Refurb a Detroit PD Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Refurb a Detroit PD Glock?

David_Ely
03-19-2010, 14:17
I have one of the DPD 2nd Gen. G22s that I originally bought as a collector's piece but like all my collector pieces I also like to shoot them. After putting 100 functionally flawless rounds thru it, I have discovered it isn't very accurate.

Now I'm torn what to do about it. Part of me wants to keep it 'as issued' and part of me wants to 'upgrade' it and make it an accurate shooter. I already have several other GLOCKS in 9mm and 45 GAP and had never really wanted a .40 but when I had a chance to get a Detroit PD GLOCK, I went for it.

So, should I refurb it or just leave it 'as issued' and just plink with it or should I refurb it for more accuracy?

Kickitsimple
03-19-2010, 14:20
do you plan on keeping it for a while or selling it?

David_Ely
03-19-2010, 15:32
do you plan on keeping it for a while or selling it?

Keeping it. I didn't intent to shoot it much when I bought it but it's just too hard to leave it there and not shoot it.

cdunn
03-20-2010, 08:44
I'm watching this, I also have one of those.

David_Ely
03-20-2010, 20:28
I noticed the front sight doesn't look squared on the slide (it's an OEM plastic one) so I ordered a new GLOCK front sight in steel (not a night sight). It will be the only external upgrade I'm going to do. I also ordered a new OEM recoil spring assembly, firing pin safety spring, firing pin spring and spring cups. I'm still debating if I'm going to change out the old original leaf spring NY1 trigger spring with a new coiled NY1 trigger spring.

MakeMineA10mm
03-20-2010, 21:59
I'd try it for accuracy after changing out the front sight. The plastic sights are the only gripe I have with Glock. If the steel ones are on solid, it should not be a sight issue.

If it's still inaccurate, try switching to a 5-lb standard spring. I've found the NY springs (in all their variations) tend to cause me to lose accuracy.

USUALLY (but not always) police-issue guns are worn hard on the outside, but are in good shape on the internals, so I'd be surprised if the accuracy problems are barrel-related.

GunOneDown
03-22-2010, 13:20
I agree with MMA10mm.
If you want, just buy a LoneWolf barrel for $100 and swap in when shooting. Its drop in.
IMO, Police guns get less fired rounds through them than normal shooters guns. If it would have been a retired range gun, that's a different story. Internals are probably fine, but it doesn't hurt to have spares just in case.

Norske
03-22-2010, 20:01
Accuracy....Accuracy......ACCURACY.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Why is everyone so hung up about "accuracy" in a defensive/duty side arm?

"Accuracy" is about the 3rd or 4th most important attribute of such a sidearm.

First is reliability. Second is stopping power. Third, to me at least, is "carriability". Fourth comes "Accuracy".

The heart/lungs target you are shooting for is a circle 8" across centered on the sternum. Any gun that will hold a 4" group at whatever you consider to be extreme gunfighting range will stay inside that 8" cricle and is therefore "good enough".

Anything that cuts a tighter group than that may be interesting, but unnecessary.

Especially if it is achieved at the expense of any of the 3 more important attributes.

Does your ex-DPD G-22 hold a 4" group at 75'? If it does, that is all you need. That is "good enough". :dunno:

Dalton Wayne
03-22-2010, 20:09
Detroit PD, wonder how many bodies it has on it?

David_Ely
03-23-2010, 06:02
Accuracy....Accuracy......ACCURACY.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

Why is everyone so hung up about "accuracy" in a defensive/duty side arm?

"Accuracy" is about the 3rd or 4th most important attribute of such a sidearm.

First is reliability. Second is stopping power. Third, to me at least, is "carriability". Fourth comes "Accuracy".

The heart/lungs target you are shooting for is a circle 8" across centered on the sternum. Any gun that will hold a 4" group at whatever you consider to be extreme gunfighting range will stay inside that 8" cricle and is therefore "good enough".

Anything that cuts a tighter group than that may be interesting, but unnecessary.

Especially if it is achieved at the expense of any of the 3 more important attributes.

Does your ex-DPD G-22 hold a 4" group at 75'? If it does, that is all you need. That is "good enough". :dunno:

It already reliable. There is no such thing as 'stopping power' in a combat pistol, a G22 isn't meant to be concealed and so that only leaves accuracy. If a pistol can't hit a piece of 8.5"x11" piece of paper when rested at 25yds, it needs accuracy help. This pistol is not my carry gun. I have newer and smaller GLOCKS for that.

GunOneDown
03-23-2010, 14:17
are u saying that it would not hit 8 1/2 x 11 paper at 25yds. WOW .........
Take the sights off and sight down slide and see if it hit the paper from a rest. you might have other issues if it doesn't. guess that tidbit of info got left off original post.
if you don't have bigger targets, get a newspaper and tack up 2 full pages to make huge back ground and place target in center. let us know what it does then.

David_Ely
03-23-2010, 14:58
It could not consistently hit a sheet of paper while rested at 25yds. I'm going to start with the sights and springs first and then I'll see how the 'refurbed' slide does on my Gen 3 G17 frame. If it still sucks, I'll probably send it back to GLOCK and let them work on it.

rushur
03-24-2010, 05:34
I don't believe making some minor changes to your DPD Glock ruins "having a DPD firearm". Just keep the original parts so they are be reinstalled if you want to sell it. I have changed the connector to a #3.5, replaced the trigger spring with a Glock #5 spring, had the firing assembly polished and replaced the front sight with a Bright Lite sight. This has made for a nice shooter that is easily changed back to a stock DPD Glock if need be.

David_Ely
04-01-2010, 17:40
Well . . . replacing the firing pin springs and cups, the safety plunger spring and the recoil spring, it's still sucks for accuracy. The reliability has never been an issue but even at 7yds I still get flyers that are no where near the main grouping. I have not messed with the sights yet. I figured that even if they were off, the grouping should be good but off.

I'm going to try putting the DPD slide on my Gen3 G17 frame next and give it a try. If accuracy improves with this combo, then I'll know it's the frame screwing things up. If not, it looks like I might try a new barrel next.

Any other ideas to help me out?

cadillacguns
04-04-2010, 14:05
Could send it back to glock INC for a refurb and internals upgrade. If your grtting a metal front, drift out and replace the metal rear, better yet have Glock replace the sights with GNS.

I got a DPD 27, brand new in the box, and thats the way it will stay.

Armed-N-Ready
04-07-2010, 17:29
I recently acquired a retired Macon Police Department G22 with all of the original "MPD" labeled Glock packaging, magazines and accessories. This G22 was issued with an 8lb trigger and Meprolight night sights that are worn and very dim and the slide has a "chalky washed out" appearance. I'm considering sending it "back home" to Glock to have them inspect it, replace any worn items and refinish the slide. According to the price list e-mailed to me by a Glock representative, the cost for this service is reasonable.

Combat_vet
04-07-2010, 19:56
I have a friend who owns a Pawn Shop and they do all my transfers. The other day looking in their case they had in a G22 from Detroit as well, I looked it over and boy was it rode hard and put up wet; looked like hell.

Needless to say, they pulled the price off of it and it was "Reserved". Apparently they got a call from the officer whom it was issued to years ago and when he was forced to trade it in he called around and followed the gun from owner to owner trying to buy it back and no-one would sell it to him, until he tracked it to my friends pawn. My friend stated that the officer said that pistol was the "finger of God..." many times.

Officer and Glock re-united for a small fee (blue book), he he he!

Armed-N-Ready
05-18-2010, 21:46
Hmmm, pawn shops...

albinlee
06-06-2010, 14:58
After hearing about the internals you have replaced, and still hearing about the problems you are having, I would pose one of the following ideas:
1. What type of ammunition are you using to make these observations? Try larger grain (147) high quality ammo and see if the accuracy improves. This might indicate that...
2. The gun was shot excessively, and the throat of the barrel (the beginning of the rifling, right beyond the chamber) has been completely worn. Less likely to be the case.
3. Field strip and take a look at the crown of the barrel (ie the muzzle), and see of it may have been dropped and nicked. Sometimes, simple damage on the inside lip of the crown can completely ruin accuracy!
4. Check for wear on the inside of the slide, where the striker contacts the casing. If there is excessive wear, i.e. a dip where the casing would rest against the slide when firing, this might also indicate a high round count through the pistol.

Either way, I understand how you would like to keep the serial # matching on the barrel! Get another Glock barrel to drop in at the range, and keep the old one for the serial number.

riding4life162
06-06-2010, 21:29
USUALLY (but not always) police-issue guns are worn hard on the outside, but are in good shape on the internals, so I'd be surprised if the accuracy problems are barrel-related.

IMO, Police guns get less fired rounds through them than normal shooters guns.

+1

4. Check for wear on the inside of the slide, where the striker contacts the casing. If there is excessive wear, i.e. a dip where the casing would rest against the slide when firing, this might also indicate a high round count through the pistol.

See as though its a Gen 2 and a Detroit PD firearm, I would say it was used in at least 75 police shootouts, and a few bodies on it, it possibly could have been used in a murder. If I were you I would sell it to me for dirt cheap just to get it out of your hands!!!!!

David_Ely
06-11-2010, 08:32
I am using Federal 180gr FPFMJ. I took it out and shot it again today. It's reliable and within 7 yards it more than accurate enough for self defense. But, it will sit as a collector's item. I don't care for the .40 caliber round and I have several other 9mm and .45 GAP GLOCKS for every day use.

doneroman
09-30-2010, 15:54
Umm hmm. I can identify. My Academy ran 1st gen 17s, bought new, and we were the last cycle to use them and therefore we are being offered first dibs on them. One of our instructors guesstimated they had around 35K rounds on them. I'll buy as many as we are OK'ed for. Absolutely incredible "finger of God" stuff going on there. Don't try and figure it out-just send it to Glock and have them do it. Or send it to me please.

Needless to say, they pulled the price off of it and it was "Reserved". Apparently they got a call from the officer whom it was issued to years ago and when he was forced to trade it in he called around and followed the gun from owner to owner trying to buy it back and no-one would sell it to him, until he tracked it to my friends pawn. My friend stated that the officer said that pistol was the "finger of God..." many times.

Kadetklapp
10-01-2010, 08:05
I have a retired Indiana State Police Beretta 96G. Custom ISP grips and ISP hat badge engraved on the frame.

It has horrid "slide rattle" when shooting, and it's not too terribly accurate compared to my Beretta 96G that my dad owned which was fired very little. The ISP gun has been used and abused for sure.

That being said, I left it alone. It functions 100% (aside from the scary slide rattle) but it's a collector piece.

cadillacguns
10-06-2010, 07:01
My DPD G-22 came with the NY-2 installed, I cleaned it, and have been firing it, its as accurate as any other G-22 I own, and I own (5) G-22 LEO retiree's.

I wish I could find a supply of a couple DPD marked G-22 15 rd mags to go with it.

Anybody have any LMK bgforres@juno.com

Armed-N-Ready
11-05-2010, 21:49
I recently acquired a retired Macon Police Department G22 with all of the original "MPD" labeled Glock packaging, magazines and accessories. This G22 was issued with an 8lb trigger and Meprolight night sights that are worn and very dim and the slide has a "chalky washed out" appearance. I'm considering sending it "back home" to Glock to have them inspect it, replace any worn items and refinish the slide. According to the price list e-mailed to me by a Glock representative, the cost for this service is reasonable.I just shipped it "back home" for re-freshening on November 1st, so I'll let you know when I have an update or some photos to share.

cadillacguns
11-06-2010, 05:00
Thanks keep us informed, mine shoots great as is and has most of the wear on the grip area, just a few scratches.

I would like to find some DPD mags that were supposed to come with it, I just got standard mags in my Gunbroker purchase, anybody have any DPD Marked ones for sale LMK bgforres@juno.com

Armed-N-Ready
11-07-2010, 08:40
Will do...

Armed-N-Ready
12-05-2010, 13:27
I received an update from Glock, Inc. on 12/01 stating that my G22 "was currently at the refinishers...", so right now it appears that it should be back just before Christmas. :cool:

cadillacguns
12-06-2010, 04:47
Whats the cost? I dont think I could be away from my G-23 too long, its been about a month since I sent the slides from my G-22 and G-23 to trijicon for N/S lamp replacement and its killing me, I should have sent them one at a time G-23 first.............anyway LEO's/Gov send your slides back to Trijicon for new Night sight lamp replacement warrentied for an additional 12 years only $54 incl return shipping.

want to see pics when yours gets back.

Armed-N-Ready
12-11-2010, 23:33
I'll check the pricing menu on Monday when I get back to the office and post some photos as soon as it arrives back from Glock.

cadillacguns
12-16-2010, 03:39
Got my matching mags in. Very happy!

Armed-N-Ready
12-25-2010, 20:41
Well, due to the holidays my G22 is still at the "Glock Spa" in Smyrna, so as Chicago Cub fans ALWAYS say... "Just wait until next year!"

Happy New Year! :cool:

ADK_40GLKr
12-26-2010, 22:38
I picked up my DPD G22 last July. I've been running 25 to 50 rounds once a week, so must have 1 K rounds by now. I'm still improving, so I can't attest to ITS accuracy, but I am keeping 10 rounds inside the "8 ring" at 7 yards. Good enough for SD. The plastic front sight fell off, so I replaced with Trijicons. Otherwise, the gun was in pretty good shape. SN# 02xxxDPD

Do you suppose there's any chance of finding the LEO who carried it?

ADK_40GLKr
12-26-2010, 22:44
No intention of unloading mine (in either sense of the word) but you guys talk like this piece may have some value over the run of the mill used Glock?

Any estimates? :violin:

ADK_40GLKr
12-27-2010, 17:32
Detroit PD, wonder how many bodies it has on it?

I asked that Question of the dealer who found mine for me. He said, "The bodies are on the shotguns.":faint:

cadillacguns
12-28-2010, 09:55
No real collectors value other than those who wanted a Glock with a lil history, many DC Glocks, Boston Glocks, etc have been surplused as well as the Detroit Glocks. I got a NIB G-27 baby Glock unfired and my G-27 been there done that model, I was born and raised in Detroit and had a family friend who always came to our house with a nickle plated S&W snubbie on his belt marked Detroit Police Department, hence my intrest (Detroit/GLOCK) mine is 1776 another reason for me buying it.

ADK_40GLKr
12-31-2010, 20:16
Did you all see this posted over in Caliber Corner? Actually it's from a pretty comprehensive list of Police Depts. world wide.

cadillacguns
02-10-2011, 06:41
See what ADK ? A link would help. Is it a list of agencies that use Glocks, cause I have a few un marked LEO trade ins, I would love to know what department first owned it.

ADK_40GLKr
03-14-2011, 17:29
I wish I could find a supply of a couple DPD marked G-22 15 rd mags to go with it.

Anybody have any LMK bgforres@juno.com

I have a couple DPD marked G-22 15 rd mags (post-ban) which I'd swap for a pair of PRE-BAN ones.