Nanny Cams - self-contained Covert DVRs -DIY? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nanny Cams - self-contained Covert DVRs -DIY?

inthefrey
03-18-2010, 18:48
Anyone have any experience with these?

There is a situation at the nursing home where my mom is staying that I need to get to the bottom of. I need it to be able to record a couple of days - audio and video. 15fps would be fine. A clock or clock radio would be perfect.

I would love a DIY project. Most of these I've seen are running $400+

..and I really don't give a hoot about the law since there may be abuse going on.

HKUSP45Css
03-18-2010, 20:15
Not a technical answer but, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my friends when they ask me how they can spy on someone they trust.

Once you've decided to spy there's nothing left to defend or destroy. Just cut the ties and move on, the relationship is over.

I think that translates very well to this situation. If you "think" there's abuse move your loved one somewhere else. Then, it won't matter anymore.

Any facility that allows abuse to go on will continue to do so once the specific offender you intend to catch is gone.

FWIW, you're going to have a difficult time storing that kind of data in a place you don't have free reign to run wires or store a server or other device. They do have wireless cameras that send their signal to an offsite server but, you're talking real money there.

inthefrey
03-18-2010, 22:05
Not a technical answer but, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my friends when they ask me how they can spy on someone they trust.

Once you've decided to spy there's nothing left to defend or destroy. Just cut the ties and move on, the relationship is over.

I think that translates very well to this situation. If you "think" there's abuse move your loved one somewhere else. Then, it won't matter anymore.

Any facility that allows abuse to go on will continue to do so once the specific offender you intend to catch is gone.

FWIW, you're going to have a difficult time storing that kind of data in a place you don't have free reign to run wires or store a server or other device. They do have wireless cameras that send their signal to an offsite server but, you're talking real money there.

Mom keeps telling me that the staff is NOT giving her pain medication. Yet, I see what appears to be her signature next to her perscription chart. She IS starting to lose her memory and I just want to be sure it's HER and not the staff. The staff where she is staying is extremely nice. If I DID find a discrepancy, I would not use the evidence, I would just move her like you said - already decided this.

Edit:

This is the best one so far.
http://palmvid.com/content/categories/video-cameras/sub-categories/pre-hidden-cameras-wdvr/products/cube-clock-alarm-radio-with-built-in-sd-card-recorder.html

HandyMan Hugh
03-18-2010, 23:37
inthefrey: Be very very careful here. Pennsylvania is one of many states that require a court order to serreptitiously record audio. Even if you DO find evidence that your mother is being neglected, YOU could possibly end up in a heap of trouble if you violate that law!

inthefrey
03-19-2010, 07:02
inthefrey: Be very very careful here. Pennsylvania is one of many states that require a court order to serruptitiously record audio. Even if you DO find evidence that your mother is being neglected, YOU could possibly end up in a heap of trouble if you violate that law!

Yeah, I was aware of the sticky nature of law here. Got to think about this really hard. I'm probably just going to go to the administration there and tell them we may have a problem. She's taling this oxycotin stuff for severe arthritis pain and I know there's a market for it.

Yeah, maybe need to rethink my course of action here.

Thanks for the advice all.