Is this problem normal with new G-19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is this problem normal with new G-19

wingwlkr
03-26-2010, 19:55
Shot my new G-19 yesterday, and loved it. I'm a long time shooter, but have never shot a Glock before. What a nice gun.

However I did have a problem with fail to feed using Winchester White Box 115 gr JHP's. Had 3 FTF's in first 5 rounds, then two more on second full mag. Switched to Blazer 115 gr FMJ's and didn't have trouble with the next two mags. Didn't have time to shoot any more.

Just wondering if this is normal, since it's the first time this gun has ever been fired, or if it may be the ammo. Like I said, I'm a long time shooter, so I don't think it's a limp wristing issue.

I've always heard how you take a Glock out of the box and it goes bang, from the first round and keeps on doing that from then on.

If there is a break-in period, that's OK with me, because my Kahr PM9, Ruger LCP both require that, I'm just curious if what I experienced is normal, of if I should be concerned.

Not down on Glocks or anything, just ignorant of what to expect.

Thanks,
Ed

JR
03-28-2010, 20:49
I have seen this very issue with every Glock model (9mm), it is not unique to the G19 series. I am convinced it has more to do with the modern loads and powders used than anything else. The 115 gr ammo is adequate at best but prone to failure because it does not hold pressure long enough to generate good positive ejection. If you change your loads to 124 or 147 gr ammunition you will not have a problem.

If you want to try 115 gr ammo (again) I highly recommend you first pick up a box of +P or +P+ and run a mag or so through it. Go back and try the 115 again. If it fails again, restrict the use of 115 to plinking or range only.

wingwlkr
03-28-2010, 22:30
Thanks JR, I'll try that.

I made the first post in this thread, but it didn't show up on the forum, or at least I couldn't find it. So I then re-posted with a new thread asking the same question. That time I was able to find my thread to read. Got quite a few good replies.

Since I'm new to this board, and don't know how to use it yet, I guess it's something I did wrong or I somehow looked in the wrong place. Didn't mean to keep re-posting the same question. Sorry.

Ed

JR
03-29-2010, 12:08
This GATE section is completely different. You can “submit” a question. Once I review your question and determine it fits into this category “Glock Pistols” I will respond and you will see the question & response. If your question does not fit this section I respond privately.