Sig 522 vs. GSG5 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 522 vs. GSG5

Never Nervous
03-20-2010, 16:15
I had the opportunity to hold (not shoot) these rifles in the past week. I like the GSG5 a lot, but the Sig felt better in my hand. If anyone has them or have put rounds through them, please provide your input.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

NN

raven11
03-20-2010, 17:12
i like the SIG magazines better, because you don't always have to go to SIG to buy them , i haven't fired the GSG rifle only the pistol version, i bought a cheap primary arms red dot to stick on top of the 522 and it a great combo
https://www.gilbertsguns.com/productimages/004684.medium.jpg
for the money i liked the SIG 522 better

Never Nervous
03-20-2010, 18:57
Thanks Raven11. Did you feel that the stock is a little short. I asked the guy if the stock was adjustable and he said yes. He took the gun a pushed it IN. I was thinking out a little more. +1 on the mags. They look cheap but when I looked close, they are made from sturdy plastic. Don't know how they would work. Do the make mags with steel lips for the 522?

raven11
03-20-2010, 21:20
Thanks Raven11. Did you feel that the stock is a little short. I asked the guy if the stock was adjustable and he said yes. He took the gun a pushed it IN. I was thinking out a little more. +1 on the mags. They look cheap but when I looked close, they are made from sturdy plastic. Don't know how they would work. Do the make mags with steel lips for the 522?
yes it should come with i think three adjustable buttpads and it does extend but it dosen't extend that much

https://www.sigpower.com/522/image1.jpg

https://www.sigpower.com/522/image7.jpg

at this time, all the magazines are plastic

scottMO
03-20-2010, 22:44
BDM just came out with a Billit magazine. Not cheap though.
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu280/blackdogmachine/DSC01729.jpg

BDM also makes a 50rd drum mag in .22lr that fits the Sig 522 very nicely...
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/images/products/display/DSC01377.jpg

I've shot both. I like the GSG but it looks/feels plasticy/cheap and I'm not a fan of the screws holding together 2 halves of the receiver. I really like the Sig 522's size/sturdyness and I think you will start to see alot of people SBR'ing the Sig 522 pistol to get a shorter over look/feel.

I'm buying a Sig 522...

scottMO

M2 Carbine
03-20-2010, 22:52
I have the GSG-5 rifle and pistol and the SIG rifle (also the S&W M&P 15-22).

I've put a good many rounds through both of them.

The GSG-5 is somewhat of a pain to clean. The SIG is a snap.

The Sig doesn't like Remington Wal Mark 550 bulk pack.
A few weeks ago friends ran over a thousand rounds of Federal through the gun as fast as the magazines could be loaded. Much of it rapid fire from the hip. The gun was very dirty and dry of lubrication but just kept on shooting.
I don't know if you noticed but the SIG stock folds to the side.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/KyleSIG.jpg

Both are decent guns. It probably comes down to which gun design you like better.

I favor the SIG because of having to pull screws to clean the GSG.

I think SIG is cheap for not supplying iron sights with the gun. Both the S&W and GSG have decent sights.

RUT
03-21-2010, 07:28
>>BDM just came out with a Billit magazine. Not cheap though.<<

Yeah...$65.00. Forget it!!

Never Nervous
03-21-2010, 11:58
Raven11 Thanks.

ScottMO Thanks for the drum mag tip. I will check it out.

M2 carbine I did notice the stock will fold. Do you shoot with the folded stock? When I looked at it, it seemed like the charging bolt would come close to the stock if fired in that position. But the did make it to fire that way I think. Bummer about the fixed sights no being there. That is not a deal breaker though. I found one for $449.00 + tax. I will get it Monday.

Thanks to all for the info.

NN

M2 Carbine
03-22-2010, 07:51
M2 carbine I did notice the stock will fold. Do you shoot with the folded stock? When I looked at it, it seemed like the charging bolt would come close to the stock if fired in that position. But the did make it to fire that way I think.
I don't normally fold the stock. The shooter (above) tried it out to see how it worked. The gun functioned fine but some of the ejected cases hit the top of the stock.

For people that like folding stocks that would be a nice added feature.

Right after I bought the gun BDM had a sale on 30 round magazines, so I bought 11.
I've thought about getting the 50 round mag but I go through ammo fast enough now. :)

When I bought mine a couple monts ago they were selling for close to $600. I found one dealer that had them for $449.

Flipz
03-22-2010, 09:26
Sig 522 beats the GSG-5 with out a dought. The Sig's construction is much more solid. Magazines are much more readily available from multiple websites. It will feed almost anything! Accuracy is better, and the trigger feels better even with a long pull. Even though the pull is long it has a pretty good reset. Ambi controls, and the list goes on.

BTW, Black Dog Machine is coming out with a glass filled nylon mag that will have metal feed lips. It will look exactly like their Gen 2 mags but will have metal feed lips.

Never Nervous
03-22-2010, 09:34
I appreciate all of the knowledgeable replies. I'm sold. Will get it today. Thanks.

NN

venenoindy
04-04-2010, 21:33
I just had a problem with my 522, my e clips that hold the guide rod fail at about 500 rds. called Sig and aperently the was problems with the set up that the first production rifles came out with, the send me the new parts but at this point I dont feel good about my rifle any more.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3580006302

M2 Carbine
04-05-2010, 06:57
First chance, I have to check my rifle. It sounds like the early rifles had a problem. I bought mine in December. I do have a lot of rounds through it. It sounds like if there is a problem it shows up early.

I just checked my e clips. The front one was OK but the back one was deformed and fell out. I'd better look for some spares.

I'd also E-mail Sig (unless you like waiting on hold for extended periods of time) and tell them you need some spare E-Clips and a couple of recoil springs. You might need them one day.
Anyone know SIG's e mail address? I can't find it on their web site.

ScrappyDoo
04-05-2010, 12:56
I'm interested in both of these, I can't decide... Any info and opinions is great , PMs you can just fire away.

I seem to be addicted to .22LR ... is that bad?

venenoindy
04-05-2010, 16:31
So far I have had the Colt, Sig 522 and M&P15-22. and for me the S&W is the best, easy to load, same set up as my AR's, uses same accesories as the AR platform, easy to clean, can all the others say the same?

Glocks&Ducs
04-07-2010, 21:15
First chance, I have to check my rifle. It sounds like the early rifles had a problem. I bought mine in December. I do have a lot of rounds through it. It sounds like if there is a problem it shows up early.

I just checked my e clips. The front one was OK but the back one was deformed and fell out. I'd better look for some spares.

Anyone know SIG's e mail address? I can't find it on their web site.

I don't know their e-mail address, but I just bought a 522 the other day, and it came with a tag that contained the following CS numbers. It says if you find a quality issue, call 888-285-3858. For customer service questions or to order parts and accessories, call 603-772-2302.

M2 Carbine
04-08-2010, 10:15

I checked in town yesterday. The 1/8 inch e clip is easy to find. Home Depot carries them but was out (32 cents for two).
I bought 5 at a auto parts store for 10 cents each. At that price you can change them out at the first sign of trouble.

First chance I'm going to contact SIG for the "upgrade kit"
I don't know their e-mail address, but I just bought a 522 the other day, and it came with a tag that contained the following CS numbers. It says if you find a quality issue, call 888-285-3858. For customer service questions or to order parts and accessories, call 603-772-2302.
Thanks.
Customer service is usually a 800 number but it appears SIG is a rather cheap company.
I don't like to wait on the phone but when it's on my dime I really get irritated.:supergrin:

Glocks&Ducs
04-08-2010, 10:17

Thanks.
Customer service is usually a 800 number but it appears SIG is a rather cheap company.
I don't like to wait on the phone but when it's on my dime I really get irritated.:supergrin:

What do you mean? Bad clips sound like a quality issue, that is an 888 number.

M2 Carbine
04-08-2010, 12:19
What do you mean? Bad clips sound like a quality issue, that is an 888 number.
I just used the 888 number. No problem.

It's a nice day. I have to get some chores done and go shoot the 522 and P238.:)

Flipz
04-08-2010, 15:18
There have been 2 revisions in the bolt/buffer design.

BOLT
Early 522's came with a bolt that has black coating on the outside of it. This bolt design has a cut out notch where the guide rod slips into and then is E-clip'd to the bolt. The newer bolt is all "silver" and has no black coating on the outside. It also does not have a notch where the guide rod attaches. Now it just has a solid hole for the guide rod to go through and then be E-clip'd to the bolt.

GUIDE ROD
The original guide rod has one end that is tapered. This made it very easy for the E-clip to fall off the end with the taper. The new guide rod has no taper and is the same thickness from end to end. This eliminates the possibility of the E-clip just falling off. The E-clips fit very securely to the new guide rod.

Please remember to make sure that the bolt is not locked back when field stripping the rifle. This was the cause of many people losing the E-clips. The bolt would be locked back and they would open the halves and the E-clip, buffer, and spring would shoot out.

If you have one of the earlier versions of either the Bolt (black coated version), or the guide rod (tapered version) just give Sig CS a call and they will send you replacement parts free of charge.

I hope this helped!

Chattanoogaphil
04-18-2010, 16:42
GSG shoots fine and reliable. It is horrible to clean and so is the Colt. IMO, the top picks for this style rifle are Sig522, Smith M&P 15-22 and Ruger SR22.

M&P strong points are light weight and it's an AR platform so you can change out with other AR triggers, stocks, grips....

Sig522 strong points are reliability (eats just about any ammo) and accuracy.

SR22 strong points.... well it's a 10-22... nuff said.

FLIPPER 348
04-19-2010, 23:21
If anyone has them or have put rounds through them, please provide your input.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

NN

........oops, thought the thread was S&W AR-22 vs GSG