6.5 Creedmoor question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Creedmoor question...

82ndVet
03-22-2010, 11:08
Zak,

Just want to start off by saying I've been keeping up with your website almost since the start, and I'm very 'learned' by your various articles.

Thank you!

I hope your the right person to ask this question. Ever since you started your 6.5 articles, I've been very hungry to say the least. I'm wanting to build a competition rifle in 6.5 CM, and I'm looking at the Stiller actions (TAC30). My question is 1) In your opinion, is this a good action to build on? & 2) Will the TAC30 action with .308 bolt face accept the Creedmoor cartridge without any mods? In other words, when ordering an action, what do I need to tell them, based on my chosen cartridge? I hope that makes since...I'm still learning:) In your 6.5 shootout article (pg.4), you talk about the cartridge being a 'shoe-in' for any 308 action. So, I guess I'm just looking for some verification to that.

If you have any other opinions on a good action, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks

Zak Smith
03-23-2010, 11:21
Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I don't have any personal experience with the Stiller action, but they have a good reputation and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. There are a lot of good "specialty" actions on the market now; let me draw your attention to this one http://www.bighornarms.com/ Two of my shooting partners have been competing with .260's based on this action for a little over a year and we're pleased with them.

The Creedmoor has the same case head diameter as .308, so that bolt head should work fine.

I think the .260 gives you more options for brass, but the performance of the two should be a wash.

-z