Motherboard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard?

SKeefe
03-18-2010, 16:01
This is pretty strange.

I got a computer from someone to fix. They said it had a virus. Well, when I got it and turned it on, I would get some sort of "boot.ini" error message (can't remember the exact message now) but it would go to the Windows splash screen and then shut down.

I found a Windows XP Home CD to use to run a Repair, and when I went a few days later to do so, the computer won't even boot. The fans come on, the hard drive spins up, etc. but nothing ever happen. Nothing ever displays on the monitor.

I tried taking out the RAM and it didn't beep or anything.

Any ideas? I'm not sure why it seems to have gotten more problems just by sitting around.

IndyGunFreak
03-18-2010, 16:48
This is pretty strange.

I got a computer from someone to fix. They said it had a virus. Well, when I got it and turned it on, I would get some sort of "boot.ini" error message (can't remember the exact message now) but it would go to the Windows splash screen and then shut down.

I found a Windows XP Home CD to use to run a Repair, and when I went a few days later to do so, the computer won't even boot. The fans come on, the hard drive spins up, etc. but nothing ever happen. Nothing ever displays on the monitor.

I tried taking out the RAM and it didn't beep or anything.

Any ideas? I'm not sure why it seems to have gotten more problems just by sitting around.

Well, either the repair didn't really fix the problem, or there's a more serious underlying issue. Can you try a clean install? Will the machine boot a Linux Live CD?

Usually if a machine will boot a Live CD, its a problem with the OS. If it was a serious problem(ide controller bad, bad bios, etc.) it would not boot a Live CD.

IGF

CitizenOfDreams
03-18-2010, 17:48
First thing I check when the computer does not boot at all (no beeps, no POST messages) is the CMOS battery. Some motherboards refuse to boot when the battery runs low. Check it with a voltmeter, replace if it's anywhere below 3.0V.

SKeefe
03-18-2010, 18:58
Well, either the repair didn't really fix the problem, or there's a more serious underlying issue. Can you try a clean install? Will the machine boot a Linux Live CD?

Usually if a machine will boot a Live CD, its a problem with the OS. If it was a serious problem(ide controller bad, bad bios, etc.) it would not boot a Live CD.

IGF
I never even got to try the repair, as after I got the CD and went to use it, the computer had the problem listed above (not coming on).

SKeefe
03-18-2010, 18:58
First thing I check when the computer does not boot at all (no beeps, no POST messages) is the CMOS battery. Some motherboards refuse to boot when the battery runs low. Check it with a voltmeter, replace if it's anywhere below 3.0V.
Thanks. I've never done that and don't know how... I'll do a google search and try it ASAP.

inthefrey
03-18-2010, 19:05

^Yes to this^ and...sounds as if the owner may have tried to upgrade the BIOS and failed.

Also,

Ckeck the power supply. The 12V lead that plugs into the MB. On 2nd thought, I'll bet $2 it's the power supply.

HKUSP45Css
03-18-2010, 20:39
A little "monkey maintenance" works quite often as well.

Take each component (including the CMOS battery) out and re-seat it. If it booted fine and then suddenly stopped something has either blown or wiggled loose. No video is going to be indicative of 1) memory 2) Video (duh) 3) bad CPU 4) bad motherboard. It's not likely the power supply since it's spinning the fans but, it's a long shot possibility.

It's also possible it's something simple you're overlooking because you're frustrated. Go check to monitor connections and make sure the "PC Speaker" is plugged in so you can hear the POST codes.

Just have a cup of coffe or a beer, clear your mind with half an hour of TV and go look at the problem again as if it was the first time. You'd be suprised how often that works.

Finally, it's possible, but not likely, the board is grounding on the case or on the standoffs. As a last ditch effort you could try removing the motherboard from the case and connecting everything to it while it's flat on a bench.

IndyGunFreak
03-18-2010, 21:00
I never even got to try the repair, as after I got the CD and went to use it, the computer had the problem listed above (not coming on).

Oh sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you did the repair, and when you went "a few days later"... it was screwing up..

My mistake..

IGF

SKeefe
03-19-2010, 06:30
^Yes to this^ and...sounds as if the owner may have tried to upgrade the BIOS and failed.
This is definitely not the case.

Let me go through the situation again...

When I got the computer, the only problem was that "it had a virus," according to the owner, which he later clarified as saying he was getting a message saying he had X number of infected items.

However, when I got the computer and turned it on for the first time, it would never fully boot. It was giving some type of "boot.ini" error, it would go to the Windows splash screen, and then it would shut off. So I quit messing with it, and brought a XP Home disc back from work a few days later.

When I turned the computer on a few days later to try the XP Home disc, this was the status:

- fans would come on
- hard drive spins up
- nothing ever comes up on the monitor (the monitor light flashes like it does when the monitor is left on but the computer is off. The monitor was NOT saying anything about "check cable" etc.)

Ckeck the power supply. The 12V lead that plugs into the MB. On 2nd thought, I'll bet $2 it's the power supply.
Even with this happening?
The fans come on, the hard drive spins up, etc.

Pierre!
03-19-2010, 19:31

YUP! If all of the proper voltages are NOT present at boot, very strange things will happen, just as you have described.

I keep a couple spare PSU's on the bench for just these occasions!

I think the first poster that mentioned this may be correct...

HTH

Sgt. Schultz
03-19-2010, 20:15
When I turned the computer on a few days later to try the XP Home disc, this was the status:

- fans would come on
- hard drive spins up
- nothing ever comes up on the monitor (the monitor light flashes like it does when the monitor is left on but the computer is off. The monitor was NOT saying anything about "check cable" etc.)

I just had a Dell Optiplex GX270 in my shop that the owner said would either fail to boot or once it did boot it would shutdown on it's own. When I got it the computer would pass POST but then go blank. Like yours all the fans where working, the HD was spinning up and if you removed components the system would beep ... then I noticed the bulging and leaking capacitors. A quick check of the web and it appears as though it was a common problem with this model in 03 - 04.

SKeefe
03-20-2010, 19:28
Could this have anything to do with it?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4448722279_0415450d9f.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4449497730_88d1393954.jpg

CitizenOfDreams
03-20-2010, 21:08
Yes, the toasted pin (+12V supply) could be the cause of your problems. Try cleaning it and see what happens. Also, check that the additional 4-pin power connector (which I'm almost sure your motherboard has, unless it's really really old) is in good shape and plugged in properly.

SKeefe
03-21-2010, 12:40
Yes, the toasted pin (+12V supply) could be the cause of your problems. Try cleaning it and see what happens. Also, check that the additional 4-pin power connector (which I'm almost sure your motherboard has, unless it's really really old) is in good shape and plugged in properly.
How in the world do you clean it?

I'm going to check Google in the meantime of course to see if I can figure it out.

fgutie35
03-21-2010, 12:48

Also,

You are right on the power supply. Althougth I have had a similar problem werew the chassis was at fault(ground of motherboard to chasssis).

SKeefe
03-22-2010, 07:01
Well I cleaned it out with a brush. It still looked dirty and burnt when I was done, but after plugging it in again it booted up.

What could have caused this to happen? Is it likely to happen again?