recoil spring doesn't stay seated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : recoil spring doesn't stay seated

UnderFire
03-27-2010, 13:06
I have a gen 3 19 with about 500 rounds through it. I cleaned the weapon a few days ago, just picked it up to do some dry fire practice. I noticed the barrel wiggled more then it should and field stripped it to find the recoil spring seated on the 2nd level not the lowest. I pushed it back into the lower seat, cycled the slide a few times, stripped it and it was back in the 2nd level.

What could the problem be?

JohnKSa
03-27-2010, 18:41
There is no problem. That is normal. The upper notch is an assembly position. The first time you cycle the slide the end of the recoil spring guide drops down to the normal position where it belongs for operation.

It is unlikely that your barrel is wiggling more than it should. Such a thing would be indicative of severe wear or the failure of a major component. I don't think that the barrel play would be the first indication of such a significant problem.

bisdak
03-27-2010, 23:22
That happens sometimes when I dry fire. Normal.

Wild Gene
03-28-2010, 09:54
There is no problem. That is normal. The upper notch is an assembly position. The first time you cycle the slide the end of the recoil spring guide drops down to the normal position where it belongs for operation.

It is unlikely that your barrel is wiggling more than it should. Such a thing would be indicative of severe wear or the failure of a major component. I don't think that the barrel play would be the first indication of such a significant problem.

My observations and totally on the first part, and what I have been led to believe too.

I do not know about the barrel wiggle. Mine really do not move. It may be improperly fitted, but 500 rounds should not cause that much wear. I think the tendancy is to under clean and over lube Glocks. Hit the rails, the locking lugs, and the barrel where it meets the end of the slide, plus a drop into the connector.

Does the barrel actually wiggle, or do you hear something when you shake it? You will hear the striker sliding if the pistol is not cocked and locked. Where does your barrel actually wiggle?

Take care,