Polishing feed ramp on PM9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Polishing feed ramp on PM9

750driver
03-21-2010, 07:59
I had about 3 FTFeed(Stovepipe) out of about 100 rounds. What's the best way to polish the feed ramp to prevent this on a PM9?

Cowart
03-21-2010, 10:29
Stovepipe jams usually involve the empty case not ejecting properly. Is that what you mean, or do you mean that the unfired cartridge is being caught in that position?

Wilson 2008
03-21-2010, 11:05
A simple way is to use an old t-shirt and some silver polish (or whatever metal polish you have around or find at Wally World). Just dab some polish on the shirt, rub it on the feed ramp and clean it off with fresh cotton. Repeat until it shines.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this has worked fine for me. Just make sure to clean it very well before re-assembling the gun. You don't want polish in there when you load and fire it!

- Wilson

Denied
03-21-2010, 13:18
keep shooting it will get better and you save all that work.

KCTanfoglio
04-02-2010, 19:10
Gun is new and tight. Spent casing is not getting pulled out completely enough to eject in time before the slide starts to close.

If you want to polish something, stick one of those felt dremel cones naked in the chamber on med speed for a little bit. They fit perfect in a 9mm chamber. That'll take care of it.

Liquid
04-03-2010, 18:10
i would shoot another 200 or so rounds.

wdo1575
04-03-2010, 18:12
bump!

Linux3
04-03-2010, 22:33
I use a green Scotchbright pad on feed ramps.

Any grocery store will have them.

user
04-04-2010, 04:51

Gun is new and tight. Spent casing is not getting pulled out completely enough to eject in time before the slide starts to close. ....

i would shoot another 200 or so rounds.

+!

There's a reason that Kahr says the gun should not be considered "reliable" until you've broken it in by firing at least two hundred rounds through it. The springs need to relax a bit and the moving parts need to wear together (like lapping new valves in a cylinder head).

targus
04-04-2010, 23:01

+1

I never needed to polish my PM9's feed ramp "on purpose". However, one thing I do with all new semi-autos before hitting the range for the first time is clean, lube....and rack the ever livin' snot out of it by hand using snap caps while watching TV or something. I probably rack about 150-200 snap caps through it. Then take it down, clean and lube again.

This helps mate in and smooth out the frame/slide/barrel interface and saves you time at the range, not to mention ammo cost. I figure if it will feed/eject snap caps reliably as fast as you can rack it by hand then you should have a pretty good first range outing. I have never been let down by doing this.

powernoodle
04-10-2010, 06:23
I polished the ramp on my PM9 and P9 with a dremel, felt bob and some compound. Turns it into a mirror. Don't know if it helps with reliability, but it can't hurt. My PM9 has never failed to go bang, btw.

Wilson 2008
04-10-2010, 07:10
Just to elaborate: I polished the feed ramp for the first time after about 1500 rounds. It made the feed ramp look nice. It did not improve function, which was already 100%.

The OP asked about polishing the feed ramp. It's not hard to do.

However, it will most likely not help a newer malfunctioning gun. That would be a separate thread about the likely cause of his stovepipes.

- Wilson

Glock3540
04-14-2010, 21:04
Hi Guys,
I'm going to polish the slide on my new PM9.
I've read that some of the barrels have had the nickel plating start to flake
off. You then send it to Kahr and they have been very good at replacing these
factory finish defective barrels.

My question is: Since these barrels are nickel plated, how would I go about polishing
the feed ramp? Would I not be removing the nickel plating in doing so?
Are the barrels stainless steel and also nickel plated?
I don't want to polish the feed ramp, then have some plating come off in the bore and then Kahr tell me they will not replace a defective barrel because I "modified" it.
Don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in polishing feed ramps. I did this to all my Glocks as well as many other of my pistols.

Thanks in advance for any replies....

Blessings,
Brian

BuckeyeBlast
04-18-2010, 20:00
My PM9 came with the most polished feed ramp I've ever had on a new gun. Is it really necessary? Sure it can't hurt, but has it actually improved function for anyone on a Kahr?

ripley16
04-18-2010, 20:27
Of all the things that make a gun reliable, a polished feed ramp is probably the least effective, especially on a gun with a nice ramp already. IMHO it is a plecebo, makes the owner feel better without actually accomplshing anything.

The one bad effect I can see happening with all this polishing going on is some over zealous guys ruining an otherwise nice barrel.