Is there work as a Glock gunsmith? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there work as a Glock gunsmith?

zoti
03-19-2010, 17:56
I'm not familiar that much with gunsmithing. The Glock seems to be a very easy gun to maintain. The parts are rather cheap and it's easy to work on. I'm very technical and I was wondring if I could do gun smithing as a side job.

Are there levels of gunsmithing?

Is there demand?

I can see that some people would like to have sights replaced and take the gun the a gunsmith because they have not done it before or don't have the tool.

So assuming replacing the sights is an easy job, what would be a very hard job? I'm not talking about manufacturing a barrel or anything like that. maybe a compleate rebuild of a gun?

JohnKSa
03-19-2010, 19:43
There is probably work in replacing sights, but most of the other things on a Glock can be replaced/serviced by the average gun owner.

My guess is that you'd probably have to take in other kinds of gunsmithing work to make ends meet.

zoti
03-19-2010, 20:10
OK. What kind of other gunsmithing work is there? I'm asking because I'm not familier with the field. Do you do gunsmithing?

JohnKSa
03-19-2010, 22:49
I do most of my own gunsmithing (I know my limitations! :supergrin:) and occasionally some simple work for friends and club members.

Probably the simplest gunsmithing work that a person could do that people will pay for is mounting and boresighting scopes on hunting rifles and replacing sights/installing night sights on pistols.

Those tasks are generally quick and easy to do and hard to screw up if you have some specialized tools which most people don't have and won't purchase due to price. They don't require a lot of skill, just some very basic know-how.

There are many other types of gunsmithing that require varying amounts of skill such as:

Stock work (stockmaking, grip making, bedding, recoil pads, checkering, finishing, inletting)
Metal finish work (polishing, blueing, parkerizing, plating, coatings)
Barrel work (rebarreling, lapping, recrowning, rechambering, shortening)
Action work (trigger jobs, trueing actions, spring tuning, lapping)
and lots more...

zoti
03-20-2010, 00:28
Thanks.

BBJones
03-20-2010, 06:17
Seeing as you don't know much about gunsmithing before you are thinking of taking it up as a job, I am going to say it may not be the right line of work for you. Years of experience before becoming a professional is the usual way of doing things. Depending on the work you might do, you could need to get an FFL license.

lethal tupperwa
03-20-2010, 06:32
The first step would be TAKING A GLOCK ARMORERS COURSE

zoti
03-20-2010, 08:14
I was not planing to open a shop tomorrow. I was thinking of doing dome small work first and progress as I go.

Six month ago I did not know anything about welding as well but decided to take on a very big task. I know it's hard to judge someone off a post off the Internet but it will give you some idea.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/building-boxing-ring-991176/

Starbelly
03-20-2010, 08:33
That's awesome. Not only the fact that you built that ring, but you posted on Sherdog (I've been visiting that sight since 02)

zoti
03-20-2010, 08:46
Anything is possible. Even shutting up the skeptics on sherdog. Lol.

etravix
03-20-2010, 08:53
Nice work and it's definitely made to last.

mccallisterbrian
03-20-2010, 08:54
Since I am a glock armorer and a certified gunsmith I would like to put in my $.02. When it comes to working on glocks all you really need is the armorers course. if you plan on doing more technical issues with other firearms then training as a gunsmith is a necessity. I have been in the firearms field for over 20 years and i have fixed to many firearms that the average person tried to do with out the proper training and knowalge of the firearm they are trying to work on. I would advise to go to a good gunsmith if you are not sure 100% of what you are wanting to do.

zoti
03-20-2010, 10:08
Thanks Mc. I appriciate the input. I was thinking of doing Glock work to start with. Then maybe expanding.

So I have been reading a bit about The Glock armorer couse. Can you tell me some more about it?

mccallisterbrian
03-22-2010, 05:43
If you go into glocks or gssf web site gssfonline.com and go on to the training section there is info on the Armorers course. It will have a desription of them as well as the locations. The cost is $150 for the 1 day course. To be eligible to take the Armorers Course you must be an active law enforcement or military officer, private security,GLOCK Stocking Dealer/Range Program Employee or current GSSF member. So the easiest way is to join GSSF It is $35. This class will helpp you get the knowage you need for what you are wanting to do.

I am getting back into piad gunsmithing again. I plan on being just a custom glock armorer. What what i plan on doing is not something the avarage person can do unless you have the technical knowledge about firearms. I have over 15 years of experience in just working as a LEO glock armorer. Plus 20 years working for the Government as aCertified Armorer/ Gunsmith where i got my start in the fire arms industry. I have carried a glock as my duty weapon since 1999, But have been an armorer and certified gunsmith since 1995.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors. The only way that you can make your goal happen is with education in what you want to work on. It is easy to get it , but it will just take you time on your behalf.

If you need any help you are in the right place to receive it