New motherboard in laptop will not power on [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard in laptop will not power on

unit 900
03-26-2010, 08:03
I ordered and received a refurbished (guaranteed) motherboard for a Dell Latitude laptop from an auction site. The laptop would not stay powered on. It would die on trying to power up, but sometimes would be OK if the power adapter plug was jiggled just so. Assuming the power source was on the motherboard, I bid and won one for the Dell. I installed it yesterday with a friend who has done many like this. The laptop began to boot and got as far as the Windows (XP) splash screen and froze. Subsequent attempts will have the LED light come on for 2 seconds and then die. It will not power on. I would like to make this work. Am I missing something? Is the power supply on the motherboard? I tried 2 different AC adapters that work with another Dell with no difference. Any help is appreciated

filthy infidel
03-27-2010, 07:12
Pull the battery pack,plug in and retry.

Linux3
03-27-2010, 07:15
I ordered and received a refurbished (guaranteed) motherboard for a Dell Latitude laptop from an auction site. The laptop would not stay powered on.
I had a Dell Latitude D630 that died under warranty. Because I didn't want to wait and I have experience working on laptops I had Dell send me a new motherboard planning to install it myself.
When it came it was labeled as a refurbished. It was worse than my old MB. I called Dell back and they sent a tech to my work location to replace the replacement. The Tech actually worked for Unisys under contract to Dell. He brought a new MB and said me never accepts a refurbished board from Dell because too many of them are bad.
Sorry, I know this doesn't help you but I think your problem is not uncommon. Did you try contacting Dell about the refurb MB? Their customer support, in my experience, is actually rather good for the business line of computers which the Latitude is.

Toyman
03-27-2010, 11:24
if it started up but is now dead, it's dead.