Buffalo Bore Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore Question

07 LMB Z06
03-27-2010, 13:52
I bought a box of 180 gr Buffalo Bore JHP's about a month or two ago.

Now I have been reading that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are using Montana Gold bullets instead of Gold Dots in some of their setups. I don't know much about any of this, but the consensus seems to be that the Montana Golds are a step down.

My question is, if my box of Buffalo Bore JHP's still says "Gold Dot" on it did I get lucky and get a box of the better bullets? When looking at pictures of the Montana Gold bullets online they look identical to the Buffalo Bores I received. Did Buffalo Bore just not change the writing on the box?

If they're the Montana Gold I will probably just shoot off the last 15 I have (they are A LOT of fun to shoot), and just use the Double Tap Bonded Defense for home defense.

Edit: Link to thread with picture of the box I received.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188228

DrtyHarry
03-27-2010, 14:17
I heard a few guys ordered some BB 180s from Cabela's and they did in fact have MG bullets. I also recently found out that DT is also using MG. Hornady is backed up by over a year from what DT told me last week. Good luck fellow Z06er!

DH

agtman
03-27-2010, 17:28

Now I have been reading that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are using Montana Gold bullets instead of Gold Dots in some of their setups. I don't know much about any of this, but the consensus seems to be that the Montana Golds are a step down.

My question is, if my box of Buffalo Bore JHP's still says "Gold Dot" on it did I get lucky and get a box of the better bullets? When looking at pictures of the Montana Gold bullets online they look identical to the Buffalo Bores I received. Did Buffalo Bore just not change the writing on the box?

I have an old box of BB marked like that. Just haven't got around to shooting it yet.

So, ... either you received a box of old stock with real 180gn GDHPs or you've got new stock w/ Montana Gold bullets packaged in the OLD boxes still marked for the GDs. :dunno:

:cool:

07 LMB Z06
03-27-2010, 18:28
I heard a few guys ordered some BB 180s from Cabela's and they did in fact have MG bullets. I also recently found out that DT is also using MG. Hornady is backed up by over a year from what DT told me last week. Good luck fellow Z06er!

DH

Thanks for the quick reply, DH. Finally had a chance to take it out this past week. Can't get the :supergrin: off my face. Hope you've had a chance to do the same!

I have an old box of BB marked like that. Just haven't got around to shooting it yet.

So, ... either you received a box of old stock with real 180gn GDHPs or you've got new stock w/ Montana Gold bullets packaged in the OLD boxes still marked for the GDs. :dunno:

:cool:

Interesting, and thank you for the info. :thumbsup:

DrtyHarry
03-27-2010, 19:17
Thanks for the quick reply, DH. Finally had a chance to take it out this past week. Can't get the :supergrin: off my face. Hope you've had a chance to do the same!

Sure did!! :wavey: And the icing on the cake was taking it to the range with my new G20sf through all the twisty roads. :)

DH

G20gunner
03-27-2010, 20:42
As far as accuracy, there's not a thing wrong with Montana Gold bullets. It's just that they don't expand like XTP's or Gold Dots. They are not bonded bullets, and they use a hard lead alloy in them. In a word, they were made for target work, not self defense.

G20gunner:wavey:

Taterhead
03-28-2010, 13:43

If they're the Montana Gold I will probably just shoot off the last 15 I have (they are A LOT of fun to shoot), and just use the Double Tap Bonded Defense for home defense.

Edit: Link to thread with picture of the box I received.

If they are brass colored with a smallish hollow point then they are the MG bullets. The box would be incorrectly marked. GDHPs are copper jacketed and have a wide hollow point.