Kahr CW9 Opinions Please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW9 Opinions Please

Greg Conn
03-24-2010, 17:04
Could you guys give me your opinions on the Kahr CW9 please...quality, dependability, concealability, etc.

Also, what is a fair price to pay for one NIB?
Thank you.

Regards,
-Greg

viniglock
03-24-2010, 17:56
Could you guys give me your opinions on the Kahr CW9 please...quality, dependability, concealability, etc.

Thank you.

Regards,
-Greg

All the above

sickboy013
03-24-2010, 18:37

Thank you.

Regards,
-Greg

I just recently purchased a CW9 to replace my G26. I couldn't be happier. It has been 100% reliable so far. I've gone through about 300 rounds. It conceals sooooo much better than a glock and is a lot more comfortable to wear and to hold. I still like glock, but this is a great gun! It's lighter and thinner than a g26.

The quality on it is great. The feed ramp has a nice polish on it (came that way). The fit is really tight when you first get it, but I sat and manually racked the slide over and over for a couple minutes and could feel it loosening up. I did that several times before taking it to the range.

I got mine NIB for $412.

3putter
03-24-2010, 19:59
Mine has over 3000 rounds now. After the break-in of 300 rounds it has been flawless. I love 1911's and have two expensive Wilsons but I carry the CW9 most of the time because it is so easy to carry and conceal. I carry Gold Dot 124 gr. Short Barrell and have utmost confidence in the gun and the ammo.

jbsglock29
03-24-2010, 20:47
I love my cw9. It has been flawless from day one.

Cowart
03-25-2010, 10:04
what is a fair price to pay for one NIB?$410 shipped at http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18442

BigBearCarolina
03-27-2010, 16:17
Can't add much. I have about 600-800 rds thru mine, and it hasn't missed a lick from day one. Comfortable to carry and shoot. Added a Qwikgrip grip sleeve and she was good to go. Paid $409.

chester
03-28-2010, 20:57
Excellent quality. Mine has been 100% reliable through 500 rounds of assorted low quality ammo. Current prices range from 409-469 when you can find one.

Greg Conn
03-29-2010, 06:36
I ended up buying the CW9. I got it for $405 NIB.

I was very satisfied with the price, and I now have a pistol that is much better for concealed carry than my G19, owing to its smaller size, weight, and thickness.

The Glock will be kept (loaded) in my pistol safe on the dresser as our home defense weapon.
The Kahr will be kept on me.

Regards,
-Greg

viniglock
03-29-2010, 12:13
I ended up buying the CW9. I got it for $405 NIB.

I was very satisfied with the price, and I now have a pistol that is much better for concealed carry than my G19, owing to its smaller size, weight, and thickness.

The Glock will be kept (loaded) in my pistol safe on the dresser as our home defense weapon.
The Kahr will be kept on me.

Regards,
-Greg
Pics or did not happen!

PlayboyPenguin
03-29-2010, 12:17
Here is a video I made discussing the Kahr CW9.

Kahr CW9 Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02ZrwKddxg)

The gun turned out to be uber-reliable at the range. Never a hiccup...not even during the break in period. It is also extremely accurate and easy to shoot if you master the long pull trigger. :)

viniglock
03-31-2010, 19:11
Here is a video I made discussing the Kahr CW9.

Kahr CW9 Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02ZrwKddxg)

The gun turned out to be uber-reliable at the range. Never a hiccup...not even during the break in period. It is also extremely accurate and easy to shoot if you master the long pull trigger. :)

Thanks for sharing, that it is a great video, when I saw the first time, and saw some of the pics, thought the were familiar.

mitchg233
04-04-2010, 09:54
I had problems with nosediving and the mag catch after the break in period. Kahr eventually resolved the problems after two trips back. Their customer service is helpful but doesn't seem very intuitive about their guns. I now own a K9 which is very nice and extremely reliable. I think Kahr's basic design is wonderful, and they have tried to adapt polymer and different calibers to it unsuccessfully in some cases.

triggerdoc
04-04-2010, 12:24
The only problem I've had out of my CW9 is dropping the mag. When I hit the mag release the mag will only drop about 1/2 inch and then I have to pull the mag out. I would rather it drop free. It's not a huge issue at the range, but if there is a SHTF issue then I will have to add a step between reloads and it makes me uncomfortable. I intend to see where it is hanging up and remedy the problem when I have a chance, but for now I carry the K40 off duty and the wife carries the Kahr E9.

Greg Conn
11-13-2010, 18:29
Pics or did not happen!

Vini, I only recently came back to this thread after I purchased my Kahr, or I would have answered your little comment sooner.
I'm not in the habit of lying.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/WardCleaver_photos/011.jpg

FLSlim
11-14-2010, 09:02
Greg, I think you'll be happy with the CW9-a dream to carry-and your price was good. Mine is about 2 yrs old and I haven't had any problems, although I was a little concerned with wear (scalloping) on the poly rails. Checked with the mfg on that and they said it was normal break-in wear. I've decided to go to a larger cal for carry, but nothing wrong with weapon itself.

glockess56
11-14-2010, 09:43
I love my CW9 and I bought it at a reasonable price, considering what most other Kahrs sell for. I want to carry my G26, but it bulky and I find hard to conceal. I'm always looking for a holster for it. My car is light, and conceals wonderfully. It's light and shoots accurate. I going to put a Crimson Trace on it one of these days, or night sights. I bought it used, but never a hiccup so far.

rogerthedodger
11-16-2010, 05:14
I prefer my CW9 over my Glocks. The grip is better in my hand. I also put a CT laser guard on it.
Get a CW9, you won't be dissappointed.

greco2009
11-16-2010, 23:42
I spend part of the year in Florida. I used to carry a Sig225 and Glock 19, but they are way too big. I bought a CW9 to carry there mostly because I run around in shorts and sport shirt. It was still a little long for carry in a pocket holster, (the bottom of the grip would hang up in my pocket). I shortened the grip so it now takes the 6 round MK9 mags. It is now near perfect. It draws and shoots like a dream. I leave it down there for a house and carry gun for what ever family member is at the house. It has several hundred rounds thru it without a bobble. One of the fellows on one of the sites has one with about 20,000 rounds thru it. I'm happy with it.:cool::cool::cool:

jhertzler
11-17-2010, 17:31
All good. It's thin and light. Flawless reliability. I have a Don Hume holster and a Hogue Handall Jr. on it which makes for a comfortable grip. Soft shooter, too, reducing my "flinch factor," so I can shoot it fairly accurately. Fit and finish are great too. Go for it.

Durden
11-29-2010, 23:17
Flawless.

I was a total skeptic reading some of the things I did.

I've literally torture tested mine by TRYING to get it to malfunction, and I can't.

I've shot 7 kinds of ammo, limp wristed it, sling shotted the slide chambering the 1st round, ran it extremely wet, ran it extremely dry, fired it with no magazine inserted, used 7 and 8 round magazines, taken it from intentionally preventing it to go into full battery to bumping it into full battery with my palm - I can't get it to malfunction.

I see no scoring, peening, pitting, signs of uneven wear, or any other problems.

I plan on another 300 round range session tomorrow assuming my ammo comes in.

I am now a convert. It's the perfect size for concealed carry, IWB/OWB. It eats any hollow points I've fed it, including 124 grain Speer Gold Dots, with no problem.

If I don't get any issues in the next 500 rounds or so, I will have the nighties put on it, order a few extra magazines, and it will become my EDC.

I've honestly run out of good things to say about this weapon.

By the way, before I fired it, I read about how it is not a range gun because of recoil and aggressive checkering on the backstrap.

Both of these are absolute non-issues for me. It's actually enjoyable to shoot.

Durden
11-29-2010, 23:45
All good. It's thin and light. Flawless reliability. I have a Don Hume holster and a Hogue Handall Jr. on it which makes for a comfortable grip. Soft shooter, too, reducing my "flinch factor," so I can shoot it fairly accurately. Fit and finish are great too. Go for it.

jh, which Don Hume did you go with?

I really want the thinnest and lightest possible in keeping consistent with the very thin profile of this weapon, but I want leather also, with good protection over the trigger/trigger guard.

One handed draw and a thumb snap are not that important to me, but I would prefer some 'cant' to the holster (maybe 10 to 15 degrees).

Thanks for any suggestions.

chester
11-30-2010, 08:56

I really want the thinnest and lightest possible in keeping consistent with the very thin profile of this weapon, but I want leather also, with good protection over the trigger/trigger guard.

One handed draw and a thumb snap are not that important to me, but I would prefer some 'cant' to the holster (maybe 10 to 15 degrees).

Thanks for any suggestions.I have the high noon split decision for my cw9. They also make a similar version with a forward can't. Inexpensive and well made. H

Durden
11-30-2010, 11:08
I have the high noon split decision for my cw9. They also make a similar version with a forward can't. Inexpensive and well made. H

Chester - much obliged.

That one was at the top of my list, believe it or not, as was the High Noon Hidden Ally.

I really appreciate the info. I do think I will order the Split Decision.

jhertzler
11-30-2010, 11:11
Hey, Durden. I chose the JIT Slide Don Hume Holster. It has little or no cant but holds the gun really close, looks good, etc. jrh

Thanks for any suggestions.

Durden
12-01-2010, 11:20
Hey, Durden. I chose the JIT Slide Don Hume Holster. It has little or no cant but holds the gun really close, looks good, etc. jrh

jh, I also had looked at that, but I am not wanting a dedicated belt slide holster. I wish that had a large waistband clip.

Thanks.

jpshaw
01-26-2011, 09:30
I've been carrying the P9 since 2002. That's probably about when the P series started out. I can truthfully say that the only reason I did not buy the CW9 at the time was that they were not available then. If I was to do it over again at this time I would just get the CW9.

TLHelmer
01-29-2011, 05:49
Vini, I only recently came back to this thread after I purchased my Kahr, or I would have answered your little comment sooner.
I'm not in the habit of lying.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/WardCleaver_photos/011.jpg

Don't take it personally! I think he just wanted to see a picture of your gun.:dunno:

TLHelmer
01-29-2011, 05:54
On a side note, the sizes of those two guns look very similar. What are your impressions of the two in terms of weight and dimensions?

Vigilant
01-29-2011, 09:14
On a side note, the sizes of those two guns look very similar. What are your impressions of the two in terms of weight and dimensions?

I will offer a similar comparison. I have a P9 and a CW9, and just sold my last G19. Simply put, I can easily carry a P9 or CW9 in a Nemesis holster in my right front pocket all day, and have never been made for it. No way with a G19. Same story as usual: Trade-offs. The G19 definitely has its place. As do the polymer Kahrs.

Glocklvr
01-29-2011, 09:21
I love my CW9, it's light weight and thin profile make it perfect for deep concealment. I work in an office enviroment and am completely compfortable with my Kahr in a DeSantis IWB holster ordered from Kahr. I have had zero malfunctions, and the dbl action trigger is as smooth as glass. I carry CorBon 115gr+P loads which chronographed@ 1306fps from my Kahr. The drop free problem posted earlier is a problem that Kahr will correct. Call the cust service# and get an authorization# and send it to them to have the problem corrected. I paid $449 NIB and consider it to be one of the better purchases I've made. Great Gun Enjoy and carry with confidence.

Vigilant
01-29-2011, 18:38
I should probably expand just a bit on my previous post. I didn't see the need for a CCW permit until a little over 5 years ago. I started out CCWing a G22 in a FIST tuckable IWB holster. Worked really well in that regard, and it was never noticed. Went to a G19 next, for the slightly more compact size, plus the same round capacity, without much loss in effectiveness IMO. But it was still a pain in the butt in some ways. Pocket carry just seemed to work best for me. Long story. Went to a Kel Tec P11, which worked after a fashion. Tried a Taurus Slim, and then found discount pricing on Kahrs which made them very affordable for me. More capacity would be nice, but an extra mag can alleviate that need.

Others may see it differently, but until Glock comes out with a single stack 9MM, I believe the P9 or CW9 suit my needs the best. YMMV.

BTW, I paid $372 shipped for my CW9, and $516 shipped for my P9 with black finish, both from Bud's Police Supply. $20.00 FFL transfer fee on each, and I was done.

TLHelmer
01-30-2011, 06:30
I will offer a similar comparison. I have a P9 and a CW9, and just sold my last G19. Simply put, I can easily carry a P9 or CW9 in a Nemesis holster in my right front pocket all day, and have never been made for it. No way with a G19. Same story as usual: Trade-offs. The G19 definitely has its place. As do the polymer Kahrs.

Thanks for your response! I was curious and the picture comparison made it appear that there wasn't much of a difference between the two.

I have this strange affliction that causes me to constantly look for a better handgun to carry.

jpshaw
01-31-2011, 05:46
I was curious and the picture comparison made it appear that there wasn't much of a difference between the two.

A profile pic doesn't show the main difference. The feel and thinner slide and much thinner grip are the main difference to me. My little P9 just seems to be totally unnoticed by me in its little gutted Uncle Mikes (just two thin strips of nylon now) holster worn OTB. If I could only find that same holster a little bit higher up so the gun never protruded below the belt I would be much happier.

Vigilant
01-31-2011, 17:24
Thanks for your response! I was curious and the picture comparison made it appear that there wasn't much of a difference between the two.

I have this strange affliction that causes me to constantly look for a better handgun to carry.

I'm a bit lower on the food chain than you. We fight the same fight from opposite sides of the fence. The P9 is the best option I have found. 7 rounds of 124 gr. +P Gold Dot, in a very compact package. Even with hands as big as mine, I can get all three fingers around the grip, just barely, but comfortably. Fits comfortably in my front pocket in a Nemesis for a Kel Tec P11. I take it out discretly, holster and all, when I climb in the vehicle to drive, so it's still readily available, and it goes back in the pocket when I exit.

Here's whatcha need right here:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2_21/products_id/24

They are about $80 less with standard sights, $30 more with the blackened finish. With Bud's dicsount, they are just too nice to pass up IMO.

TLHelmer
02-08-2011, 18:09
Thanks for your response!

Durden
02-11-2011, 21:45

I know you were asking TL, but if I may, it's night and day, and I'm a big fan of the G19, too.

In fact, there's not really a comparison. Carrying the Kahr CW9 and contrasting it with the G19 feels like the G19 is twice as large, to me, at least (even though it's obviously not).

Durden
02-11-2011, 21:47
I should probably expand just a bit on my previous post. I didn't see the need for a CCW permit until a little over 5 years ago. I started out CCWing a G22 in a FIST tuckable IWB holster. Worked really well in that regard, and it was never noticed. Went to a G19 next, for the slightly more compact size, plus the same round capacity, without much loss in effectiveness IMO. But it was still a pain in the butt in some ways. Pocket carry just seemed to work best for me. Long story. Went to a Kel Tec P11, which worked after a fashion. Tried a Taurus Slim, and then found discount pricing on Kahrs which made them very affordable for me. More capacity would be nice, but an extra mag can alleviate that need.

Speaking of which, has anyone had any problems with the 8 round vs the 7 round Kahr factory mag in their P9 or CW9?

I'm about to order an extra mag for my CW9 and don't know which route to go.

Thanks.