Most commom failures on shotguns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most commom failures on shotguns?

drider
03-25-2010, 22:30
Ttttttt

aippi
03-26-2010, 01:12
number one most common failure is Operator error. Learn to load under stress, operate the weapon as it is designed and hit your intended target. Master these and that 870 will perform as designed without error. Also, keep it clean. Change the mag tube sping every couple years and the carrier dog follower spring also. Don't go putting a bunch of Tacti-fool mess on it either.

There are thousands of 60 year old 870's still in service.

RedHaze
03-26-2010, 01:50
Operator error. Thing I most often see is people not racking the shotgun like a man, and short stroking it.

They aren't girly sissy flower puff guns, manipulate the weapon like you got a pair.

Most of all, enjoy!

Syclone538
03-26-2010, 03:24
Though I wouldn't say it is common, I've heard of 870s not being able to eject some kinds of cheap shells when the gun gets hot. It happened to a friend of a friend, and I've seen a couple threads about it here. It wouldn't hurt to go trap shooting or something.

dorkweed
03-26-2010, 06:17

David Armstrong
03-26-2010, 08:51
Most common failure? Failing to learn how to shoot the darned thing. Way too many people think "I know how to shoot a rifle so I already know the shotgun." Knowing the rifle no more makes a shotgun shooter than knowing the rifle makes a handgun shooter. That is probably the source of most of the operator error mentioned above. And as aippi said, putting all this so-called tactical gear on the shotgun does more to hurt than to help.

mixflip
03-26-2010, 11:41
1. Short stroke. Shooter is not experienced with pump actions. Not the guns fault.

2. failure to eject. Some of the new Remingtons had some kind of issue with ejectors. They should have put double ejectors like a Mossberg lol. (I just threw that in there because I know somebody will eventually)

3. failure to feed because of too many gadgets clamped on the mag tube. And some folks thing they dont need to clean a shotgun as much? Yeah you may not need to clean it as much but you sure do still need to oil the moving parts.

MJB
03-27-2010, 17:00
In my experience the most common failure is leaving the safety on.

I've done this hunting and shooting sporting clays.

I think I better stick to the Glock for defensive purposes.

CAcop
03-28-2010, 12:00
I terms of parts the mag spring can get weak enough to make it a little more jam likely if you don't run it right.

bsg1
03-28-2010, 13:37
i am well versed with my handguns. shotguns are a different breed and "simple" can be deceiving, as in all matters of life.... i have eaten plenty of hamburgers but it's a little different flipping them, no? i just popped for a remington 870P and altering one is much different than shooting one. thanks to the extensive feedback i have gotten from aippi i realize things are never as simple as intended.... so my advice is to really get to know your shotgun, and yes... get some training. bye the way, congratulations on getting your 870.

-Brady-

drider
03-28-2010, 15:40
Thanks all very informative comments, oh yah love my 870.

GlockPride
03-28-2010, 16:07
Some of the newer mag followers tend to get beat up and scratched and start causing feedin issues. Replace with the stainless one.

FM12
03-29-2010, 18:41
#1= the jerk behind the trigger!

NEtracker
03-30-2010, 09:23
The 870 is certainly a solid platform, and I still have one, for teaching.

Perhaps not common, but after years of heavy use, we had a club member on the trap singles field with a jammed up trigger group. We took that apart, and found that the end of a crimped over roll pin had broken off, yielding a piece resembling a rough washer, and that jammed everything up.

Of course, any shotgun can develop worn parts over time and use.......

frankr
04-01-2010, 15:25
The person pulling the trigger.

Eagles1181
04-02-2010, 11:49
Only problem I have had with my 870 is some cheap Winchester bird shot shells getting sticking in the chamber. I had to lower the gun from my shoulder and really put some effort into racking the gun, but that is the only problem I have had. Changed brands and have not had a problem since.

Eagle

TxGun
04-02-2010, 20:28
"Most commom failures on shotguns?"

Cockpit.

K.Kiser
04-03-2010, 10:54
My Family has had 870's My entire life and many of those guns are older than I am... The only malfunctions that I've seen is on My 20 gauge that has had the tip of a spent shell get caught on the ejector port, 3 times since the gun was bought in 1983 and this was while skeet shooting... I know of two different 870's that have been dropped into about 6' of water while duck hunting and left there on the bottom till warm swimming weather which is about May for us in Louisiana... After 6 months submerged in freshwater the shotguns were recovered, thouroughly cleaned and still function... They sure don't look as well as they did before they took the plunge, but will still shoot... If a life threatening situation occurs at My home and I grab My 870, the thought of malfunction isn't going to enter My mind... I pull trigger, it goes boom... Rack the slide, it goes boom again...

Edmo01
04-05-2010, 07:06
My Mossy short barrel 500 with the "Marine Cote" finish had the pin break on the right extractor. Even with the broken pin, the right extractor continued to function.

Just to see, I pulled the right extractor out and yes it still functioned with only the left extractor remaining in the bolt. MidwayUSA had the pin for less than $5 and it's all good now...

I run this gun (and all of my guns) with a good coat of 20W50 Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil on all moving parts. This oil is thick, slick, and I've usually have an ample supply in the garage since it goes in the Harleys. My 1911 really likes it.

Edmo

vafish
04-06-2010, 07:00
This oil is thick, slick, and I've usually have an ample supply in the garage since it goes in the Harleys.

So you just mop it up off the floor from under your Harley and use it in your guns?

:rofl:
Sorry couldn't resist. I use the automotive Mobile 1 in my cars and guns. Works great in both.

DaGroaner
04-06-2010, 11:34
I've had the ejector springs break on two 870s that I used to shoot trap with. I bought them both at around the same time so I suppose it could have been a bad batch or something but they did break. Their warranty service was excellent.