So Is It Bad If My Computer Boots Directly To The HP Blue Screen? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So Is It Bad If My Computer Boots Directly To The HP Blue Screen?

wavetrain75
03-23-2010, 18:40
It's at least 10 years old, but it does everything I need it to (which isn't much). About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.

Then about a week ago a disgruntled 4 year old cut the mouse cable to prevent her brother from using it. She was in a fair amount of trouble but I have to abmit it was pretty funny.

When I found the computer it was off so I don't know the details of the shutdown. It now boots directly to the HP blue screen and just sits there. No startup screen or prompt to start in safe mode.

I'm guessing it's bad but I'm not willing to spend anything on a new computer, I'll do without unless there's a homeowner level fix for this one.

IndyGunFreak
03-23-2010, 19:00
It's at least 10 years old, but it does everything I need it to (which isn't much). About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.

Then about a week ago a disgruntled 4 year old cut the mouse cable to prevent her brother from using it. She was in a fair amount of trouble but I have to abmit it was pretty funny.

When I found the computer it was off so I don't know the details of the shutdown. It now boots directly to the HP blue screen and just sits there. No startup screen or prompt to start in safe mode.

I'm guessing it's bad but I'm not willing to spend anything on a new computer, I'll do without unless there's a homeowner level fix for this one.

Are you posting from it now... You said you would "do without", so I took it as that was your only PC...

Can you get into the BIOS? Usually either Delete, F1, or Esc right before that blue HP screen comes up. Do you know what model PC it is? There may be an error message behind that blue screen, but you can't see it because of the image(you should be able to disable the boot image in your bios)

IGF

wavetrain75
03-24-2010, 20:43
I have occasional access to another computer, mine is completely frozen in the HP blue screen (blue screen with the HP logo). When I attempt to reboot the blue screen comes up instantly, no other preceding screen, prompts or harddrive movement.

It's an HP 7548 Pentium III. Can't remember but I may have changed harddrives at one point.

greenLED
03-24-2010, 21:14
If you have the original Windows installation CD's (or backups from another computer's installations CD's), power your computer so it boots from the CD drive first (you'll need to enter the setup screen first - each brand has a special key: Esc, or F10, or F12, or... depends on brand/model).

Once the Windows installation process starts, you'll see an option to "repair". Choose that and follow the prompts.

As far as what it may have caused it... anything from faulty hardware (new, maybe?), corrupt drivers, bad hard drive, etc.

C.Lee
03-25-2010, 03:38
Sorry you are having problems. When the mouse cord was cut, it may have shorted out the ps2 or usb ports. I lost a mobo when the mouse cord was cut by the track of a desk drawer.

Swiper
03-25-2010, 18:23
About a year ago it started acting weird at shutdown - you had to unplug it for about 1/2 an hour before you could turn it on again. If you unplugged it and plugged it in (to the wall socket) right away it wouldn't power up.

Sounds like the motherboard to me. No easy fix. Unfortunately, it would be best to just replace it. I know that you don't want to spend the money but a Netbook for about $300 would be a good substitute.

But I'm certain that you could get a used 5-year old computer for free if you ask around. I have one of those in my garage I would donate to a needy friend.