S Video laptop to TV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S Video laptop to TV

357glocker
03-17-2010, 20:39
The netflix online streaming is great to have but watching movies on a laptop gets old at home.

Both my laptop (Toshiba if it matters) and my TV (Sony Trinitron) have a 4 pin connection.

My questions are, is this possible to watch movies on from laptop to TV and how good can I expect the quality to be?

Sgt. Schultz
03-17-2010, 21:17
My Dell Inspiron has a S video connections that I've used to connect to hotel room TV's when traveling, I played movies from images stored on my hard drive and it was DVD quality ... I couldn't notice any difference.

YamahaBlue
03-19-2010, 04:56
when I did it, the quality was OK. But I was using an older tube TV. Now that my laptop screen has completely stopped working, and I have a LG LCD TV, I am using the VGA output from the lappy into the LCD. Woohoo, 42" monitor at higher PC resolution. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and I don't think I'll be buying a new laptop anytime in the near future.

YMMV

357glocker
03-19-2010, 07:03
Are you two using the audio from the laptop or does it transfer to the T.V.?

SKeefe
03-19-2010, 09:08
This won't work with Netflix, but check out today's woot.

http://woot.com/

YamahaBlue
03-19-2010, 13:40
Are you two using the audio from the laptop or does it transfer to the T.V.?

seperate audio out from laptop. TV has a headphone type, audio in jack for the PC input so i just connect that to the headphone out jack on the laptop

area727
03-19-2010, 14:48
It should work.

I connect my laptop to TV via VGA, and audio I use the headphone jack on the laptop, My audio cable splits to the red/white RCA connections for the TV. The quality isnt the greatest, but not bad for streaming content.

Sgt. Schultz
03-19-2010, 15:27
Are you two using the audio from the laptop or does it transfer to the T.V.?I can use the S video and a separate audio out on the laptop or a S video plug that has three RCA connectors.

357glocker
03-19-2010, 22:11
Thanks, I will try this out.