How bulged is too bulged? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How bulged is too bulged?

B__
03-19-2010, 21:08
I bought some used brass online. Most is fine but some has the "bulge" pretty bad. A couple pieces I have tossed. Some have had a little tiny half circle of brass swaged off during resizing. I use an aftermarket barrel for my Glock, always have so I have no experience with the "bulge" and am just wondering about others' experience.

_The_Shadow
03-20-2010, 15:17
You have to set your mind to toss those that have a ridge, while you could size it down the brass is already compromised. You can't afford to have a case head seperation or blow out. When in doubt...toss it out!

B__
03-20-2010, 17:39
That's what I ended up doing. I am going over the stuff that was sized as well and tossing out anything that looks like it was swaged much. Better to toss it out that destroy my gun or worse. The brass will only see very light loads so hopefully I am just worrying for nothing.

JimBobTX
03-21-2010, 11:19
Have y'all tried the Lee Bulge Buster? You completely press your brass through the resizing die from the bottom up and it catches it in a container at the top. They advertise it in all the gun and reloading magazines. Here's a link at Midway USA http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=882261

It's Lee catalog #: 90487 and it's $20 at Lee and $15 at Midway USA, but I don't know if it comes with the catch container.

It works just like this bullet sizer http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1269191659.205=/html/catalog/lubesize.html

But you press the brass through instead. I hope this helps...I'm ordering one tomorrow.

MakeMineA10mm
03-23-2010, 22:10
That will help iron out a reasonable bulge - especially if it's down just below where the sizing die reaches in a standard press.

HOWEVER, the advice above from The Shadow still applies - if the bulge has a pinch or ridge to it, that piece of brass is toast, regardless of what kind of bulge-sizing die you get.

(Redding or RCBS made the first one of those push-through dies for 40-cal smilies, and then Lee came up with their spin on it.)

B__
03-24-2010, 06:45
Some of the brass has been fired a few times. Is there any way for me to tell if they have been bulged in the past? I imagine there would be a noticable difference in the overall diameter of the casing from being swaged during resizing?

He shared his loads with me and his ''target" load was 7.5 grains Longshot behind a 180 FMJ. His hot load was "9.5g longshot 180gfmj at 1.26 oal". I don't use Longshot so I don't know if those are safe loads or what. He apparently used the hot load for a couple hundred casings but I could only pick out about 50 that were no good. I hope I am just worrying for nothing. If I didn't take the time to resize and prime them I would just toss them and not worry about it.

MSgt Dotson
03-29-2010, 05:51
My advice? Buy 500 pieces from Starline; you really don't want to be playing with brass fired an unknown number of times..; case head seps are not pretty.

an aftermrket bbl will also be a bit tighter, not allowing the brass to 'fireform out' the extra .002" in all directions as occurs with the factory bbl...

HOV
03-30-2010, 08:48
My advice? Buy 500 pieces from Starline; you really don't want to be playing with brass fired an unknown number of times..; case head seps are not pretty.

an aftermrket bbl will also be a bit tighter, not allowing the brass to 'fireform out' the extra .002" in all directions as occurs with the factory bbl...

Agree 100%.

I just ordered what I am going to consider a lifetime supply of Starline brass yesterday, as well as a KKM barrel. Between the two I think my brass will have a good lifespan.

I don't really care for the super hot loads...

hill billy
03-30-2010, 15:51
Agree 100%.

I just ordered what I am going to consider a lifetime supply of Starline brass yesterday, as well as a KKM barrel. Between the two I think my brass will have a good lifespan.

I don't really care for the super hot loads...

Solely out of idle curiosity, what do you consider a lifetime supply?

HOV
03-30-2010, 16:30
I don't shoot in competitions, I don't shoot 10mm solely, and one my next guns will be a S&W 610 which means 100% brass retention, so for me 1000 pieces is lifetime. Gives me about 1500 pieces total to work with.

hill billy
03-30-2010, 16:31
Man! I figure 1500 would keep me out of trouble for a year or two, maybe.

HOV
03-30-2010, 18:03
I'm a cheap date.

I may also be really off the mark.

Taterhead
03-30-2010, 20:21
I don't shoot in competitions, I don't shoot 10mm solely, and one my next guns will be a S&W 610 which means 100% brass retention, so for me 1000 pieces is lifetime. Gives me about 1500 pieces total to work with.

If don't run them too hot, you could get 15,000 rounds from this quantity of brass, maybe more.

MikeS.
04-28-2010, 11:48
There is a guy on THR that got 40+ reloads on a single .40 S&W case using middle of the road loads. I think you you'll get better than 10 reloads from a moderate 10mm load. I have with mine using W-231.

gator378
05-02-2010, 15:57
You have to set your mind to toss those that have a ridge, while you could size it down the brass is already compromised. You can't afford to have a case head seperation or blow out. When in doubt...toss it out!

+1 on tossing the bulge. Not worth a KABOOM !!!!!! I tossed a few until I got the aftermarket barrel.

gator378
05-02-2010, 16:02
There is a guy on THR that got 40+ reloads on a single .40 S&W case using middle of the road loads. I think you you'll get better than 10 reloads from a moderate 10mm load. I have with mine using W-231.

Damn brass gremlins get about 10% of my brass. Must be fast little varments. Never saw one, but the brass seems to disappear. A lot to say for the bolt action and sixgun when it comes to brass retention.

MakeMineA10mm
05-02-2010, 20:53
Solely out of idle curiosity, what do you consider a lifetime supply?

I've got a couple thousand factory-primed new Winchester 10mm Auto brass that is the old, heavy-wall/long web brass from the early production 10mm (before 40S&W came out and the webs were shortened), and these are preserved for serious loads.

For load development, I've got many hundred (probably close to 1000) new cases of various makes, including PMC, R-P, Midway, and Star-Line. When I'm working up a max load, and I'm getting close (within the last 5% or so), I try it in all the various brands, and then stop when one of those brands gives me my acceptable limit of expansion using Ken Water's measurement technique. I figure those brass will last me a life-time, because I don't develop a ton of new loads. I stick to about three or four bullet designs and weights and that's it. (I never go below 165grs nor above 200grs.)

For my range loads (medium-powered), I bought 10,000+ once-fired 10mm nickle-plated Federal brass from a guy who had purchased a govt. surplus brass auction which included the range brass from the FBI. About 10% of it has the MP-5/10 fluted-chamber burns, but the other 90% is from the S&W 1076es that the FBI issued for awhile. That brass will keep me loading 10mm for a long, long time. Nice thing about nickle-plate is that it's harder to lose in the green grass... :supergrin:

+1 on tossing the bulge. Not worth a KABOOM !!!!!! I tossed a few until I got the aftermarket barrel.

Indeed. The nice thing about having a life-time supply of brass is that you don't worry so much about losing a piece here or there or throwing out a smilie-faced piece from an "oops" loading moment.