Anybody running Windows 7 yet?.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running Windows 7 yet?....

woodz
03-19-2010, 20:15
...just curious about how stable it is and if it is as stable as XP....:popcorn:

CitizenOfDreams
03-19-2010, 21:55
I'm installing 7 in a virtual machine as we speak, just to start getting used to it (and to find ways to get rid of all the fuzzy icons and menus). The real computer will keep running XP for a few more years.

IndyGunFreak
03-19-2010, 21:56
I'm installing 7 in a virtual machine as we speak, just to start getting used to it (and to find ways to get rid of all the fuzzy icons and menus). The real computer will keep running XP for a few more years.

I put it in Vbox last week.. Runs well. I never tried Vista... XP also ran really well.

IGF

CitizenOfDreams
03-19-2010, 22:05
I never tried Vista...

Remember the disaster called Windows Millenium? Same thing, just needs a 10 times faster computer. :supergrin:

XP also ran really well.

The best OS Microsoft has made so far, in my humble opinion. Too bad they have to get rid of it to sell us something new.

TBO
03-19-2010, 22:16
<----has major experience with Windows XP.

Experience with Vista 64 bit.

Limited experience with Windows 7 64 bit.

I think Windows 7 does have potential as a Windows OS. It does not repeat some of the transgressions/sins of Vista.

ymmv

IndyGunFreak
03-19-2010, 22:30
Remember the disaster called Windows Millenium? Same thing, just needs a 10 times faster computer. :supergrin:

The best OS Microsoft has made so far, in my humble opinion. Too bad they have to get rid of it to sell us something new.

Geez... Windows ME... what a disaster.

XP was, and is.. actually pretty good. I'm not really sure why they are doing away with it. Just keep updating it, etc.. Its solid, stable for the most part(barring retarded users)... I just don't really see what 7 offers, that XP couldn't have offered w/ some updates(think XP SE)

IGF

Mak Maven
03-20-2010, 09:08
Win 7 = XP on steroids.
Been running it on 3 computers before release date
No problems, most stable yet.

Rabbit994
03-20-2010, 09:27
I've been running since they released it to Technet Users. It's decent OS that doesn't require a Dual Core and 4GB of RAM to run decently. It's stable, easy to use and works.

XP was, and is.. actually pretty good. I'm not really sure why they are doing away with it. Just keep updating it, etc.. Its solid, stable for the most part(barring retarded users)... I just don't really see what 7 offers, that XP couldn't have offered w/ some updates(think XP SE)

For the same reason they released Linux Kernel 2.6 when 2.4 was working fine. There was some modern stuff they wanted to do and old code was holding them back.

seanmac45
03-20-2010, 09:32
Going on two months with it in a two year old Dell XPS 760 that was originally an XP machine.

Bought a small hard drive put 7 on it and made the original HD the second drive. Had to buy a new printer due to lack of proper drivers. Took a while to get the sound card running, but now everything is up.

Has been very stable. Some nice manipulation upgrades, not any real negatives so far.

Running 64 bit version on 5 gigs ram.

All in all very nice platform. Glad I managed to avoid Vista totally.

ancienthacker
03-20-2010, 09:34
I have it on a netbook at home and on a recent desktop at work. Stable, fast, plays well in a Windows domain. If I can find decent upgrade pricing I'll upgrade all the machines at home.

Drjones
03-20-2010, 09:58
Been running 7 for quite a long time - 9 months, maybe? It's extremely stable and very fast.

It is a very worthy and worthwhile upgrade from XP - it's just a lot more modern overall. Things like connecting new devices; printers, etc. is easier & faster. Connecting to wireless networks is much faster & smoother.

People who are still stuck on XP just haven't given 7 a real good try.

Try it out and you'll like it.

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 14:46
...just curious about how stable it is and if it is as stable as XP....:popcorn:Yes it is very stable, if you liked XP you will love 7 BUT don't upgrade to 7 do a clean install.

kc8ykd
03-20-2010, 14:48
Yes it is very stable, if you liked XP you will love 7 BUT don't upgrade to 7 do a clean install.

the only way to go from xp to 7 is to do a clean install, there is no upgrade path.

RDW
03-20-2010, 14:49
Upgraded from VISTA 64 to Win 7 64. Except for the interface (learning curve) I don't see much of a difference. NEVER had a problem with VISTA.

slewfoot
03-20-2010, 14:50
Been running 7 for a couple of months now. No problems at all.

seanmac45
03-20-2010, 15:04
Yes yes clean install is the way to go. I forgot to mention that.

RDW
03-20-2010, 15:45
Yes it is very stable, if you liked XP you will love 7 BUT don't upgrade to 7 do a clean install.

Why? I installed over VISTA, and don't "think" I have any issues!?

kc8ykd
03-20-2010, 15:49
Why? I installed over VISTA, and don't "think" I have any issues!?

I've had the same experience going from vista x64 to 7 x64, no problem since i did the upgrade back in november. Although, I didn't have any issues with vista on that machine to begin with.

I also upgraded my laptop from xp to 7 x86 (it's a 64bit amd processor, but x64 drivers are severely lacking for the old hardware in it) about that same time. The laptop does just as well as xp did, if not a bit faster even.

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 18:27
the only way to go from xp to 7 is to do a clean install, there is no upgrade path.Sorry you're wrong, XP CAN be upgraded to Windows 7, instructions can be found all over the web. M$ even has a "How to" page ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

ERASER
03-20-2010, 18:29
My brother gave me a new Dell computer with Windows 7 (64 bit).

The File and Settings Transfer Wizard won't run at all and there are 2 updates that have been downloaded but which do not install properly.

My Microsoft keyboard, 2 Microsoft game controllers, my Intel web-cam, etc. are not compatible. I have no doubt that I'll find more incompatible software as well.

I just had to order a video card and 1 gig of RAM in order to play Borderlands because the on-board video/audio share the 3 gigs of RAM that it has (Borderlands requires a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM).

I wish I had kept my old computer with XP Pro on it. No issues. It was setup just the way I liked it and everything was where it is "supposed" to be (for an old guy like me, anyway).

seanmac45
03-20-2010, 18:30
The few I know who attempted to upgrade from XP to Win 7 had major issues and wound up doing a clean install. I'm sure it can be done, but maybe the clean slate is just easier.

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 18:32
Why? I installed over VISTA, and don't "think" I have any issues!?Neither have I but Windows 7 is huge improvement and it's less of a resource hog than Vista.

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 18:35
The few I know who attempted to upgrade from XP to Win 7 had major issues and wound up doing a clean install. I'm sure it can be done, but maybe the clean slate is just easier. A clean install is always better ...

kc8ykd
03-20-2010, 19:20
Sorry you're wrong, XP CAN be upgraded to Windows 7, instructions can be found all over the web. M$ even has a "How to" page ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

I wouldn't really consider it an 'upgrade' when it wipes your current install of windows and makes you re-install all your programs (step 5).

an upgrade would be going from windows vista to 7, where you don't have to reinstall everything and migrate your existing files to another storage device and back.

Steel Head
03-20-2010, 19:36
I've been runnin W 7 for about a month-I like it-Was runnin Vista

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 20:29
I wouldn't really consider it an 'upgrade' when it wipes your current install of windows and makes you re-install all your programs (step 5).

an upgrade would be going from windows vista to 7, where you don't have to reinstall everything and migrate your existing files to another storage device and back.

Actually if you do the custom install it doesn't wipe anything, all of the XP files are squirreled away in a folder called WINDOWS.OLD. In that folder you will find the Documents and Settings folders, Program Files folder and the Windows folders. Yes you have to reinstall all of your programs which is why I recommended a clean install in the first place and FWIW all this can be done with the upgrade version disc.

kc8ykd
03-20-2010, 21:46
Actually if you do the custom install it doesn't wipe anything, all of the XP files are squirreled away in a folder called WINDOWS.OLD. In that folder you will find the Documents and Settings folders, Program Files folder and the Windows folders. Yes you have to reinstall all of your programs which is why I recommended a clean install in the first place and FWIW all this can be done with the upgrade version disc.

the upgrade disc will reinstall your programs for you ?

'cause, that page you linked to said you needed to gather all your program disks before 'upgrading'

also, i should have used a different word than 'wipes' in my last post, i should have used something more like 'discards', instead of reusing some files like a vista/7 upgrade does.

sounds like, according to that page you linked to, that you might as well be blowing away your original disk partition since it asks you to move all your user files to another storage device (step 2) and then reinstall all your programs. not much of an 'upgrade' to me.

woodz
03-20-2010, 22:13
...sounds like I will stick to XP Pro for a little while longer.....I'm sure Win 7 is great but I'll kick back and see how things develop with over the course of the year. Thanks for all the input.

Sgt. Schultz
03-20-2010, 22:38
the upgrade disc will reinstall your programs for you ?

'cause, that page you linked to said you needed to gather all your program disks before 'upgrading'

also, i should have used a different word than 'wipes' in my last post, i should have used something more like 'discards', instead of reusing some files like a vista/7 upgrade does.

sounds like, according to that page you linked to, that you might as well be blowing away your original disk partition since it asks you to move all your user files to another storage device (step 2) and then reinstall all your programs. not much of an 'upgrade' to me.

I never said that the upgrade disc would reinstall anything, if you reread my post I agreed with you that "Yes you have to reinstall all of your programs" and I also agree that you'd be better off doing a clean install.

You originally said that "the only way to go from XP to 7 is to do a clean install, there is no upgrade path" and I pointed out that you can upgrade a XP installation. You can do so without deleting the partition or formatting the drive by doing a custom install. The upgrade process "discards" very little, it simply moves everything to a folder name windows.old ... again you are always better off doing a "clean" install.

I also agree with you that it's "not much of an 'upgrade'" but ...

W4CNG
03-20-2010, 23:08
Not on a bet. Service Pac 1 is not out yet. I have 3 machines running Windows 2 with XP and 1 with Vista. I have two other machines running MAC. These two MAC machines do not have issues and when one of the Windows machines dies, another MAC will replace it. I also have Office Mac on both machines for seamless issues with the Microsoft Winders Office Suite. It only cost $69 for 3 installs of all of the Winders Office Suite versions. Is there anything wrong with this picture???

kc8ykd
03-20-2010, 23:14
I never said that the upgrade disc would reinstall anything, if you reread my post I agreed with you that "Yes you have to reinstall all of your programs" and I also agree that you'd be better off doing a clean install.

You originally said that "the only way to go from XP to 7 is to do a clean install, there is no upgrade path" and I pointed out that you can upgrade a XP installation. You can do so without deleting the partition or formatting the drive by doing a custom install. The upgrade process "discards" very little, it simply moves everything to a folder name windows.old ... again you are always better off doing a "clean" install.

I also agree with you that it's "not much of an 'upgrade'" but ...

i would consider having to move all the user files and reinstallation of all the programs a clean install. Especially since the vista/7 upgrade doesn't require any of that, nor does it require different drivers or moving of user files.

also, i don't see the point of keeping the old windows directory and program files directory around if it's not going to be used. seems like it's just taking up space (this assumes all the user files have been migrated elsewhere).

that 'upgrade' utility is the same thing as if the user purchased a new computer and migrated their user files over to it.

perhaps, we're having a discrepancy on the interpretation of the word upgrade.

since to go from xp to 7 requires a clean install, even with the 'microsoft easy transfer'' utility, i would consider that to still be a clean install since the old windows version isn't reused (minus some user settings, and requires new drivers and program reinstallation.

upgrading from xp to windows 7 is more like upgrading one's house to another by moving vs. upgrading a house via heavy remodeling, like vista/7 path.

One last thing, xp users who are using fat32 on their install will need to reformat their install partition since 7 won't install on it (xp would tho).

CitizenOfDreams
03-21-2010, 00:09
Not on a bet. Service Pac 1 is not out yet.

Amen to that. The first major update seems to be the point where a new version of Windows either becomes usable (95 OSR2, XP), or spirals into the ground (98 SE, Vista).

Sgt. Schultz
03-21-2010, 07:20
i would consider having to move all the user files and reinstallation of all the programs a clean install. Especially since the vista/7 upgrade doesn't require any of that, nor does it require different drivers or moving of user files.

also, i don't see the point of keeping the old windows directory and program files directory around if it's not going to be used. seems like it's just taking up space (this assumes all the user files have been migrated elsewhere).

that 'upgrade' utility is the same thing as if the user purchased a new computer and migrated their user files over to it.

perhaps, we're having a discrepancy on the interpretation of the word upgrade.

since to go from xp to 7 requires a clean install, even with the 'microsoft easy transfer'' utility, i would consider that to still be a clean install since the old windows version isn't reused (minus some user settings, and requires new drivers and program reinstallation.

upgrading from xp to windows 7 is more like upgrading one's house to another by moving vs. upgrading a house via heavy remodeling, like vista/7 path.

One last thing, xp users who are using fat32 on their install will need to reformat their install partition since 7 won't install on it (xp would tho).

All valid points that I happen to AGREE with but I was only correcting YOUR miss-statement that there was no upgrade path available from XP to 7 when there clearly is one.

since to go from xp to 7 requires a clean install

even with the 'microsoft easy transfer'' utility

Maybe if you actually tried it you would understand it better ...

... you do not have to use a upgrade utility.
... you do not have to use the M$ transfer utility.
... you do not have to do a clean install.

... to do the upgrade you have to do a custom setup and not use the advance partition utilities and the only thing you need is the Windows 7 upgrade disc.

we're having a discrepancy on the interpretation of the word upgrade. Lets see I believe it means ... to replace a software program with a more recently released, enhanced version ... and whether you, I or any other user agrees with it that is exactly what you are able to do ...

g29andy
03-21-2010, 12:23
Running Win7 Ultimate 64bit on a Core i7 6GB RAM desktop, had a free upgrade to 7 from Vista as part of the PC purchase.

It's been stable ever since upgrade. Didn't have any problems with Vista 64bit either.

noway
03-21-2010, 17:48
Running windows7 at work. Seems as much as stable as XP for now. Wireless and Network adapaters sometimes see harder to manage tho.

No BSOD or crashes so far.

Lotiki
03-21-2010, 17:52
I installed windows 7 as a fresh install to replace XP on mine. About a week later my dated motherboard blew out. I went and got a totally new MB, quad core procc and vastly upgraded my ram. I used my old hard drive and video card and Windows7 booted up normally with no adjustments or installs needed for the new MB.... Been running stable as heel for about 3 days now.

Far out.

kc8ykd
03-21-2010, 19:17
All valid points that I happen to AGREE with but I was only correcting YOUR miss-statement that there was no upgrade path available from XP to 7 when there clearly is one.

Maybe if you actually tried it you would understand it better ...

... you do not have to use a upgrade utility.
... you do not have to use the M$ transfer utility.
... you do not have to do a clean install.

... to do the upgrade you have to do a custom setup and not use the advance partition utilities and the only thing you need is the Windows 7 upgrade disc.

Lets see I believe it means ... to replace a software program with a more recently released, enhanced version ... and whether you, I or any other user agrees with it that is exactly what you are able to do ...

I would consider the upgrade from xp to 7, an os replacement, since it requires a clean install.

Sure, you don't have to use the xfer util from microsoft, but either way, that user data has to be moved it it's to be retained and all the user programs have to be reinstalled.

I would consider the move from vista to 7 to be an upgrade, in the sense that the user files and programs don't need to be moved or reinstalled.

And, like i said earlier, I did do this with my laptop, went from xp to 7, which required reisntallation of all the programs and migration of all my user files. Much like installing a new disk, or buying a new machine.

This chart, from microsoft, shows that the 'custom' install is considered a clean install by microsoft and not an 'upgrade'.

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files/2009/08/windows-upgrade-chart.png

I guess at this point we're just arguing semantics since going from xp to 7 requires a clean installation of the os vs. a move from versions of vista to 7 which don't.

Also, i'm sure a fair number of people don't consider windows vista or 7 to be an 'upgrade' over xp, which, i can understand.

Pierre!
03-22-2010, 03:06
Windows 7 is very nice.

I also have been running it since Beta, and it's a winner with or without SP1.

Only gripe that I have is when you mix 64bit and 32bit printing can be an issue in a workgroup. Haven't setup AD just to test, but that is my next step.

Other than that, there have been minimal compatibility issues for me. Pretty much everything works.

Just Do It - Or wait... then Do It... :cool:

havensal
03-22-2010, 06:28
Win 7 = XP on steroids.
Been running it on 3 computers before release date
No problems, most stable yet.

+ a billion

Started on the Beta on my old laptop. Ran faster than XP. :shocked:

Bought a copy for my desktop, X64.

Bought a laptop with it also X64.

Business edition and ultimate has virtual machine with XP mode for running any old 16 bit software if necessary.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

:cool:

Dreaded Claymore
03-22-2010, 15:16
I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop. I had been running XP, and I did a clean install with my upgrade copy of Win7. I love it. It's far and away more stable and reliable than Vista, and nearly as reliable as XP. The few problems that it does have are merely due to the fact that it hasn't been out as long as XP has. As patches and service packs are released, it'll get even better.

hamster
03-29-2010, 13:06
As a mac user, I find Windows 7 great. Finally a windows version that doesn't make me want to rip my hair out.

I installed a fresh copy of win7 ultimate on my spare PC and have been enjoying it since. With Xmarks syncing my bookmarks and dropbox syncing my files, I move interchangeably between mac and pc.

The Windows 7 install was the least painless since it was the most "plug and play" of all the windows versions thus far.

inthefrey
03-30-2010, 09:47
Been running 7/64 for about 2 months now - no crashes, no lockups, runs just about everything.

No Problems

Leetuser
03-30-2010, 09:58
Been running Windows 7 x64 for about a month before it was released. 7 handles upgrades and driver installs pretty well. Only problem I had was when I blew out a motherboard and had to RMA it to the manufacturer, when i got the replacement, windows wouldn't boot, there was some problem with the boot manager or something. I had to boot to an install disk, then it fixed itself.

Honestly never really had a problem with vista either. It was just annoying with the folder options and stuff. Vista isn't too bad once you install all the updates and service packs. IMO

MavsX
03-30-2010, 12:49
has anybody noticed that Internet explorer 8 64 bit edition seems to run pretty dang fast? It's cool until you realize that you are running IE...then its like ah!!!! and you whip out the firefox

speaking of firefox....anybody have any 64 bit browsers out there to try? I know firefox has a private version or whatever..but i'm looking for an actual native 64 bit version.

I know there are lists of 64 bit browsers..but i want to hear from you guys..i want to hear about browsers that actually function.

TBO
03-30-2010, 13:35
http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/do-64-bit-web-browsers-perform-faster-than-32-bit-browsers/

Ralff
03-31-2010, 08:56
Been running it for a couple months on my laptop. 2.0GHz 1GB RAM, runs it great.