-2010, 23:42
Just to update this thread, one of the local gun stores that I shop is a Benchmade dealer. Their price (before tax) on a mini-grip was the same as the best price I could find online when shipping was factored in. So, for the additional cost of the sales tax, I was able to support a local business, get a knife in my hands today! I didn't get the mini-grip, though. I ended up buying the Mini-Presidio Ultra. I decided to try the smooth edge and the grips they had were all combos. Thanks to everyone here who participated!

Congrats man, I just got my first Benchmade, a Mini-Griptillian. Have had it only a month but you can really tell the difference in quality vs other knifes I've had like Gerber. There is no comparison. I will be buying another Benchmade in the future like the one you got or the Barrage. I also was lucky enough to find the blue box toolkit from a local pawn shop for $10.