Need Feedback on a 50GI conversion for my G20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Feedback on a 50GI conversion for my G20

YellowTT
03-27-2010, 19:40
I was wondering if any of you guys have tried the 50GI conversion on a G20 and is it worth the $$$$? I really like my G20 and thought of getting a conversion barrel to shoot the Dillon(9x25) instead.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

07 LMB Z06
03-27-2010, 20:57
I considered this a few months ago. I have never shot it, but I did quite a bit of research and, all things considered, I didn't do it.

First, it's $699 (if I remember correctly). That's a lot of money. That's a whole new Glock plus accessories/ammo.

In addition, the 50 GI seems like it's basically for bragging rights; a big hole on the business end. It offers ballistics between a .45 acp and the 10mm, has an 8 round capacity with Guncrafter Industry's magazines (7 less than 10mm), and when I was searching for ammo I had a pretty tough time coming across it (may be more available now).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_GI

Finally, in connection with the ballistics statement above, it is just not what I thought when I heard of a .50 caliber bullet that I could shoot through my Glock. It is not the .50 AE that the Desert Eagle shoots, and if that's what you were expecting then you will be disappointed.

I'm sure it would be adequate as a self-defense round. It would make quite a large hole, but for $699 you can buy literally hundreds of rounds of the best 10mm defense ammo on the market, get plenty of practice shooting it, and it would likely provide better defensive capabilities (or at least equal).

uz2bUSMC
03-28-2010, 18:45
I hate to discuss things like this here because it's not caliber corner but I will.. just a bit...

Taking the 10mm and trading it in for the 5oh, GI is like expecting a Fat Ass to do the things someone with Barry Sanders talent to do. The 50 GI, imho, is the second closest thing to bowling at your adversary, it's slow and pathetic!

Let's see...
-choose a round that is even less availaible than the 10mm.
-choose a round that is really expensive to convert
-choose a round that is lacking in a bit of capacity, to say the least

There's a bunch of things I'd like to say, still, but I'll stop. Why throw your game at a fat chick when you can have a fitness model(10mm), let someone else take one for the team.