Need Low Priced Alternative to Norton AV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Low Priced Alternative to Norton AV

daredwit
03-22-2010, 13:13
What are my options for free or low priced Anti-Virus software? Need an alternative to Norton

I have used Norton's subscription service for the past 3 years but it is continually getting more expensive as the price continues to go up every year. Can anyone suggest a free or reasonably priced Anti-Virus program that is just as good?

Thanks in Advance.

Dalton Wayne
03-22-2010, 13:30
AVG better then norton and free

stormcaller111
03-22-2010, 13:40
avast, ranked pretty high by most of the publications. use it on all my pc's as well as friend's pc's

IndyGunFreak
03-22-2010, 13:56
I have Avast and Avg on two different machines.

The newest version of Avast, is very slick.

That said, I don't have a problem with either one, and the price is right. :)

IGF

mitchshrader
03-22-2010, 14:00
If you're going to pay, Nod32 is the slickest, fastest, lightest footprint, program I know of. It seriously rocks. Otherwise, I'd pick Avast over AVG, on points, but both work.

Do I need to explain why doing a FULL BACKUP is necessary? Or that it matters a LOT that you do the backup BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL YOUR ANTI VIRUS PROGRAM.

repeat, BEFORE you install, FULL backup. it's a long way down, and a long climb back up the hill if your OS crashes, and it CAN happen to you.

RDW
03-22-2010, 14:20
Avast.

Dreaded Claymore
03-22-2010, 15:11
I recommend AVG Anti-Virus. It's thorough and powerful, and it won't slow your system way down. You can get the free version here (http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage).

TBO
03-22-2010, 16:32
If you're going to pay, Nod32 is the slickest, fastest, lightest footprint, program I know of. It seriously rocks. Otherwise, I'd pick Avast over AVG, on points, but both work.

Do I need to explain why doing a FULL BACKUP is necessary? Or that it matters a LOT that you do the backup BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL YOUR ANTI VIRUS PROGRAM.

repeat, BEFORE you install, FULL backup. it's a long way down, and a long climb back up the hill if your OS crashes, and it CAN happen to you.
:agree:

SteelLucky
03-22-2010, 16:40
Avast over AVG.

RTmarc
03-23-2010, 14:51
Microsoft Security Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/securityessentials

IndyGunFreak
03-23-2010, 15:50
microsoft security essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/securityessentials

lmao..

IndyGunFreak
03-23-2010, 15:51
:agree:

Yup, Nod32 seems to be about the best subscription anti-virus. Kaspersky used to be really good to, not sure how its faired the last few years though...

IGF

RTmarc
03-23-2010, 15:56
lmao..

You're kidding right? SE is built off of the ForeFront platform which is one of - if not - the best server security products available.

IndyGunFreak
03-23-2010, 15:59
You're kidding right? SE is built off of the ForeFront platform which is one of - if not - the best server security products available.

No, I'm not kidding at all..

IGF

RTmarc
03-23-2010, 16:03
You might want to looking into a bit further.

IndyGunFreak
03-23-2010, 16:16
You might want to looking into a bit further.

Naaa... It's got "Microsoft" in the name.... It won't be even halfway decent till around SP2-3.

IGF

TBO
03-23-2010, 16:19
Yup, Nod32 seems to be about the best subscription anti-virus. Kaspersky used to be really good to, not sure how its faired the last few years though...

IGF
Kaspersky had a great security suite (the best) until 2009. It became a resource hog (think of Norton back a number of years ago).

Pierre!
03-24-2010, 08:54
Personally I have given up on the "Suite" concept of system protection. They typically have to big of a footprint on the system and rob it of performance more than they protect it.

Vista gave us a very reasonable firewall, and Windows 7 continues to ge solid in that area.

I use the AV product to alert me should an intrusion attempt begin, and MalwareBytes to clean it up after it happens... I have AVG, Avast, and MS Security essentials running in FREE mode. Avira failed miserably FOR ME... might work for others, but it failed to update with any regularity.

I haven't had this issue with MS Security Essentials. It's caught 2 intrusion attempts and stopped em cold with zero issues.

I can say that I am pretty happy with AVG and MS Security Essentials. SpyBot and MalwareBytes scan on the weekends... and I run pretty clean most of the time...

HTH!

TBO
03-24-2010, 09:43
Personally I have given up on the "Suite" concept of system protection. They typically have to big of a footprint on the system and rob it of performance more than they protect it.

Vista gave us a very reasonable firewall, and Windows 7 continues to ge solid in that area.

I use the AV product to alert me should an intrusion attempt begin, and MalwareBytes to clean it up after it happens... I have AVG, Avast, and MS Security essentials running in FREE mode. Avira failed miserably FOR ME... might work for others, but it failed to update with any regularity.

I haven't had this issue with MS Security Essentials. It's caught 2 intrusion attempts and stopped em cold with zero issues.

I can say that I am pretty happy with AVG and MS Security Essentials. SpyBot and MalwareBytes scan on the weekends... and I run pretty clean most of the time...

HTH!
That's why I mentioned ESET Smart Security (Nod32 Antivirus), it's got great protection and a very light foot print (Anti-virus/Firewall/Antispam).

A good suite pulls less on your system than having all those things covered by software from different manufacturers.