OK, I'll play... need advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'll play... need advice

0reo
03-19-2010, 22:48
I'd like to go into business for myself. You know, be my own man and all that. I've just never been able to find that spark for a marketable product I'd like to sell. So I'm open to suggestions.

Further, I'd like some advice on what the first steps are to going into business for oneself. What's the first few things I should do?

hilljo
03-26-2010, 19:27
1. Make sure that there is a demand for what you do or make.
1a. A "demand" means that people other than you want/need your service or product.

Example: I like guns. I think it would be great to start a gunstore. So I rent a store and put my 6 pistols and assorted magazines and used holsters on the shelves. I sell some used brass and reloaded ammo. In a short time, I'll be bankrupt.

2. Make a business plan. Lots of guys are good mechanics, but horrible businessmen.

Think smart on this one before you do it.

Good luck man.

theGreenAggie
04-02-2010, 06:46
Know your enemy!!!!!!

(Know the market, that is. Inside and out!)

Consider finding a business partner or two - running a business by yourself can be impossibly time consuming (although it will still feel that way even with a partner). Also, if you can find a partner that has strengths where you are weak and vice versa it will be even better.

Don't underestimate social media and networking! Use leverage every single one of these services that you possibly can!

Good luck!