Any Pics of an 870 with a Heat Shield? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Pics of an 870 with a Heat Shield?

Nalapombu
03-25-2010, 05:09
Hey all,

I'd like to see some pics of some Remmy 870's that have Heat Shields. If you have any, how about posting them?

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr

KalashniKEV
03-26-2010, 07:16
Hey all,

I'd like to see some pics of some Remmy 870's that have Heat Shields. If you have any, how about posting them?

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr

I don't think the military version of the 870 had a heat shield. I was issued a Winchester 1300 in OIF-IV and that whack ass cheesegrater was the first thing to go... who pops off enough 12 Ga. to get the barrel that hot and then actually burns their hand on it?

And isn't a pump gun the least likely gun in the world for your support hand to not be on the forend?

Don't want to hijack, so here's a pic for you:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/870HC-1.jpg

USMC03Grunt
03-26-2010, 16:17
Second one down:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q236/USMCGruntUSAFCATM/Firearms/Shotguns/DCP_1912.jpg

As far as who shoots enough to heat up a shotgun barrel? How about farmers that need to shoot blackbirds in their sunflower fields? Wanna guess how I can think of that off the top of my head so fast?:whistling:

method
03-27-2010, 11:42
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5320/dscn0670vd5.jpg

aippi
03-27-2010, 14:03
the heat shield was not put on shotguns for the rare time when you might touch the barrel. It was put on military shotguns that had a bayonet attachment because to used the bayonet in combat you have to wrap your hand around the barrel of the weapon. This is why the wood stocks on Military rifles would go out the end of the weapon and there was wooden hand guards on top of the barrel.

So to have this useless chunk of metal on a modern shotgun does nothing but add weight, puts one more Tacti-fool hunk of junk on it for Mr. Murphy to mess with and waste money that could have been spent on ammo.

USMC03Grunt
03-27-2010, 17:03
Probably have never had birds so thick in the crops that you fire through 50 rounds or better as fast as you can load and shoot I suppose, eh?:upeyes: When you get to that level of lead going down range, hot barrels are very much a problem both from handling the gun to finding a place to put it in the truck to go home for more shells that won't burn holes in the seat or burn your hand trying to put it in the back window rack. Those times, sir, are the times you are damn glad you have something over that hot barrel to prevent burns to your person or property. You may see them as useless but I have found them to be worth their weight and have no problems with using them.

Z71bill
03-28-2010, 18:59
Probably have never had birds so thick in the crops that you fire through 50 rounds or better as fast as you can load and shoot I suppose, eh?:upeyes: When you get to that level of lead going down range, hot barrels are very much a problem both from handling the gun to finding a place to put it in the truck to go home for more shells that won't burn holes in the seat or burn your hand trying to put it in the back window rack. Those times, sir, are the times you are damn glad you have something over that hot barrel to prevent burns to your person or property. You may see them as useless but I have found them to be worth their weight and have no problems with using them.

Are you saying that when you shoot 50 rounds as fast as you can the heat shield stays cool to the touch?

I have only handled a couple guns with them - do not own one myself - but I seem to recall the heat shield getting pretty darn hot - :dunno:

If I need to shoot that much I am going to go get my AK. :supergrin:

method
03-28-2010, 19:35
Plastic shields definitely don't get hot.

Whether or not I need a heat shield on my gun or not, and really I don't, I like them. I like the way they look, and I like that I can grab ahold around the barrel for carrying or picking the gun up, and not leave prints (think corrosion) on the metal. Added weight? Two whole ounces at best, big deal. Causing a malfunction? How?

USMC03Grunt
03-29-2010, 13:44
Cool to the touch, no. Cooler than the barrel, oh hell yes! When I was in high school years ago, we used to have black bird hunting parties with a few buddies of mine. In our fields, the neighbors, along the side of the road, it didn't matter, you see a flock of blackbirds and crackles, you unload on them with the intent to cripple as many of them as you can. A wounded bird makes a lot of noise and tends to keep the rest of the flock away...until the coyotes come in to eat them.:supergrin: I had heat shields on mine while a few buddies of mine didn't and you can tell a pretty big difference in the heat levels as to what part you can touch and for how long. One of my friends managed to melt the vinyl seat on his dad's truck when a hot barrel was laid on it a little too long. Another thing about heat shields is that while they do heat up a bit as well, it's more surface area that allows the heat that does build up to radiate away from the barrel faster as well. Is it a perfect system? Probably not but for heavy volumes of shooting, I'd rather have one than now.